Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jyang486

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's rep scales that people follow. If you can do about two or three extra reps per set, that would be the equivalent of upping the weight by a couple kilos. So it you can do 5 sets 7 or 8 reps per set, then you should be confident enough to add an extra 5 lbs. 10 lbs would be like 5 sets 10 reps per set.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 11lbs is a huge jump. 5lbs isn't too bad, but it would be very hard to sustain 11lb increases on the smaller lifts like overheads and barbell rows even if you are doing extra reps.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
highstreet wrote:
The trainer is right, you could just add more reps if you can't find smaller weights.

Well yeah but I'm doing the StrongLifts program; after being able to do a 5x5 bench at a certain weight, I could keep doing more reps endlessly, but eventually I'm going to have to jump up 11lb, which is pretty big jump.

On the bench? It's all in your head. It's not a big jump unless you're into power lifting. Remember, you're doing repetitions, not single lifts at your max. If you work out regularly and can do 10 reps of a certain weight, you can probably do 7-8 with an extra ten pounds.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
highstreet wrote:
The trainer is right, you could just add more reps if you can't find smaller weights.

Well yeah but I'm doing the StrongLifts program; after being able to do a 5x5 bench at a certain weight, I could keep doing more reps endlessly, but eventually I'm going to have to jump up 11lb, which is pretty big jump.

On the bench? It's all in your head. It's not a big jump unless you're into power lifting. Remember, you're doing repetitions, not single lifts at your max. If you work out regularly and can do 10 reps of a certain weight, you can probably do 7-8 with an extra ten pounds.

Well it's not just the bench. I find doing 11 lb increases on the overhead press damn near impossible once I hit my plateaus. That's why I had a friend ship me a pair of 2.5 lb plates, among other things. Don't mind giving mine away before I leave.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out a new gym today - Body Star (Hansung University Stn. Line 4)

VERY cool. Dumbbells went up to 150lbs. Had tons of weights around - so much so, it was almost cramped in places.

340k for 5 months
450k for 8 months
590k for 1 yr

I think I'm going to join up - really inspired. They had pretty much all the things I'm looking for

-Tbar row
-Heavier dumbbells
-Hammer strength
-Wide positioned cables
-Hack squat
-Calf machine
-Lots of dedicated lifters

And cheaper than where i'm at.

FYI - 10k drop in.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I miss the heavy dumbbells at my old gym.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Checked out a new gym today - Body Star (Hansung University Stn. Line 4)

VERY cool. Dumbbells went up to 150lbs. Had tons of weights around - so much so, it was almost cramped in places.

340k for 5 months
450k for 8 months
590k for 1 yr

I think I'm going to join up - really inspired. They had pretty much all the things I'm looking for

-Tbar row
-Heavier dumbbells
-Hammer strength
-Wide positioned cables
-Hack squat
-Calf machine
-Lots of dedicated lifters

And cheaper than where i'm at.

FYI - 10k drop in.

Dang, that does sound really nice. If only I didn't move to Ansan. Checked out some gyms here, 5k drop ins but no squat racks, just a Smith machine. In gonna look around some more here.
HapKi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Smith machines, was wondering how much you guys thought a Smith machine bar weighs? I've checked a bit on-line and people mention anywhere from 10-40 lbs.
Of course, what really matters is, with the pulleys, what it actually feels like to lift it (ie- the force to lift it). I'm quessing roughly 10 lbs., but would like others' opinions.
And please save the comments about how it's the worst death trap on Earth and how many different ways I'll paralyze myself.
Thanks.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd put it at 10lbs. But remember, there are no "pulleys". Smith machines follow a track... and depending on friction/lube, the resistance can vary.

So lube up for less resistance!
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar on an Smith machine most certainly weighs closer to 40lbs than 10lbs. An ez curl bar weighs at least 15lbs.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, man. I've seen Olympic bars that weigh only 20-25lbs - there's one at my current gym.

As well, I've worked on Smith machines that are sooooo smooootthhhh, you could slide them with two fingers.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Not necessarily, man. I've seen Olympic bars that weigh only 20-25lbs - there's one at my current gym.

As well, I've worked on Smith machines that are sooooo smooootthhhh, you could slide them with two fingers.

Yeah, but that's two of your fingers. Wink
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Capt. Something like maybe 10 lbs. To lift the Smith machine bar required barely more effort than lifting your arms, and that was when I was just starting. I don't think the weight should even count when you record how much you lifted. Oddly found it much harder to squat a lot of weight using the Smith machine than a free weight barbell.

Found a decent gym in Ansan called Ace Fitness Club. Had a power rack, and dumbbells up to 45 kg, which is all I need. 100k a month with clothes, towels, and a pair of shoes (I asked for slippers, they gave me a pair of shoes which was awesome) if you forget. 10k drop in rate. Only downside is when the power rack is in use, like it was today by a man who did endless sets of deadlifts using just the bar. Not endless reps, endless sets. And seemed very protective of the bar. Every time he caught me looking his way when he was taking a break, he'd get up and do another set. Guy spent like 30 minutes. Other than that, it had everything I needed. Power rack for squats, overhead press, lots of Olympic bars to do deadlifts or barbell rows, lots of benches for chest press, machines for leg presses, calf raises, and multilevel machines for rowing, face pulls, and triceps pull downs. A lot of those things I took For granted until I went to three different places before this in Ansan. I'm going to be using this gym for the duration of my stay.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't even consider the bar. It's weight has no affect on my workout as long as I continue going to the same gym.
GF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how I should divide up my exercises during my two weekly excursions to the gym. My main exercises are:

Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Seated Row
Chin ups
Rollouts

Currently I do

Day 1 - Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press
Day 2 - Deadlift, Seated Row, Chin ups, Rollouts

I divided them up this way so that day 1 would be pushing exercises, and day two, pulling exercises. The ab rollouts were a toss up, so I put them on day 2, which seemed easier overall. But I have no idea if this is an intelligent way to go about programming. Any advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 30 of 51

Jump to: