Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koreans Out Of Their Usual Element Ignoring You
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Koreans Out Of Their Usual Element Ignoring You Reply with quote

I'm curious why some Koreans that you know, that you see on a daily basis, be it in the classroom, the 'bakery', the store -whatevs - totally ignore you when they see you passing by them on the street. Then, for example, the next day, treat you as usual (like, saying hello to you) when they see you back in their little shop.

Is it a culture thing? I swear I've made full-blown eye contact with them and they just look away (cue for someone to mention that I *obviously* was not wearing a suit and tie, how droll).

Is it a Confucius thing? The Taiwanese and Chinese don't do it, just wondering why a lot of (see, added the quantifier so no one gets angry) Koreans do.
waynehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gods, not everything every individual person does makes it a "Korean" thing. Maybe that particular individual is a little odd, maybe you know a lot of odd people and run into them frequently (although I'm reminded of the saying, "If you can't spot the sucker at the table, you're the sucker"). Do you greet them in Korean when you see them? All of the people in my neighborhood who I see regularly, the building ajeoshi, the drink-carts lady, the 7-11 clerks, all nod and respond kindly to my "안녕하세요?"s
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! People ignore people in America too, OP!!!! If you don't like it maybe you should go home (to America)!!
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
Agreed! People ignore people in America too, OP!!!! If you don't like it maybe you should go home (to America)!!

*Some* people do it in America but not the extent OP is claiming. Which is true OP, it's not just you. It's not a culture thing, it's a jerk thing.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a few pages on this one, it's got potential.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelove wrote:
I'm hoping for a few pages on this one, it's got potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdJ0865MN8
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its racism.

They don't want to be seen publicly befriending a foreigner. If they are seen as a traitor who welcomes foreign invaders, they lose cred. Koreans often bond by uniting against outsiders.

Its decreasing and its only a few people- mostly over 40. They will suck up to you when you patronise their business and there is nobody around to see. But if other Koreans are around or they are on the street then they feel obliged to treat you like a something on the bottom of their shoe.

Do not enter their premises again, but flagrantly patronise their rival business next door.
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if serious or trolling
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Not sure if serious or trolling

Trolling.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Its racism.

They don't want to be seen publicly befriending a foreigner. If they are seen as a traitor who welcomes foreign invaders, they lose cred. Koreans often bond by uniting against outsiders.

I think it's BS to assume that this is what's behind ALL of this behavior. Sure, some might be racism, but there are tons of other reasons for it. Some are jerks. Some are busy, and don't want to stop to talk. Some are in a pissy mood cuz they just had a fight with their spouse. Some are hung over and don't feel like talking.

But, as usual, you trot out the racism theory as THE reason.

I find that very telling of the way you think.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at nautilus.
metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's weird. I thought it was some bizarre cultural trait, didn't even cross my mind that it is racism. I guess the next time I go to Je Il Yak Guk for antihistamines, I am going to ask Benny why he is racist, and because he is racist, why he chooses an English name and still serves me. Thanks for the heads up, guys, appreciate it even though I feel angry and disappointed right now.
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a co-teacher the same age as me and we get on great, but we'll never just chat outside of classes or situations where she's obliged to speak to me regarding holidays, festivals and contract renewal. The only female staff members I ever speak to in the afternoons or outside of school have been at least 30 and usually old enough to be my mum. It's possible I'm a freak, but I don't think that's true. This sort of situation wouldn't happen back home. The younger the co-worker the more they avoid me
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: h Reply with quote

Think about it, if you were working at a store in your home country and you just happen to see someone you remember visiting your store before, would you say Hi to them? Unless you live in a town with a population of like 500 people then I wouldn't let it bother me and it's definitely not a "Korean" thing.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: h Reply with quote

Think about it, if you were working at a store in your home country and you just happen to see someone you remember visiting your store before, would you say Hi to them? Unless you live in a town with a population of like 500 people then I wouldn't let it bother me and it's definitely not a "Korean" thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: