Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humiliating HIV Test Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konglishman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China also has some issues with respect to privacy although I have to admit ignorance as to whether medical privacy is respected or not.

For example, on Christmas eve last year, I went to take my 2 cats to a pet sitting service as I was about to take a short Christmas vacation to Seoul. The lady who I had previously spoken with was not there. So, I called someone from work to translate. Speaking on the phone, I told my co-worker that I had my cats with me and was about to explain what I needed her to translate. But then, she said that "I know."

I asked her how she already knew that I had taken my cats with me from my apartment. She said that my neighbor had called her to tell her that. Shocked They had met once when she was helping me find an apartment, but I must say that I found it strange to learn that my neighbor was calling my co-worker to begin with not to mention the fact that it was over such a mundane detail of me carrying my cats in a pet carrier.

In a more disturbing example, I was at a belated New Year's Party organized by the school. It was only for the teachers and administrators (no students there). Food and drinks (including alcohol) was free. I had several glasses of wine (as had many other teachers there) by the time a contest had started. I went up second for the contest drawing and to my surprise won the much coveted iPad. Upon winning the iPad, one of the school administrators asked me to do the Gangnam Style dance. All in good fun, I obliged.

Well, a few days later, one of my 10th grade students was chatting with her friends in the hall. Then, she asked me if it was true. "Is what true?" I asked. Then, she said, "I heard you were drunk and doing the Gangnam Style dance." Shocked
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this a major irritation, I remember when I first came to Korea and my co-teacher not only looked at my results she discussed them with a nurse.

To the OP if you have to explain what you need in the future when im in doubt I always just say 피검사 and/or 소변검사, depending on what I need. It is by no means the natural Korean thing to say, it just helps me to avoid having to say HIV, AIDS or drugs.

Also has anyone else seen how they take and store urines tests? Paper cups all in a line with no sealed covering, on display. Back home at least you get a capsule with a sealable top that is covered for the most part by labels.

I gag every time I have to return my piss cup back to the tray with all the others. Cups half full of other people's piss is not something you want to see in the morning.
Smithington

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Also has anyone else seen how they take and store urines tests? Paper cups all in a line with no sealed covering, on display. Back home at least you get a capsule with a sealable top that is covered for the most part by labels.

What's worse is that people just walk out of the bathroom and put that cup on the nurses desk. The last time I had my tests done I came out with my cup and was about to put it on the desk. But there were five or six other cups there with no names or labels assigned to them yet. How the hell was she to ascertain whose urine sample belonged to which patient? Even if she later asked the patients to point out their cup, how can there be any certainty that they pointed out the right one? After all, they all look pretty much the same. So I stood there with my cup in hand and refused to put it down until she took my paperwork and attached a label to my cup. We have enough loops to jump through here without my being assigned the urine results of some ajoshie who has just returned from his yearly 'golf trip' to Thailand. Shocked
rollo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand this, as the delicate flowers you are you shouold never ever be subjected to any sort of stress or any thing outside of how things are done in the West.

I wept when I read that you actually had to endure a medical test. A medical test that somehow I am not sure how is racist.

I also am not sure was it the anti-spectrum orginization that administerd the test???

but you are sure it is only being done for racial motives? How do you know that? telepathy perhaps.
but there is a solution so that you are not exposed to anymore of this horror,

They have airports here where they have planes that can fly you back to the West. See problem solved. Your delicate sensabilities will be safe that way.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
I totally understand this, as the delicate flowers you are you shouold never ever be subjected to any sort of stress or any thing outside of how things are done in the West.

I wept when I read that you actually had to endure a medical test. A medical test that somehow I am not sure how is racist.

I also am not sure was it the anti-spectrum orginization that administerd the test???

but you are sure it is only being done for racial motives? How do you know that? telepathy perhaps.

They have airports here where they have planes that can fly you back to the West. See problem solved. Your delicate sensabilities will be safe that way.

Taking a medical exam isn't that bad. But the results should be private, right?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:

Laughing
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not speaking on other medical privacy related questions, but the OP in this years old thread is basically blaming the natives for him being unable to speak in Korean and it resulting in a cross-cultural and linguistic screw-up.

According to the OP he had a note that said exactly what needed to be done, but of course the OP lacks the linguistic ability to confirm if indeed that was the case.

Then the OP basically does the equivalent of "WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH?!?!" and blames the nurses for what happens.

Instead of asking for a blood test, or a physical the OP asks for an AIDs test and then is upset when they get sent to get an AIDs test (which incidentally is not the full screening and not the proper test).

To top it off the OP claims they were "stigmatized" as if anyone gave a crap about that incident 15 minutes later.

Other incidents deserve sympathy, the OP's seems to be the result of someone who doesn't excel at thinking and reacting calmly and rationally.
rkc76sf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Not speaking on other medical privacy related questions, but the OP in this years old thread is basically blaming the natives for him being unable to speak in Korean and it resulting in a cross-cultural and linguistic screw-up.

According to the OP he had a note that said exactly what needed to be done, but of course the OP lacks the linguistic ability to confirm if indeed that was the case.

Then the OP basically does the equivalent of "WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH?!?!" and blames the nurses for what happens.

Instead of asking for a blood test, or a physical the OP asks for an AIDs test and then is upset when they get sent to get an AIDs test (which incidentally is not the full screening and not the proper test).

To top it off the OP claims they were "stigmatized" as if anyone gave a crap about that incident 15 minutes later.

Other incidents deserve sympathy, the OP's seems to be the result of someone who doesn't excel at thinking and reacting calmly and rationally.

No he's not- he's talking about the lack of privacy and tact amongst the hospital workers. They could have told him in a more hushed tone, instead of blurting it out in front of everyone. Clearly you didn't understand the post.
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ this website.

It seems like half the people on here are self hating/ self righteous westerners who loathe and hate all foreigners. Any complaint turns into a rescue/defense mission to save Koreans.

And another half are the "I hate everything about Korea" crowd. Surprised Which makes for great threads to read alot.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkc76sf wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

No he's not- he's talking about the lack of privacy and tact amongst the hospital workers. They could have told him in a more hushed tone, instead of blurting it out in front of everyone. Clearly you didn't understand the post.

He brought it on himself. His lack of knowledge of the native language and failure to ask for the test in its proper and more discreet terms is what caused this.

The blood test we get also tests for liver function and other health conditions as well as AIDs all in one. Would he have been offended if the nurses said "liver" or "heart" too noisily? Of course not. But his failure to understand the nature of the test and to describe it as an AIDs test in conjuncture with his lack of Korean is what caused this cross-cultural failure. You could also blame the nurses, but to put all the blame on them and none on the OP is the height of self-entitlement.

Picture this- you're a receptionist back home and some, I dunno what's the least popular ethnicity out there (Middle Eastern? Korean?) guy comes in and starts demanding things in Arabic or Korean and talking down to you and treating you like a moron because you don't know his native language. Maybe you'd blurt out "Gonorrhea" or "AIDs" loudly too after 10 minutes of those antics.

Seriously, picture a Muslim guy with a big beard, a scowl, and going on at you half in Arabic and writing in Arabic and getting upset you aren't fulfilling his requests. The height of patience we would be, yes?
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pretty open person but I try to be a bit secretive about anything I wouldn't want everyone at my school to know. My co-teacher called me up just a couple of days ago to tell me that another foreign teacher she works with at a different school (a friend of mine) is sick and will require an operation. I can't stand the idea of my CT calling people up to tell them my news so I try not to tell her much

Last year I went to get my health checkup done myself because I couldn't be bothered listening to my CT wittering on that afternoon, but this time I'll probably do myself it on privacy grounds

Steelrails wrote:

Give it a rest.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
rkc76sf wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

He brought it on himself. His lack of knowledge of the native language and failure to ask for the test in its proper and more discreet terms is what caused this.

The blood test we get also tests for liver function and other health conditions as well as AIDs all in one. Would he have been offended if the nurses said "liver" or "heart" too noisily? Of course not. But his failure to understand the nature of the test and to describe it as an AIDs test in conjuncture with his lack of Korean is what caused this cross-cultural failure. You could also blame the nurses, but to put all the blame on them and none on the OP is the height of self-entitlement.

Picture this- you're a receptionist back home and some, I dunno what's the least popular ethnicity out there (Middle Eastern? Korean?) guy comes in and starts demanding things in Arabic or Korean and talking down to you and treating you like a moron because you don't know his native language. Maybe you'd blurt out "Gonorrhea" or "AIDs" loudly too after 10 minutes of those antics.

Seriously, picture a Muslim guy with a big beard, a scowl, and going on at you half in Arabic and writing in Arabic and getting upset you aren't fulfilling his requests. The height of patience we would be, yes?

Little bit different and comparing apples and oranges. Not being arrogant about it, but English is the linga franca of the world. You would expect it to be used or at least understood in the most basic sense. Many people took English in school even if they are far from fluent. How many take Korean or Arabic in school in the west? We are actually here to boost the level of Koreans' English so they can competitively trade with the rest of the world and continue to grow their economy even more. Japan chooses to hide behind translators and look how well their economy has done during the past 20 years. (This does not mean English is linguistically superior to any other language. It merely means, it has come into shape as the language of business.)
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say, I don't expect people to be fully fluent in English here, at all. I even speak some basic Korean to people and they speak some basic English to me and we meet in the middle. Now complex things, I do need an English speaker, of course.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@steelrails

It was clear from the OP that the problem was not communication as the nurses eventually understood, albeit with great difficulty. The problem was shouting it out in front of god knows how many people.

To take your laboured analogy, if the nurses back home finally understood the arabic speaking middle easterner would it be ok for them to shout it out in front of other people?

There was no need to do that, they should have shown more tact and respect. I dare say many, many Koreans would feel the same if they were in that position.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was clear from the OP that the problem was not communication as the nurses eventually understood, albeit with great difficulty

Yes or no, did the OP possess any ability in Korean to express what he wanted?

Yes or no, did the OP attempt to communicate in the native language of the nurses?

Yes or no, did the OP ask for the correct test?

The answer to all of these is no, therefore clearly communication was at the core of things. If the OP has good ability to speak in Korean does this situation occur? If the OP asked for the general blood test (the correct test), rather than an AIDs test, does this occur?

Clearly the OP was getting a little agitated, is it possible that the nurses themselves were a little agitated as well? If they were, is it fair to solely blame them for the outcome?

The point isn't that the nurses were innocent, but rather they were not wholly guilty, nor is the OP a complete victim.

The reality is that the less ability you have to speak the native language of the country in which you are residing, the greater the chances for problems like this to occur, and one must be willing to accept their own responsibility and fault when these take place.

We're all foreign language teachers. Experience should prepare one for the fact that in such situations, voices tend to rise and speaking in low tones tends to not be good for understanding, and that a frequent reaction to the "Eureka!" of understanding someone is to say the word in a louder voice. There is a reason "Eureka!" always has an exclamation point.

Quote:
You would expect it to be used or at least understood in the most basic sense.

English here is to be appreciated, not expected.

Quote:
How many take Korean or Arabic in school in the west?

Fine, substitute French. A nice agitated Frenchman in your face getting upset with you that you don't speak French.

As for being stigmatized and making it about AIDs, the OP brought it upon himself. When I go in for my yearly physical, I treat it as a physical and I don't regard it as being stigmatized. The AIDs test is not the central focus when I go to the hospital. Heck, it's not even the central focus of the blood test. A simple change in mindset would have resulted in a completely different attempt to communicate what the OP was trying to get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: