Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel insurance at ICN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Travel insurance at ICN? Reply with quote

I'm heading to Malaysia for a week. It would be convenient to buy coverage at the airport. Any suggestions? [On-line doesnt work for me -- no credit card.]
waynehead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no longer available for foreigners, AFAIK.
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one last year from the Samsung counter at the airport. The others there such as AIG no longer offer it. When I asked why they said it was to do with the English translations of the policies not matching the Korean versions.
For what it's worth the Samsung policy offered pretty minimal care, but it was quite cheap.
KEB offers free international travel insurance if you change more than 300USD of foreign currency at any of their branches (except the airport).
From their facebook page....

Quote:
I just heard from a friend that keb provides travel insurance should you exchange the equivalent of over $300 at a keb branch. I just came back from japan and my flight was cancelled on my return. I exchanged 500,000 won before i left at keb but was never told about this insurance. Is it possible i could have been covered for the cancelled flight?

You were automatically enrolled in the Overseas Travel Insurance. If you have your currency-exchange slip, that can serve as evidence of your enrollment. Please visit a branch and request an insurance booklet outlining the related coverage for flight delays/cancellation to determine if your situation would be covered. - KEB Facebook Team

Worth asking about.

For what it's worth also the level of medical care in Malaysia is generally pretty good, in the region I'd say it's only surpassed by Singapore. Not bank breakingly expensive either. I remember getting some weird skin infection there a few years ago, went to the local hospital and between the doctor's visit and the meds it came to 2 ringgit, which at that time was just over 50 cents.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No KEB branches in my town. I know the booths at the airport turn away foreigners, but I remember buying coverage from the KEB bank there a few times a few years ago, it wasnt expensive. I wonder if that service is still available.

Could a local travel agent sell me coverage?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Could a local travel agent sell me coverage?

They can usually sell you coverage (emergency medical, trip delay, missed flights) if you buy your ticket/package from them at the same time. They usually can't/won't offer it as an after-the-fact purchase.

It won't cover you if you are returning to your home country but should be fine for emergency cover in a 3rd country and repatriation to Korea if needed.

lemak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
I got one last year from the Samsung counter at the airport.

At least on the Incheon airport website they claim they still offer it for foreigners. Only Samsung Insurance - not the others.

http://www.airport.kr/airport/facility/efalicityInfo.iia?carId=24&facilityId=80

Might be worth calling the counter and confirming. When I took out their policy they all spoke decent English.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lemak. Thats useful.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I was able to buy travel insurance at the airport yesterday, from a company called Ace Insurance. They have a booth behind check-in counter C. According to the girl at the airport info desk who referred me, they're the only ones selling to foreigners.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
For the record, I was able to buy travel insurance at the airport yesterday, from a company called Ace Insurance. They have a booth behind check-in counter C. According to the girl at the airport info desk who referred me, they're the only ones selling to foreigners.

Great info.
daeguowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get coverage if any part of your trip includes any time (including a flight change) in your home country.
cmr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:

Could you tell us, if you don't mind, how much you paid, for how many days traveling, and for up to how much you were covered?
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost me w53000 for a week. That was high end because I'm an oldtimer. Covered lots of different stuff, but I guess the key figure was 20 mil for accident/sickness expenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: