Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
I used my leather straps, though. My forearms aren't strong enough yet to grip that much weight without, even with a one hand over/one hand under grip.

So you bring up something I'm kind of wondering about. You heavy lifters out there, what's your opinion on using assistance equipment? Chalk? Straps? Gloves? Belts? Shoes? suits? What do you particularly use and what's your limit?[/quote]

Only thing I use nowadays is chalk for deads and that is it. Used to use a belt for squats when I went heavy, now I just go raw and take greater care of my form.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use assistance equipment, but in the same token I'm not a heavy lifter. I'm a barely more than body weight lifter, which brings up a question of my own. In the following lifts:

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Overhead Press

What do you guys consider heavy or what weight would make one strong in your eyes, in terms of body weight?
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
I don't use assistance equipment, but in the same token I'm not a heavy lifter. I'm a barely more than body weight lifter, which brings up a question of my own. In the following lifts:

I meant "heavy lifter" in the relative sense, someone who is pushing their own maximum levels, not necessarily what is considered heavy for someone else.

As for what I consider to be heavy, I say a weight heavy enough that you can complete up to 15 reps with good form but no more than that. (I know that's not really the answer you're looking for.)
silkhighway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To really answer your question, I was just looking at this link the other day:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf .

I think their "Untrained" standards are way too high though, or at the very least they're not taking into account other variables like someone's height, flexibility, and aerobic conditioning.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:

I meant "heavy lifter" in the relative sense, someone who is pushing their own maximum levels, not necessarily what is considered heavy for someone else.

As for what I consider to be heavy, I say a weight heavy enough that you can complete up to 15 reps with good form but no more than that. (I know that's not really the answer you're looking for.)

15 reps is a warmup set for me.

Normally, between 8 and 10 reps (always to muscle failure). I might be able to bring it up to 12 if I have someone spotting me.

If I'm feeling particularly good, I'll do a drop set, starting really heavy (3-5 reps to muscle failure) and keeping on taking the weight off with any rest in between sets (just going to muscle failure, which can be anywhere from 4 to 15 reps) until I'm down to a ridiculously light weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_set
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Overhead Press

What do you guys consider heavy or what weight would make one strong in your eyes, in terms of body weight?

I'm not lifting yet what I normally consider heavy since I've only been going to the gym for two months after a good 6-8 months break, but I typically did 2.5 times my body weight for those exercises in the past. It's not particularly impressive when you remember that top power-lifters squat and deadlift over half a metric ton.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silk - I'm all for assistance equipment. I use straps now, a belt, and wrist wraps. In the past, I used chalk, knee wraps, and elbow wraps - it depends on the weight I'm lifting compared to my "normal" - also, with me being 39 now, I find I like to keep certain joints secure and warm during certain lifts.

Here's a vid of me training chest with a bud (in that gym in Omokyo). I wear the elbow wraps for the first two exercises because I wanted to be conservative with my elbows. After I drop to a lighter weight, and more isolation work, I drop them.

Really, for me, it's just knowing what my body likes.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen reverse pyramid. Always did the 5 x 8/10 thing. You make better gains that way?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, for me, I make strength gains when I mix it up - reverse pyramid, partials, tempo changes. The first one is a fave of the guy I was training with... so we went with it.

Basically, ya "warm up" with set of around 5 as you climb the weight - not wanting to go close to failure until your max set. Then, you give it your all, and rep out all the way down the mountain.

Basically, don't blow your load until you're on top. Wink
Jyang486

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.leangains.com/2008/12/reverse-pyramid-revisited.html?m=1

It's what Martin Berkhan recommends for lean muscle gain.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Ah, for me, I make strength gains when I mix it up - reverse pyramid, partials, tempo changes. The first one is a fave of the guy I was training with... so we went with it.

Basically, ya "warm up" with set of around 5 as you climb the weight - not wanting to go close to failure until your max set. Then, you give it your all, and rep out all the way down the mountain.

Basically, don't blow your load until you're on top. Wink

Yeah I've been doing RPT lately and I do 20 kg increments for all warmups, 5 reps per warm up set. Then I do a warm up set of 3 of 10 kg less than my heaviest set, and then go try to hit 6 reps on my heavy set, 2 more reps on heavy set minus ten percent weight, then 2 more reps on heavy set minus twenty percent weight. This is how I train for the power lifts. If I can complete 6/8/10, I bump up the weight. For assistance, I do two sets. 8 reps on heavy set, 12 reps on heavy set minus twenty percent. Only 5 movements per workout as per LeanGains RPT.
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of straps. In my opinion, your grip strength is a part of your strength so it seems pointless to use and neglect your grip. A belt is different because increasing your lifts with your belt on also increases your raw lift. I would love a pair of lifting shoes but I don't own one so I just go barefoot when no one's looking. Or I wear my boxing shoes since they are flat.

silkhighway wrote:
To really answer your question, I was just looking at this link the other day:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf .

I think their "Untrained" standards are way too high though, or at the very least they're not taking into account other variables like someone's height, flexibility, and aerobic conditioning.

I try to keep an open mind but I really do think crossfit is a joke. It's just a good way to get injured.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about straps/belts "damaging" raw strength is... not everyone cares about that portion of strength.

For me, because of years of injuries, I find the best path to recovery is the one that allows me to keep lifting (pain free), and hitting those weak areas.

If I didn't wear a belt, I may not be able to do bent over rows with more than 20lbs (for example). And while it may be good for me to build up my core to where I can lift more (not "may", it IS!), I always want to be able to train my lats/back in the mean time.

Same goes for grip and the like - for me.

But, to each their own.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
http://www.leangains.com/2008/12/reverse-pyramid-revisited.html?m=1

It's what Martin Berkhan recommends for lean muscle gain.

Interesting, reverse pyramid does make sense. Maybe a light-weight warm up set and then go for the gold!

I'm done with my cardio phase and back to 'lifting heavy stuff' mode...so may give it a go.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
I'm not a fan of straps. In my opinion, your grip strength is a part of your strength so it seems pointless to use and neglect your grip.

On the flip side, one could argue that not using straps when you've maxed out what your grip can hold is neglecting the main muscle group aimed by that particular exercise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 27 of 51

Jump to: