Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vegetarian bbq joints in seoul
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

i'm looking for a vegetarian bbq place in seoul. it can also have meat, but someplace that has like big giant mushrooms, peppers, etc. that you can order on the menu. anyone know of a place like this?

*just a disclaimer, this is not for me, as i think vegetarianism is ridiculous. it's for a friend*
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your username is very appropriate.

I'll make a suggestion, though. Instead of BBQ, try doing a shabu-shabu thing. There's an awesome szechuan hotpot place in Hongdae that has a lot of veggie-friendly options. Lots of mushrooms, tofu, etc. It's been a huge hit for friends I've sent their way.

It's called Bulia. They have places in Gangnam and Hyewha as well.

www.bulia.co.kr
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With shabu shabu it might depend on how strict a vegetarian your friend is, because the broth may not be vegetarian.

For BBQ never heard of such a place, but you might be able to ask a place if it's possible if your Korean is good enough. They might look at you oddly, but who knows... Unlikely, but worth asking all the same. I don't think that anywhere has that option normally.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
With shabu shabu it might depend on how strict a vegetarian your friend is, because the broth may not be vegetarian.

99.99% or greater chance that the broth is not vegetarian. All I can think of is to seek out a "temple food" place if you're not thrilled with simply ordering the already cooked BBQ choices from Loving Hut.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
just a disclaimer, this is not for me, as i think vegetarianism is ridiculous. it's for a friend

LOL, it IS totally ridiculous. I just converted a long-term vegi, dude is eating meat like crazy now. It's even harder than converting lesbians by the way.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been a veggie here for 4 years now, i weigh between 80 and 95 kg depending on how much i train/ wether im doing lots of cardio or not- none of its fat. its not that crazy...
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegetarian BBQ sounds like an oxymoron to me.
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:
just a disclaimer, this is not for me, as i think vegetarianism is ridiculous. it's for a friend

LOL, it IS totally ridiculous. I just converted a long-term vegi, dude is eating meat like crazy now. It's even harder than converting lesbians by the way.

Is it as ridiculous as buying into the current fad diet that promotes fringe nutrition conspiracies regarding cholesterol and saturated fat etc.. And promoting a high meat diet when all cancer, heart health organizations and expert nutritional panels advise against such?
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegetables aren't food....vegetables are what food eats.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

Is it as ridiculous as buying into the current fad diet that promotes fringe nutrition conspiracies regarding cholesterol and saturated fat etc.. And promoting a high meat diet when all cancer, heart health organizations and expert nutritional panels advise against such?

No, it's more ridiculous than that.

There are NO tribes of vegitarians in our blood line, because those people died off. Lack of B12, oops dead. There are 100% meat tribes, and lots of mixed vegi/meat tribes, but no 100% vegi tribes. They died.

That's nature saying "hey man, don't do that". Wink
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

comparing one brand of bleach to another when shopping for what to have for dinner doesn't make either any worse. that's a pointless way to look at life.

yes, eating too much of most meats isn't good for you, but eating too much of anything at all isn't good for you.

either way, the human body was not designed to eat only vegetables, and that is why i personally say vegetarianism is ridiculous. i eat large amounts of vegetables, especially leafy greens and follow the real food pyramid (http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/paleo_food_pyramid.jpg), but i'm smart enough to know and realize that the human body evolved to eat certain things, meat being one of those things as as our main source of protein.

the only reason vegetarianism is viable today is that food science has taught people how to extract large amounts of protein from a few key vegetables. however, if the world went to the toilet tomorrow and those tofu and seitan making factories shut down, well let's just say vegetarians would be in a bad bad place and would be forced to eat like they have evolved to, or die.

this is simple science and has nothing really to do with my opinion.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

No, what's ridiculous is that you bring up a fad that died 10 years ago. What's even more ridiculous is the suggestion that humans aren't adapted to be omnivores (and therefore do not thrive as such).

Last edited by 12ax7 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prediction, this thread is going to get awesome... Cool
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
drydell wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

No, it's more ridiculous than that.

There are NO tribes of vegitarians in our blood line, because those people died off. Lack of B12, oops dead. There are 100% meat tribes, and lots of mixed vegi/meat tribes, but no 100% vegi tribes. They died.

That's nature saying "hey man, don't do that". Wink

lot of bug and grub eating with tribes too - hope that's part of your 'optimal' diet - oh and quite a bit of cannibalism also..

meat eaters are often deficient in B12 too - especially elderly - what about Vit D? - if we dont live in a sunny climate we probably all have to take a D supplement too (unless we eat fortified foods like milk etc) what's the big deal with taking a supplement - are you against all modern medicine and non-'natural' interventions?

Tribes eat what they can to survive in their local environments - this probably doesn't mean a diet optimal for longevity in human health.

Last edited by drydell on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vegetarian bbq joints in seoul Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
drydell wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

comparing one brand of bleach to another when shopping for what to have for dinner doesn't make either any worse. that's a pointless way to look at life.
eh?

yes, eating too much of most meats isn't good for you, but eating too much of anything at all isn't good for you.

You think eating loads of meat and loads of fruit and vegetables is comparable in terms of health outcomes?

either way, the human body was not designed to eat only vegetables, and that is why i personally say vegetarianism is ridiculous.

i eat large amounts of vegetables, especially leafy greens and follow the real food pyramid (http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/paleo_food_pyramid.jpg), but i'm smart enough to know and realize that the human body evolved to eat certain things, meat being one of those things as as our main source of protein.

lol at your source - they think this is 'paleo' food... http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/double-decker-gluten-free-lamington-recipe/ haha

the only reason vegetarianism is viable today is that food science has taught people how to extract large amounts of protein from a few key vegetables. however, if the world went to the toilet tomorrow and those tofu and seitan making factories shut down, well let's just say vegetarians would be in a bad bad place and would be forced to eat like they have evolved to, or die.

theres so much that's wrong in this sentence I just wouldn't know where to start - are you expecting the collapse of civilization in the near future?

this is simple science and has nothing really to do with my opinion.

You use the word 'designed' like a lot of paleos do which shows from the start that your grasp of evolution and science is at a low base starting point.

We have evolved over millions of years from mostly frugivorous apes but became adapted to eat meat and - which gives an evolutionary advantage in times of caloric scarcity such as very cold times. This (and this is where paleos fail to understand evolution) does not mean meat is optimal for health and longevity - all evolution 'cares' about is continued reproduction of the species - not living until a ripe old age. That is also why we - like herbivores animals all get atherosclerosis if fed a high meat diet but all obligate carnivores do not..
in other words - eating like small populations at extreme edges of environment (Inuit) is a very bad idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: