Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
That's a massive bench, man. 400lbs!!!

Holy Jezus, who did what? Shocked

I had a super-beast workout this morning; vegis and salmon fried in butter...then banged out some reverse pyramid action w/ dead-lifts, squats and bench...follow up with some bloody steak cooked in butter. Reverse-P really helps to get up to the next higher weight.

...uhh but nothing like 400lb for me. :/

You did all three of those lifts in one day? Your cns must be crushed. From what I read, it's better to ease on the fats and go full carb, on lifting days and consume more fats and ease on the carbs on rest days. Protein on both days. But that does sound like a super beast workout day.

Monday!

Lost a bucket of fat over the last two months, officially started StrongLifts 5x5 program today to muscle-up (last week was warm-up and I screwed up and didn't do the suggested order):

Workout Day A: squats 5x5, bench 5x5, barbell rows 5x5
Workout Day B: squats 5x5, overhead 5x5, deadlift 1x5

Rules: workout three times per week alternating between workout A on one day and B on the next day. Focus on a few basic full body movements and level-up each session. If you stall-out you keep on that weight each session until you can do a 5x5 with good form. Then level-up.

But the problem: the smallest weight increase I can add at my gym is 5kg (11lb). That seems like a pretty big leap every workout, probably going to stall out a lot trying to get to the next level. Oh well.

Anyhow my observation on this program so far: deadlifting heavy stuff is freakin� work.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
That's a massive bench, man. 400lbs!!!

Holy Jezus, who did what? Shocked

I had a super-beast workout this morning; vegis and salmon fried in butter...then banged out some reverse pyramid action w/ dead-lifts, squats and bench...follow up with some bloody steak cooked in butter. Reverse-P really helps to get up to the next higher weight.

...uhh but nothing like 400lb for me. :/

You did all three of those lifts in one day? Your cns must be crushed. From what I read, it's better to ease on the fats and go full carb, on lifting days and consume more fats and ease on the carbs on rest days. Protein on both days. But that does sound like a super beast workout day.

Monday!

Lost a bucket of fat, officially started StrongLifts 5x5 program today to muscle-up (last week was warm-up and I screwed up and didn't do the suggested order):

Workout Day A: squats 5x5, bench 5x5, barbell rows 5x5
Workout Day B: squats 5x5, overhead 5x5, deadlift 1x5

Rules: workout three times per week alternating between workout A on one day and B on the next day. Focus on a few basic full body movements and level-up each session. If you stall-out you keep on that weight each session until you can do a 5x5 with good form. Then level-up.

But the problem: the smallest weight increase I can add at my gym is 5kg (11lb). That seems like a pretty big leap every workout, probably going to stall out a lot trying to get to the next level. Oh well.

Anyhow my observation on this program so far: deadlifting heavy stuff is freakin� work.

If you really want to succeed on a program like Stronglifts, you will need to invest in a set of micro plates, .25 kg/.5 kg/1 kg plates. Going up will be easy at first, but only on the squats and deadlifts should you be increasing by 10 lbs per session. Longer stalls usually lead to quitting on the program. If you don't want to make that investment, I'd recommend you to start with 3x5 like in Starting Strength, because it will take longer to plateau and it will be easier to break the plateau.

And which barbell row will you be doing? Pendlay row or bent over row? My form started deteriorating at higher weights during rows when I was on the program so I substituted barbell rows with other back workouts like Kroc rows or weighted inverted rows, with chins every workout.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
If you really want to succeed on a program like Stronglifts, you will need to invest in a set of micro plates, .25 kg/.5 kg/1 kg plates. Going up will be easy at first, but only on the squats and deadlifts should you be increasing by 10 lbs per session. Longer stalls usually lead to quitting on the program. If you don't want to make that investment, I'd recommend you to start with 3x5 like in Starting Strength, because it will take longer to plateau and it will be easier to break the plateau.

And which barbell row will you be doing? Pendlay row or bent over row? My form started deteriorating at higher weights during rows when I was on the program so I substituted barbell rows with other back workouts like Kroc rows or weighted inverted rows, with chins every workout.

Good idea, I can buy a few micro plates and keep them in my locker. Actually I'm going to first suggest the gym invest in a few and if they won't I'll get my own. Can't imagine adding 11lb to the bench each time, that ain't gonna happen.

The program suggests (I believe) Pendlay, in that weight touches the floor each time. It's my sloppiest form of the five, not used to the movement yet. If it keeps sucking, especially when adding weight may need to substitude else something there.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you guys ever take progress pics? Fook, they have a way of splashing reality in your face.

You may think the scale shows your progress. Or that you look better in the mirror. But if you actually look at pics side by side... the gains come in millimetres. lol

And yes, I just did a 6 month batch.. and am feeling slightly sad about them. lol
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

Good idea, I can buy a few micro plates and keep them in my locker. Actually I'm going to first suggest the gym invest in a few and if they won't I'll get my own. Can't imagine adding 11lb to the bench each time, that ain't gonna happen.

The program suggests (I believe) Pendlay, in that weight touches the floor each time. It's my sloppiest form of the five, not used to the movement yet. If it keeps sucking, especially when adding weight may need to substitude else something there.

I went to a hardware store, cut some chain and made my own micro set of 2x1.25lbs. I'm thinking of getting some pink streamers to hang off of them, just to mix up a bit.

I also do pendlay rows, and yeah, I found them awkward at first. I'm still not up to 2 45lb plates gyet, but the gym I'm at now has bumper plates and I've found they have helped a lot.

Last edited by silkhighway on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
So, you guys ever take progress pics?

Yeah, but they ain't gonna make it on the internet. Very Happy

Body fat % decrease was "wow" in the pics, and actually muscles look way bigger too (just cause the fat isn't there obscuring them). But true muscle gain is going to be long...hard...work. Sad

Giving myself the remaining 10 months of the year to bang away at StrongLifts. But dammit I do expect to see something in the December photo!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Deadlifts and squats, on the other hand. That's something. You don't run a marathon the next day, that's for sure.

Mad

-----

Still wondering what others think about a 4x10 routine, as compared to others. Even a link to a website comparing them would be helpful.

Quote:
So, you guys ever take progress pics?

Nope.

But returns to the gym tend to go the same. I very quickly (like within a month) gain back a good percentage of muscle appearance-wise and then plateau out after gaining the rest slowly over the next two months. That tends to kill my motivation. Rolling Eyes
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get 1kg plates for an Olympic barbell in KR?

I sent my representative in to argue w the gym about getting some smaller weights. These 20-something personal trainers know nothing and after what seemed like 20min of conversation in Korean his brilliant idea was "just lift more times at lower weight, what's the problem?". Also suggested I sign up to use him as trainer so I can learn to "do it right". LOL, jezus no thanks.

Then we tried female gym employee as they can be more reasonable individuals. She said "KR hasn't invented the 1kg plate yet", but if we can find it she will order it. Only took 10min of conversation. Thank you reasonable gym lady!

But now where to get it??
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot. Ya know, I remember reading on here about a district in Seoul... maybe near Dongdaemun, that sold exercise equipment - can't remember exactly where though.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told Dongdaemun History and Culture Park Station had a sports mall, or more exactly, an area of a ton of sports stores all lined up. Went there, found the place, went into like 20 stores, and not one had them. Then I was told on Waygook.org where to find them, and there they were. One store had them, but they were pricey and the owner went on frequent "business trips," i.e. put up a sign saying he'll be back at a certain time but be gone for the rest of the day or even the rest of the week.

Directions, props to Seoulian:

Get off at Sports Complex Station, line 2. Walk out of exit 7 towards the Olympic stadium. Then head right wrapping around the stadium. Should see an underground area for parking. You'll see the Sports Mall banner, and there will be stores huddled on the right once you walk about a few min inside. It was the first store to the right. Checked all the other stores and they said they didn't carry Olympic plates, oddly only the Olympic bars.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trainer is right, you could just add more reps if you can't find smaller weights.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang - you mean down towards COEX, right?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah, next to Samseong Station.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah, next to Samseong Station.

Thanks for the detailed directions, I'll check it out.

Tried Amazon, but they won't ship here.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
The trainer is right, you could just add more reps if you can't find smaller weights.

Well yeah but I'm doing the StrongLifts program; after being able to do a 5x5 bench at a certain weight, I could keep doing more reps endlessly, but eventually I'm going to have to jump up 11lb, which is pretty big jump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 29 of 51

Jump to: