Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koreans Out Of Their Usual Element Ignoring You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Perhaps we're reading a different OP, man.

metalhead wrote:
I'm curious why some Koreans that you know, that you see on a daily basis, be it in the classroom, the 'bakery', the store -whatevs - totally ignore you when they see you passing by them on the street. Then, for example, the next day, treat you as usual (like, saying hello to you) when they see you back in their little shop.

Is it a culture thing? I swear I've made full-blown eye contact with them and they just look away (cue for someone to mention that I *obviously* was not wearing a suit and tie, how droll).

Is it a Confucius thing? The Taiwanese and Chinese don't do it, just wondering why a lot of (see, added the quantifier so no one gets angry) Koreans do.

I see this, and it doesn't say anything about racial segregation. It asks about "people not saying HI out of the usual element" - something I've seen both here and in Canada.

I think this can be observed, or not observed, by people of any ethnicity.

Or are you saying "only ____" ethnicity has this happen to them here?

---

Your issue about segregation in hogwons is a tad different. I think what bothers you is SR apparently not "admitting" that it occurs. For you, that places the blame on the teacher - who usually didn't know what's going on. SR sees it as - maybe there are reasons for it that are not totally race related... and he's got a point - but it's a thin one.

Neither of you are WRONG... but you're just going around talking in circles without wanting to acknowledge each other's points.

OP stated "be it in the classroom" and then asks why they wouldn't say hi outside of that area. I was just stating in some cases it is racism here. Yeah, it happens in every country, I find it pretty rare in Korea honestly but it is not a suggestion that is without merit. I'm not even bashing Korea, just letting OP know maybe if it's his coworkers that is the situation.

My issue with SR is I brought up a particular hakwon, and he is arguing as if he knows more about the situation that I do. He doesn't even know what hakwon I am talking about, but he is still defending the owner. I find that a little irritating. The basis of most policies is the prevention of problems....

If our non-korean workers and Korean workers socialize we will have "problems".

Hey, maybe they will end up sneaking off to the bathroom stalls to give out fee english lessons, maybe that is why they have to have separate bathrooms right? What if they are loitering around the water fountain speaking that "native english" hmmmm maybe they should have separate water fountains too.

It's an assumption that when races mix problems occur, so races should not mix. Yes, that is racism.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not reading what he is writing.

I've worked in many companies here in Korea, and can tell you first hand - jealousy and perceived equality are BIG motivating factors.

I am NOT saying that's why "your" hogwon did what it did. I have no idea - I don't know the school. But I do know that if X Employee is perceived to be getting "more attention" from a teacher, then there are unforeseen problems in the team.

That is a very real motive. While it may not be the one in your case, it is real. No need to ignore it.

---------------

As well, the OP listed the classroom, as well as other locations. I did not get the sense from the oP that is was Hogwon specific. Seemed pretty general to me.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
No, you are not reading what he is writing.

I've worked in many companies here in Korea, and can tell you first hand - jealousy and perceived equality are BIG motivating factors.

I am NOT saying that's why "your" hogwon did what it did. I have no idea - I don't know the school. But I do know that if X Employee is perceived to be getting "more attention" from a teacher, then there are unforeseen problems in the team.

That is a very real motive. While it may not be the one in your case, it is real. No need to ignore it.

---------------

As well, the OP listed the classroom, as well as other locations. I did not get the sense from the oP that is was Hogwon specific. Seemed pretty general to me.

He was writing about "MY" hakwon. So yes, I was reading what he was writing. He knows nothing about this hakwon. In fact, he is pushing his racial stereotypes on the hakwon owner and myself. And now you are doing the same. I'm not ignoring the fact that that is a motive in other cases, I think you are confusing me with other posters. You and SR are kind of grouping any poster that claims there is racism in their workplace into the same stereotype of a whining korea hating foreigner. We aren't all like that, some of us just have to common sense to recgonize discrimination when it is painfully obvious.

Hakwons have classrooms, therefore my answer was relevant.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote.

If you could be so kind, please read it again - especially the bolded part.

Smile
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Smile

No, I understood. You were not talking about this particular hakwon but SR was.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Smile

No, I understood. You were not talking about this particular hakwon but SR was.

Ok, because you said that I am now doing the same. I kind of want to make clear that I'm not. I don't know your school, and won't presume to know why the manager did certain things.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My issue with SR is I brought up a particular hakwon, and he is arguing as if he knows more about the situation that I do. He doesn't even know what hakwon I am talking about, but he is still defending the owner. I find that a little irritating. The basis of most policies is the prevention of problems....

In your posts where you first brought this up, you did not clearly state it was "your" hagwon nor did you provide much in the way of specific information or a narrative of the incident. Instead, you put it in "general" terms- Saying things like "there are some hagwons that do this". You didn't make it clear if that was first or second-hand information.

If you had been more specific and illuminating, I would not be so quick to doubt your account.

For 8 pages we've been yammering about this and you haven't shared your personal story and the narrative details. Maybe you could share them now?
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:

In your posts where you first brought this up, you did not clearly state it was "your" hagwon nor did you provide much in the way of specific information or a narrative of the incident. Instead, you put it in "general" terms- Saying things like "there are some hagwons that do this". You didn't make it clear if that was first or second-hand information.

If you had been more specific and illuminating, I would not be so quick to doubt your account.

For 8 pages we've been yammering about this and you haven't shared your personal story and the narrative details. Maybe you could share them now?

What exactly did you think I was basing this on? A novel? Anyway the details are all on there. I think you put all the NET's here in the same basket. We aren't all crying wolf, sometimes we really do deal with discrimination. It's not on part with the stuff that happens in other countries, but it is there. Out of respect for the people that might be considering coming to teach in Korea I think it should be acknowledged.

And I have more respect for the guys at Korean Sentry than the spineless Hakwon owners that mask their racist policies with a bunch of drivel about "workplace politics".
metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nice. I received a threatening PM because I started this thread. I mean, I *obviously* hate Koreans for pointing out something that IS different in the West and feeling the need to comment on it because, quite frankly, it's utterly bizarre.

But of course, going by the intelligentsia on Dave's, I quite clearly did not realize that the exact same thing happens in Canada! w0w0w0w0w0w!

And apparently it may be because I smell bad. Well hey pal, us whiteys eat a lot of cheese, ex-squeeze me for the cabbage smell! Blacks and Indians smell different, too - oh wait, that's racist.

I guess I better go outside stinking again and 'looking for it', because obviously I pull these things out my bumsie.

On the plus side, I am nowhere near as pissed off as certain people in this thread, and I guess I could argue that instead of spending countless hours coming up with so called 'arguments' I am actually outside mingling with Koreans. Have a pleasant week, Steelrails. I hope that you find true love somewhere along the line, not an Internet cable line, just anything. I fell in love with a movie once, perhaps you could do the same with a can of beans or something; Christ man, anything in your case would be an improvement. Good luck, hombre!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I did not send any PM. I don't do that crap.

Quote:
Have a pleasant week, Steelrails. I hope that you find true love somewhere along the line, not an Internet cable line, just anything. I fell in love with a movie once, perhaps you could do the same with a can of beans or something; Christ man, anything in your case would be an improvement. Good luck, hombre!

Ahhh yes, the "You don't agree with me so you must be a loser with no social life" tactic. The sign of a mature mind at work.
augustine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you send him that PM steelerails?
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Ahhh yes, the "You don't agree with me so you must be a loser with no social life" tactic.

Um...no that would be based upon your twenty daily essay-lengthed cyber droppings about the correct spelling of "harbor" and why people in Korea who run red lights aren't really crap drivers since England has soccer hooligans.

Nothing to do with people disagreeing with your pointless blather, sunshine.

For what it's worth if you *did* send that PM you should sack up and apologize.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not sent any PM to that dude. Drop it.

Quote:
Um...no that would be based upon your twenty daily essay-lengthed cyber droppings about the correct spelling of "harbor" and why people in Korea who run red lights aren't really crap drivers since England has soccer hooligans.

1) It's not that many.

2) I don't go on about spelling or grammar.

3) I can write faster than you, so it doesn't take me nearly as long to churn those out as you think it does. Each of those "posts takes about 1-5 minutes.
joelove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine pages, not bad. We can make it 10 though. Bit disappointed in the content, had to skip a lot of rubbish, but number of pages is the important thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: