Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth quitting hagwon 12 days early to work public schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Worth quitting hagwon 12 days early to work public schools? Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I work at a hagwon, and our contract ends on August 27th. We really want to work for public schools next year. However, the start date for all public school jobs is usually on August 16th - eleven days before our contract expires. The way I see it, we have three options:

A.) Talk to our boss to see if we can leave two weeks early and negotiate our severance pay, airfare, letter of release, etc, hoping that he doesn't pull a fast one last minute.

B.) Invest our energy trying to get September and/or October gigs through EPIK, which might be difficult as a couple.

C.) Give up on the idea of getting a public school job altogether, and just hunt for the best job that's available after we finish our contract (which might mean teaching in another country).

Of course, if we cut our contracts early, even more questions come into play:
1st, would our year-minus-two-weeks count as a year of experience, or does one year have to be 365 days for public schools?
2nd, if we got a letter of release, what other documents (if any) would we need to transfer to a public school job?
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth quitting hagwon 12 days early to work public schoo Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
My girlfriend and I work at a hagwon, and our contract ends on August 27th. We really want to work for public schools next year. However, the start date for all public school jobs is usually on August 16th - eleven days before our contract expires. The way I see it, we have three options:

A.) Talk to our boss to see if we can leave two weeks early and negotiate our severance pay, airfare, letter of release, etc, hoping that he doesn't pull a fast one last minute.

B.) Invest our energy trying to get September and/or October gigs through EPIK, which might be difficult as a couple.

C.) Give up on the idea of getting a public school job altogether, and just hunt for the best job that's available after we finish our contract (which might mean teaching in another country).

Of course, if we cut our contracts early, even more questions come into play:
1st, would our year-minus-two-weeks count as a year of experience, or does one year have to be 365 days for public schools?
2nd, if we got a letter of release, what other documents (if any) would we need to transfer to a public school job?

I think your boss would enjoy you leaving a bit early so he doesn't have to pay some of those benefits. And he won't have to do the usual 11 month firing routine.

Seriously, though, if it was just you, I'd do it. If you're on good terms with your boss, could work out.

But since it's you and your girlfriend, EPIK only puts married couples together. You could end up being quite far apart from each other.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth losing $6000 between the two of you to gain a PS job?
(2 severance allowances and 2 air tickets)

It would, in my opinion, NOT be worth kissing $6000 away for a job that may disappear in a year or two and has no long term viability.

C, B, and A as a very last minute desperate move.

Threequalseven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
It would, in my opinion, NOT be worth kissing $6000 away for a job that may disappear in a year or two and has no long term viability.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I think it's just hard for us to hear all these public schoolers tell us how they've had two months of vacation now and hear all their stories of visiting their families, vacationing in Thailand, and so forth.

But just as people work for their retirement, I've thought all along that I'm working for that last month's payment here. I think our director sent the last couple home with $900 for airfare, on top of severance, last month's paycheck, and housing desposit... So it would end up being closer to $10,000 for us!

I guess attitude is everything. Perhaps this situation is good for us. This way, we'd be more inclined to explore other options like teaching in Japan, Hong Kong, etc, instead of feeling locked into Korea because there's nothing better out there.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS jobs do come up at other times, because some people quit. I knew a guy that quit 6 weeks in, and returned to his hogwon. So, it's not always great, and there are jobs coming up at odd times - but those jobs probably will come up on short notice.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe see about signing an extension with a pre-dated LOR to end before the March term starts. Then you could try for unis as well.
Times30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have connections to people within EPIK you inevitable someone who knows an administrator there who might be able to hook you up for a later position. People drop out or have last minute cancellations. Apply and let them know the situation that you are an ideal candidate for stand by positions.

If you can, absolutely beg your friends if they know some of the admins of EPIK. Usually the admins try to get all chummy with new recruits so you never know. Maybe one of them can call in a favor.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a later position at a public school, do realize that you will not get a LOR if you want to transfer to a different school next March, or even a few years later. I have several friends who started slightly later than March 1, and because of this, they were not able to get uni and international-school jobs this year.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys missing that he's trying to get his girlfriend moved into EPIK as well? Your suggestions that there are sometimes positions that open up after the hiring season might be fine for one position...but two? Near each other? That's part of his concern, too.

As for the lost 6 mil won lost, they wouldn't be flying home, so (well, not sure abot the terms of their particular contract) they wouldn't be getting that money anyway.

So, yeah, lose 4 mil, but if your contract cycle is perpetually out of sync with the contract cycle you want to get into, then may have to bite the bullet.
littletelly94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Maybe see about signing an extension with a pre-dated LOR to end before the March term starts. Then you could try for unis as well.

I was going to suggest simply extending until March as well. Maybe negotiate an extension until the Feb to give yourselves time to make a trip home?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I think it's just hard for us to hear all these public schoolers tell us how they've had two months of vacation now and hear all their stories of visiting their families, vacationing in Thailand, and so forth.

But just as people work for their retirement, I've thought all along that I'm working for that last month's payment here. I think our director sent the last couple home with $900 for airfare, on top of severance, last month's paycheck, and housing desposit... So it would end up being closer to $10,000 for us!

I guess attitude is everything. Perhaps this situation is good for us. This way, we'd be more inclined to explore other options like teaching in Japan, Hong Kong, etc, instead of feeling locked into Korea because there's nothing better out there.

Offically most public schools have closer to a month of vacation a year. If you go through a province specific recruiter, you can probably get a late start anyways. Even EPIK might put you on a late start list. You'd just have to get a D10 visa. I think you can go home while on that visa. (But ask Ttompatz about that one.) I mean there could be an October start date for some places. Don't kiss 6 K away if you don't have to.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
If you get a later position at a public school, do realize that you will not get a LOR if you want to transfer to a different school next March, or even a few years later. I have several friends who started slightly later than March 1, and because of this, they were not able to get uni and international-school jobs this year.

That's what a D10 is for.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

That's what a D10 is for.

They weren't able to get them. Immi has reverted to previous policy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: