Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looked at fire story link from Joongang Daily and also saw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthquakez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Looked at fire story link from Joongang Daily and also saw Reply with quote

The story about Korean staff at Seonam University, Namwon, Nth Jeolla, being forced to take unpaid leave unless they recruited enough students.

According to the story in the Joongang Daily, a professor is quoted as saying he registered his family as students in order to avoid taking the pay cut. Rolling Eyes I mean, come on, we know the uni administration are bad doing this especially as funds were embezzled and that's why the financial pressure was on, but REGISTERING YOUR OWN WIFE AND CHILDREN AS STUDENTS TO AVOID UNPAID LEAVE?!

It just seems a ridiculous Korean approach to a problem, just like the higher numbers of Korean staff/politicians/bureaucrats/celebrities who have lied about and faked qualifications.

Anyway, am I correct in saying that this uni advertised for native English speaking teachers not so long ago on the eslcafe? I pity those who answered that ad and got a job.

Anybody know about what's happening to the foreigner teachers there? Sounds like a 'wonderful' place to work..... Shocked
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the big deal about registering his family as students so he has a job and gets paid.

The universities, partially due to government pressure to rise in the global rankings, are really putting the squeeze on professors, especially those without tenure. One result is grade inflation; professors can't afford (literally) to get bad student evaluations.

Education in Korea is an industry, and like other industires here, it's not the quality of the product but the size of the profit that matters.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the university where someone at the top embezzled like $90 million?

I have heard that Korean teachers at hakwans are paid more based on how many students they bring into the school.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the OP's point was that the teacher is going to b taking a pay cut anyway? i think it might cost some money to register his wife and kids for classes, wouldn't it?
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
maybe the OP's point was that the teacher is going to b taking a pay cut anyway? i think it might cost some money to register his wife and kids for classes, wouldn't it?

No, it says to 'avoid the pay cut."

As for the tuition costs who knows? Maybe they can drop the class later and get some money back, maybe family members get free or discounted tuition.

But the way some Korean university contracts are structured, if you don't teach the required number of hours, then you lose all the bonuses and take a drastic pay cut.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2967337

Quote:
At Seonam University in Namwon, North Jeolla, which has been embroiled in controversy as its founder Lee Hong-ha, who was accused of embezzling school funds of over 100 billion won ($92.2 million), was released on bail citing health reasons earlier this month, one in six professors are forced to take unpaid leave every year, in part depending on how many freshmen they have recruited.

�It has been nearly 20 years since I started teaching as a professor,� said a Seonam University professor, who asked for anonymity. �There are several occasions in which I was forced to take unpaid leave and live like an unemployed man for a whole year.�

The professor, who has again been placed on unpaid leave since last March, told the JoongAng Ilbo he didn�t talk publicly about the forced unpaid leave, a practice that has been common at the troubled school, because it was too �embarrassing.�

�But since people now know about all the wrongdoings committed by Lee Hong-ha, I decided to stand up.�

While the founder of Seonam University is now standing trial for his embezzlement of school funds amounting to 100.4 billion won, it has been discovered the unpaid leave system was introduced by Lee in 2005.

atwood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2967337

Quote:
At Seonam University in Namwon, North Jeolla, which has been embroiled in controversy as its founder Lee Hong-ha, who was accused of embezzling school funds of over 100 billion won ($92.2 million), was released on bail citing health reasons earlier this month, one in six professors are forced to take unpaid leave every year, in part depending on how many freshmen they have recruited.

�It has been nearly 20 years since I started teaching as a professor,� said a Seonam University professor, who asked for anonymity. �There are several occasions in which I was forced to take unpaid leave and live like an unemployed man for a whole year.�

The professor, who has again been placed on unpaid leave since last March, told the JoongAng Ilbo he didn�t talk publicly about the forced unpaid leave, a practice that has been common at the troubled school, because it was too �embarrassing.�

�But since people now know about all the wrongdoings committed by Lee Hong-ha, I decided to stand up.�

While the founder of Seonam University is now standing trial for his embezzlement of school funds amounting to 100.4 billion won, it has been discovered the unpaid leave system was introduced by Lee in 2005.

I wonder why the professors didn't try to find jobs elsewhere?

I think presidents and deans embezzling or misusing school funds is fairly common, especially at schools that receive lots of donations. Financial oversight seems to be really poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: