Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dennis Rodman cosies up to lil' Kim.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Dennis Rodman cosies up to lil' Kim. Reply with quote

No doubt the NK propoganda machine will get a lot of mileage out of this.

In the long run though, it'll be interesting to see how they cope with having a leader who consorts with black people and is into basketball.

Quote:
Rodman Meets With North Korean Leader, Courtside
February 28, 2013
Photographs of Dennis Rodman laughing while watching a basketball exhibition in Pyongyang, North Korea, with Kim Jong-un, the leader of one of the world�s most repressive countries, may be some of the strangest sights in the history of accidental American diplomacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/sports/basketball/dennis-rodman-meets-north-korean-leader.html?_r=0
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it'll be how their leader is schooling the world in the sport he created.
comm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Rodman cosies up to lil' Kim. Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
No doubt the NK propoganda machine will get a lot of mileage out of this.

In the long run though, it'll be interesting to see how they cope with having a leader who consorts with black people and is into basketball.

I think the net effect will be positive.
"This Black American isn't evil" is kind of a required message here.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, his dad loved basketball too, and had a signed micheal Jordan ball. Vice is making a documentary out of it, which should be pretty good.
IMF crisis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Kim told some of his aides that he needed to be put in contact with a "fuel rod man" and they thought he said "fool Rodman."
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an AP article with more details ... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/leaving-nkorea-rodman-calls-kims-112105875--spt.html
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i am wrong but it seems a little light in a dark and gloony land. A "character" like Rodman in N.K. unthinkable a few years ago. Maybe the door opened a crack.
Julius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Rodman cosies up to lil' Kim. Reply with quote

comm wrote:

Kim Jong Eun has at least some experience of the outside world, his warmth to Rodman is probably genuine.

But NK has existed on venomous anti-foreign xenephobia for so long that its hard to believe their propoganda machine will present this to their people as anything more than "foreign monkey comes to pay tribute to the supreme leader".

Most hapless visitors to the DPRK (including even Bill Clinton) appear quite unaware of the depth of racism and insecurity that causes North Koreans to try and poke fun at foreigners.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can find gold in a filthy place - I think U.S. "Intelligence" should mine Rodman's interactions with Kim for all its potential worth - rather than just categorically dismiss it as valueless ... http://abcnews.go.com/International/dennis-rodman-debriefed-us-meeting-kim-jong/story?id=18628726
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Rodman cosies up to lil' Kim. Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
comm wrote:

Kim Jong Eun has at least some experience of the outside world, his warmth to Rodman is probably genuine.

But NK has existed on venomous anti-foreign xenephobia for so long that its hard to believe their propoganda machine will present this to their people as anything more than "foreign monkey comes to pay tribute to the supreme leader".

Most hapless visitors to the DPRK (including even Bill Clinton) appear quite unaware of the depth of racism and insecurity that causes North Koreans to try and poke fun at foreigners.

Dude, from what I've heard about North Koreans who leave, it's not like that. I think you're playing up the "Koreans and black people" angle a bit much.

Most North Koreans, while getting a healthy dose of "The World Gonna Git Us" and general xenophobia, they also get a healthy dose of the "Global Struggle for the Revolution of the Proletariat" and "Exploitation of the Peaceful Peoples by the Capitalist Bourgeoisie and Neo-Imperialists", usually Africans, S. Americans, and Asians. Many tend to be a little shocked at the way 3D workers are treated in Korea.

One NK defector who grew up in a prison camp said that escaping from the prison camp and going into 'normal' N.Korean society was more of a culture shock than going from N.Korea to S.Korea and visiting America. He didn't really see much difference between the three compared to the prison camp. I think that that view gives proper perspective to those who rail about "how different we all are".

Of course, the defectors would probably be outliers because they would tend to harbor anti-government line views.

I'll say this, I bet they know way more about us and have a better clue, than we do about them.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dude, from what I've heard about North Koreans who leave, it's not like that. I think you're playing up the "Koreans and black people" angle a bit much.

Well, there was that propaganda broadside from the Norks back in 2006, when Hines Ward visited South Korea...

Quote:
Recently, in South Korea, a strange game pursuing the weakening of the fundamental character of our race and making society �multiethnic and multiracial� is unfolding.

Those responsible for this commotion are spreading confounding rumors like South Korea is a �multiracial area� mixed with the blood of Americans and several other races, how we must �overcome closed ethnic nationalism,� and we must embrace �the inclusiveness and openness of a multiethnic nation� like the United States.

The words themselves take a knife to the feeling of our people, but even more serious is that this anti-national theory of �multiethnic, multiracial society� has already gone beyond the stage of discussion. Already, they�ve decided that from 2009, content related to �multiracial, multiethnic culture� would be included in elementary, middle and high school textbooks that have until now stressed that Koreans are the �descendents of Dangun,� �of one blood line� and �one race,� and to change the terms �families of international marriage� and �families of foreign laborers� to �multicultural families.�

This is an outrage that makes it impossible to repress the rage of the people/race.

To start from the conclusion, the argument for �multiethnic, multiracial society� cried for by pro-American flunkeyists in South Korea is an unpardonable argument to obliterate the race by denying the homogeneity of the Korean race and to make an immigrant society out of South Korea, to make it a hodgepodge, to Americanize it.

I think that BZ Myers guy wrote a book about North Korean attitdes toward race, saying that what you see in that statement is pretty much the official view.

Plus, from what I've read about foreigners who defected to NK(like Jenkins and those other soldiers), some of them have gotten married up there, but not one has married a "pure blood" Korean. The closest I heard was some guy who married a woman who was half Korean and half African(not sure how her birth came about).

And there isn't neccessarily a contradiction between wanting to liberate the peoples of the world and wanting to keep the races separate. It was Woodrow Wilson, he of the 14 Points and League Of Nations, who segregated the US army and civil service.

That said, I'm sure KJU is happy to bask in whatever star-power he can, especially if it's an American celebrity. I doubt that the Nork propaganda around Rodman's visit will insult him racially, as Julius predicts. You'll notice that the anti-multiculturalism diatribe I posted doesn't contain any actual slurs against black people, it just implies that they shouldn't mix with Koreans.
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodman praised the Kims for being great leaders, but the US State Department doesn't agree:

Quote:
At Pyongyang's Sunan airport on his way to Beijing, Rodman said it was ''amazing'' that the North Koreans were ''so honest.'' He added that Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung, North Korea's founder, ''were great leaders.''

''He's proud, his country likes him - not like him, love him, love him,'' Rodman said of Kim Jong Un. ''Guess what, I love him. The guy's really awesome.''

Quote:
The State Department on Friday distanced itself from Rodman's visit and his praise for Kim, saying he doesn't represent the United States.

''The North Korean regime has a horrific human rights record, quite possibly the worst human rights situation in the world,'' spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters in Washington. He accused the regime of depriving their people of food, shelter, water and maintaining prison gulags.

Ventrell also took aim at Pyongyang for its grand treatment of the visiting basketball stars.

''Clearly you've got the regime spending money to wine and dine foreign visitors, when they should be feeding their own people,'' he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/leaving-nkorea-rodman-calls-kims-112105875--spt.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: