Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPA requirements for EPIK vs GEPIK etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeNow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: GPA requirements for EPIK vs GEPIK etc Reply with quote

Good day,

I'm a South African and have all the required documents ready to come teach English in South Korea asap: 120 hour TEFL certificate, Bachelors degree from accredited university, criminal record check, 2 sealed transcripts, 2 reference letters, passport etc. BUT, I have no prior teaching experience and a very unfortunate GPA score of 2.13 out of 4...

Two recruiters has thus far told me that I won't be accepted into EPIK or any other program/province because of my low GPA score (accept maybe GEPIK because apparently they do not consider GPA scores...). The reason for my low score is because I initially studied a different course at university, then left and got my sh*t together and then returned to the same university and completed my degree in a different program. Those first two years now unfortunately considerably brings down my GPA score.

Can somebody PLEASE advice me on all the possible routes of how to possibly obtain a late and reasonable placement in ANY public school in South Korea based on my profile asap?
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose another recruiter.

If you don't have AIDS or a criminal record, there are few things that can keep you out of Korea.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go direct to the horse:

http://www.epik.go.kr

or take GEPIK...

big_fella1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only 1 that finds judging GPA's laughable. At my Australian university sprouting what the teacher back to them got you a pass. To get the higher marks you had to demonstrate that you had performed further research beyond what you were taught.

Here if you memorise what the teacher says you get an A, anyway.

Good luck and I wouldn't ask, just apply and if it doesn't work there's always China.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get experience in a hakwon for a year, then apply to EPIK or GEPIK. Get really good reference letters, good job photo, demonstrate a love of kids, etc.

I asked a co-ordinator for SMOE about their GPA requirement, which is higher than EPIK's. They told me if references were less than stellar, they'd look at the marks, but otherwise not. Also if you apply in the middle of a semester when they're looking for someone quickly, that may help. But I don't have any current things to reference on that point. Just an educated guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: