Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
If I didn't wear a belt, I may not be able to do bent over rows with more than 20lbs (for example).

20lbs? No way. That's just 8kg. You're being modest.

Do dumbbell rows. Less stress on the lower back.

At the gym I used to go to, they had 70kg dumbbells. That's what I used for dumbbell bent-over rows. The heaviest dumbbells at my current gym are only 20kg, so I tie two together with a towel to get more resistance. It's not ideal, but it's better than the wacky row machine they have (the worst I've every tried).
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
fermentation wrote:
I'm not a fan of straps. In my opinion, your grip strength is a part of your strength so it seems pointless to use and neglect your grip.

On the flip side, one could argue that not using straps when you've maxed out what your grip can hold is neglecting the main muscle group aimed by that particular exercise.

yeah, that's the school that I'm currently in. Not taking away from the other side, it's just not for me right now.

12ax7 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
If I didn't wear a belt, I may not be able to do bent over rows with more than 20lbs (for example).

20lbs? No way. That's just 8kg. You're being modest.

Do dumbbell rows. Less stress on the lower back.

At the gym I used to go to, they had 70kg dumbbells. That's what I used for dumbbell bent-over rows. The heaviest dumbbells at my current gym are only 20kg, so I tie two together with a towel to get more resistance. It's not ideal, but it's better than the wacky row machine they have (the worst I've every tried).

yeah, that weight was just an example. My gym has 70lb dumbbells and I use 'em for one arm rows... but barbell rows are another matter - have to be pretty careful with them (and how my lower back feels while doing them).

Just trying to give an example of how I train around weak points and injuries.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to add a bit more volume to my workouts of late. Trained back today.

4 sets of mid-grip pull downs
4 sets of wide grip (assisted) chins
4 sets of one arm rows
4 sets of seated cable rows
4 sets of straight arm pull downs (with slightly bent arms. lol)
5 sets of roman chair spinal erectors

I'm up to 97kgs now, so feeling pretty good about the progress.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I'm up to 97kgs now, so feeling pretty good about the progress.

Getting big.

I'm short and stocky, so I'll never be able to bring my weight up to that much and remain lean as long as I want to do it naturally and healthily.

I've actually cut down on my protein intake this week because I was bulking up way too fast (I was losing definition). I'll be doing a lot of hiking when spring comes, so I'll up my caloric intake then. I'm aiming to be in the 80-85kg (lean) range by this summer.

Frankly, I'm only going to bulk to over 80kg to see if I can still bench as much as I used to (185kg).
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a massive bench, man. 400lbs!!! I'd love to see ya do that - especially at that weight. Anyone that can more than double the bodyweight for bench is tops in my book. My bench has never been all that great... I love training chest, but could care less about bench. Maybe that'll change if I move gyms - sometimes a different environment can inspire you in different ways. If I'm around big lifters, I might start to get that twinkle in my eye.

Recently, I've started tracking my calories. I'm prone to not eating much, so watching my intake helps me add to it when needed. I try for around 3300+ calories per day, with protein being around 200-250.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
That's a massive bench, man. 400lbs!!! I'd love to see ya do that - especially at that weight. Anyone that can more than double the bodyweight for bench is tops in my book. My bench has never been all that great... I love training chest, but could care less about bench. Maybe that'll change if I move gyms - sometimes a different environment can inspire you in different ways. If I'm around big lifters, I might start to get that twinkle in my eye.

Recently, I've started tracking my calories. I'm prone to not eating much, so watching my intake helps me add to it when needed. I try for around 3300+ calories per day, with protein being around 200-250.

Actually, I did that using a chest press machine (the kind you load up with free weights and each arm moves independently from the other). It gave me a huge psychological advantage over the barbell. I could push up hard in a straight and fluid motion without worrying about flipping the weights on one side or the other. I also didn't need to worry about getting crushed like I would with a barbell. The most I was confident enough to try with a barbell was in the 140kg-150kg range.

It's getting up there again. I did 120kg (on the Smith machine) yesterday. I'll stick with that weight for a month or so before bringing it up to 150kg. Nothing too impressive yet, but not too shabby considering I've only been back to the gym for only 6 weeks after a long absence.

I've gained 1.5kg since last week despite my attempts not to bulk up too much. I'm positive it's the pre and post workout BCAA that I've started taking that's responsible for those gains because I've cut the amount of food I'm eating (I've lost my appetite this week) and I only drink a protein drink and take creatine on the days I workout, not twice a day like I normally do.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to start doing the BCAA thing while training. See if I notice anything.

As for the bench... I'm guessing you mean something like a Hammer Strength press... yeah, tons easier than free weight.

Either way, that 150 is still big for your bodyweight.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I think I'm going to start doing the BCAA thing while training. See if I notice anything.

As for the bench... I'm guessing you mean something like a Hammer Strength press... yeah, tons easier than free weight.

Either way, that 150 is still big for your bodyweight.

Thanks.

Yes, that's a similar kind of machine, except I'd be in a supine position.

I really liked it because I could lift as heavy as I could without worrying about injuring myself.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started back at the gym last week after five years away. Going for a kind of generic compound routine, I don't want to go for mass or increase peak strength or anything like that. I just have really let myself go physically and I've become quite wimpy.

Once the ice is all gone and it's a bit warmer I will also start commuting by bicycle again.

Problem is, it's been five years haha. So far I've mainly been relearning proper form and trying to avoid injuring myself through bravado by sticking to low or no weight. Nevertheless, the leg workouts the last two weeks have left me absolutely smashed. So damn sore... Mad

Kind of worried because the barbell for squats is kind of crappy. I've been trying to avoid the machine but I think I will end up having to use it before too long, or I'll end up killing someone due to weights falling off.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice - take it easy. I took about 6 months to ease back into lifting again. I did the "old man shuffle" for most of that time... and I'm happy I did. No rush, man - but welcome back!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's not my first reboot so I kind of know when I've pushed myself "enough" with most exercises for that first month. But I've never put much focus on legs and generally just hopped on some machines for a lazy day, so I went a little overboard. Mad
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
That's a massive bench, man. 400lbs!!!

Holy Jezus, who did what? Shocked

I had a super-beast workout this morning; vegis and salmon fried in butter...then banged out some reverse pyramid action w/ dead-lifts, squats and bench...follow up with some bloody steak cooked in butter. Reverse-P really helps to get up to the next higher weight.

...uhh but nothing like 400lb for me. :/
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to follow pyramid (not reverse) for no real reason. Just read that it's good, forgot why, never thought to read up again.

What are the advantages of the pyramid-style sets over your basic 4x10 or whatever? I'm doing the 4x10 style now. It just seems like pyramid helps you drive your max up faster. Since I don't care about my max as much as I used to I'm thinking 4x10 is better? As in it will lead to better..."definition"?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I had a super-beast workout this morning; vegis and salmon fried in butter...then banged out some reverse pyramid action w/ dead-lifts, squats and bench...follow up with some bloody steak cooked in butter. Reverse-P really helps to get up to the next higher weight.

You did all three of those lifts in one day? Your cns must be crushed. From what I read, it's better to ease on the fats and go full carb, on lifting days and consume more fats and ease on the carbs on rest days. Protein on both days. But that does sound like a super beast workout day.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

That would be me. I used to do that a couple of years ago, actually. I'm at about 300lbs right now. I should be back to 400lbs in a few months...hopefully.

I wouldn't do the bench after having done some deadlifts. Too much stress on the joints. Deadlifts and squats, on the other hand. That's something. You don't run a marathon the next day, that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 28 of 51

Jump to: