Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to get a reference from former employer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Unable to get a reference from former employer Reply with quote

I'm living back in the UK having come back in November last year from teaching in Daegu, I'm now wanting to go back again.

As the title of this thread states though, I can't get a reference from my former employer. This is because I can't really get in contact with them, I'm having to go through someone else and they said they keep telling them that they're busy and don't have time to do it, which is nice fo them.

Of course I want to tell any potential future employers that I've worked there in the past, so is this going to be a major problem for me? Just wondering if those who've taken jobs in the past have had similar problems and not really been quizzed that much on previous experience and therefore not had any issues.

I'm currently waiting to here if I can at least get a contact number for my old boss as I'm tempted to simply leave that as well as a name on any resumes if they do ask for a reference.

Thanks.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you work at a private school bofore, or in the EPIK/similar program
watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
so i was worried about his before with my 1st job, (as I left after they fired me because I called in sick, but then later, tried to make me stay. whereupon, I actually decided I didn't want to go back).
I found, that usually, most people didn't call the old job. So, I just gave the number and hoped for the best.

I'm looking for a new job now, and I find that people ask for my employer's contacts but I don't think they're actually calling them.
REcruiters, by the way, seem to be the pickiest by this, but employers, I don;t k now why, don't ask for the number. I'm applying, mostly, thru companies themselves and not usually dealing with the recruiters.
Dylan07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Did you work at a private school bofore, or in the EPIK/similar program

I was in a private school and I'd like my next job to be in a private school too.

watergirl wrote:
Hi
so i was worried about his before with my 1st job, (as I left after they fired me because I called in sick, but then later, tried to make me stay. whereupon, I actually decided I didn't want to go back).
I found, that usually, most people didn't call the old job. So, I just gave the number and hoped for the best.

Thanks, I was able to get the number of my old boss but apparently he is "too busy" to do a reference. I'll probably do the same as you and just hope for the best, they'll have the contact number and hopefully that will be enough.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Refs. From Former Employer Reply with quote

Nearly 10 years ago I worked for a small hagwon. The job didn't work out, but I got the letter of release, and my boss cancelled the visa.
More recently, I applied for a public school job through GEPIK. They wanted a ***reference*** from the old hagwon. I gave the schools old contact details and that silenced GEPIK. I had applied to EPIK earlier that year. At that point, I was unable to find the old school's contact details. That maybe why EPIK rejected me that time. If you have the schools address and phone, just giving them may be enough.
PREEST

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just call the school directly. I suspected that my former employers were would not be willing to help me with a reference so I decided to call the director and directly ask for a reference. They obliged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: