Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer to do a 4-5 day split. But your routine is fine. Hypothetically speaking, you could do all your excercises one day a week and get results.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I go to the gym 3 times a week on average because I'm lifting heavy to bulk up and so I need a lot of resting time (I'm not as young as I used to be). I also do pushups twice a day at home (I can do sets of 50-60, so I'm starting to try different types of pushups). For cardio, I go snowboarding regularly, but now that the weather is warming up I'll be doing a lot of hiking on weekends. I like going off the trails, 6-7 hours at a time. When I'm done, I'm covered in sweat and dirt.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I weighed myself recently and I've only gained 5lbs in the last two months, but I don't think I look any different. I'm still somewhat slim, maybe slightly more stronger looking than before.

Except for one thing, my arms are bigger. They're not huge or anything, but they are much more developed than they were a few months ago and I know it's not my imagination now. Considering I haven't done a single isolated bicep or tricep exercise since moving to the compound routine, it blows my mind a bit to flex them, especially my right arm which is more developed than my left.

As for numbers, I've pretty well stalled on my squat number but I'm doing ok now than I reset about 25 lbs and started going up slowly doing 5x5 sets instead of 3x5. I've gone up a little bit on bench/overhead/row (still doing 3x5), but I expect to stall on bench within the next lift or two. My deadlift on the other hand, has steadily increased. Add in that I have bumper plates to work with now it's an awesome confidence booster to see all those plates on the bar. The only other change to my routine is that I do a couple sets of pull-ups to failure after my Day A workout if I have energy left, and I do hanging knee raises or incline sit-ups on my Day B workout (to failure).

I haven't really been doing any cardio lately or yoga. I'm very busy these days and I've been fortunate to get to the gym 3 times a week, but that's been as best as I've been able to do.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, my official favourite lifts are the deadlift and overhead press. There's just something really awesome about lifting heavy weight up off the floor or over your head.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silk- great to hear of that progress - especially in the arms! I've always had trouble showing results there from compounds, so that makes me even more impressed.

12ax7 - Anything special you're doing to bulk? Any big changes to your diet?

-------------

I'm thinking of changing my current split. With a monday-fri schedule, I was thinking

1-pull
2-push
3-legs
4-pull
5-push

Maybe that, plus the new gym, will give my body a shock.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really special. Mainly drinking protein shakes, staying away from fatty food as much as I can. Workouts have been basic lifts (bench, squats, deadlifts, etc) and I've been adding more exercises as I progress.

I was able to gain 5.5kg in two months that way.

I haven't been feeling good for a week, so I've been taking it easy. I had to cut down on the amount of food I was eating because of it. Wouldn't want to gain fat instead of muscle.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Silk- great to hear of that progress - especially in the arms! I've always had trouble showing results there from compounds, so that makes me even more impressed.

You're a much bigger guy than me, so I don't want to overstate it. The fact that my arms are more developed than before is more of a reflection of how flabby and weak my arms were 6 months ago. Nobody's going to pass me on the street and go "woaah, look at the pipes on you, Bro!" haha.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Personally I prefer to do a 4-5 day split. But your routine is fine. Hypothetically speaking, you could do all your excercises one day a week and get results.

OK, good. I don't think I could handle doing all that in one session. I almost feel like squats should get their own day, but I don't have the time.

Captain Corea wrote:

1-pull
2-push

Ah, so pull/push is a valid way to divide one's routine? I thought I had just made it up.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
highstreet wrote:

OK, good. I don't think I could handle doing all that in one session. I almost feel like squats should get their own day, but I don't have the time.

FWIW as a novice, I start every single weight work-out by warming-up and then doing squats. Your legs are your largest and strongest muscle group in your body and your back is second. It would be very hard for a novice to oversquat as long as they're getting rest days in between and are eating properly.

Quote:
Captain Corea wrote:

1-pull
2-push

Ah, so pull/push is a valid way to divide one's routine? I thought I had just made it up.

Sure, it's actually quite common. Personally, I think people, especially beginners, niggle too much about how they divide their routine. I say do what's comfortable and what works for your schedule. Keep it SIMPLE!
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
highstreet wrote:
The trainer is right, you could just add more reps if you can't find smaller weights.

Well yeah but I'm doing the StrongLifts program; after being able to do a 5x5 bench at a certain weight, I could keep doing more reps endlessly, but eventually I'm going to have to jump up 11lb, which is pretty big jump.

On the bench? It's all in your head. It's not a big jump unless you're into power lifting. Remember, you're doing repetitions, not single lifts at your max. If you work out regularly and can do 10 reps of a certain weight, you can probably do 7-8 with an extra ten pounds.

Well it's not just the bench. I find doing 11 lb increases on the overhead press damn near impossible once I hit my plateaus.

Yep, I just did day five of StrongLifts. I've leveled up +11lbs on squats every day. But today was officially hard. Wednesday is going to be brutal. Overhead press and rows are going to stall sooner or later too (sooner with these weight increases).

Need to visit the shop that was mentioned earlier and look for micros!
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
BTW, my official favourite lifts are the deadlift and overhead press. There's just something really awesome about lifting heavy weight up off the floor or over your head.

Agreed. But, I'm about the only guy at my gym doing that "lifting heavy weights" thang. Wink

I gotta say something. Koreans are cool dudes, but man, these guys are doing some funky things in the free weights section. Like what the hell? I thought drugs were a no no here? It truly is a freak show, sorry to say.

This morning everyone was bouncing around doing these weird dancing step-up-on-a-block moves. A couple of totally weak guys were trying to curl tiny dumbbells, and bending over backwards with wack-form just to do a couple reps. I thought their arms were going to snap and blood was gonna spurt everywhere. There was one guy inside the rack doing these weird knee to your opposite elbo jumps. Why stand inside the rack for that? There's only a couple serious guys; they do have muscle, but I never see them squat/bench more than like 50kg.

And these people in the AM are the serious ones! Went to the gym in the PM once, total WTF. Shocked
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, every gym is guaranteed o have a weirdo or two. The new 'hard core' gym I just joined - the other day I saw a guy doing dumbbell curls... all SWING. I thought, ok, maybe just for the exercise/set. Nope. EVERY exercise this guy did was all about the swing... it was very intentional. Almost looked graceful at a point. lol
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I do the pull/push thing, too. It's the best way to give your hands and joints the time to recuperate.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's the possibility of training certain body parts twice a week. My new gym is further from my place, so if I'm going to travel that far, I kind of want to get more "bang" out of each session.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw IFBB Pro, Won Jung Sup in the gym today. Massive guy. Really inspirational to have these guys in the gym though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 31 of 51

Jump to: