Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying out on second passport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jotofpam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Flying out on second passport Reply with quote

Sorry if this question has been asked, but when I do a search I only get a white screen.

I'm currently waiting for my visa issuance number, my documents only arrived in Korea on Thursday morning Korean time. My recruiter has told me the number will be issued next Friday, and with the Korean embassy stating 5 working days for the visa, I'm cutting it extremely fine as the school wants me out 28th Feb/1st March to start work 4th March, in fact I don't see there being any way I'll have my visa in time.

I hold both an Irish and a British passport, and it is the British passport I am using to apply for my visa. So I'm wondering if I can fly out on my Irish passport and then just have my British passport with visa sent to me by fed-ex or similar? Or do I need to fly out on the passport my visa is on?

Is there any likelihood of the visa being declined once the visa no is issued? As I wouldn't want to fly out only to find my visa was declined!
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hold both an Irish and a British passport, and it is the British passport I am using to apply for my visa. So I'm wondering if I can fly out on my Irish passport and then just have my British passport with visa sent to me by fed-ex or similar? Or do I need to fly out on the passport my visa is on?

You need to enter the country on a work visa, not tourist.

You could enter Korea, and then re-enter when you get the the British passport. Sorry, luck of the Irish I guess Laughing
Lahiho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it doesn't help at all, I am in a similar position, issuance by 20th and leaving on 27th/28th. I think you can get it done quicker if you go to the consulate but I don't know for sure.
Jotofpam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the consulate the visa takes 5 days, if you go in person on a Monday you can pick it up the following Monday, but it apparently is no quicker, except you don't have the delays with posting the forms and waiting for the visa to arrive by post. Unfortunately I'm in Ireland and so there is no way I can go in person.

Does anyone know what happens if you can't get to Korea for the date the school has asked?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jotofpam wrote:
According to the consulate the visa takes 5 days, if you go in person on a Monday you can pick it up the following Monday, but it apparently is no quicker, except you don't have the delays with posting the forms and waiting for the visa to arrive by post. Unfortunately I'm in Ireland and so there is no way I can go in person.

Does anyone know what happens if you can't get to Korea for the date the school has asked?

To answer your initial questions,... WAIT.

There is no panic if you are a day or two late (in spite of what they may have said).

You need to actually enter with the correct passport/visa to ACTIVATE said visa.

relax... it is all part of living abroad and being an expat.

Jotofpam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I've gotten myself a bit stressed out about the whole thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: