Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If War Breaks Out.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: If War Breaks Out. Reply with quote

What will you do?
FDNY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRINK
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I live on the southern coast, my plan has been to bike to the ferry terminal, catch a boat to Jeju, and fly to Japan from there. My plan B is to bribe a taxi driver to take me to the nearest international airport.

Considering that North Korea announced that they'll break the ceasefire agreement on March 11, my girlfriend and I have talked about making a get-ready pack just in case. Obviously, we know the odds are like 1 in 100 that anything will actually happen, but there's no harm in being prepared. Also, a call to your embassy couldn't hurt either. I'm sure the military will have a procedure for getting civilians out of harms way, in the event that the Reds unleash uncompromising havoc upon the South.
nora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
DRINK

Uh oh. I'm dry!

So... rob a liquor store, then drink. and probably masturbate.
zenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
Since I live on the southern coast, my plan has been to bike to the ferry terminal, catch a boat to Jeju, and fly to Japan from there. My plan B is to bribe a taxi driver to take me to the nearest international airport.

Considering that North Korea announced that they'll break the ceasefire agreement on March 11, my girlfriend and I have talked about making a get-ready pack just in case. Obviously, we know the odds are like 1 in 100 that anything will actually happen, but there's no harm in being prepared. Also, a call to your embassy couldn't hurt either. I'm sure the military will have a procedure for getting civilians out of harms way, in the event that the Reds unleash uncompromising havoc upon the South.

They've set a date of the 11th?

The north would be annihilated if they attacked...
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The south would retaliate in a measured response, not annihilate.

My brother-in-law is a high ranking officer on the DMZ. About a year ago he told our family that things would be unraveling this way (I posted it here), and that there will be another North attack similar to the Cheonan incident or the island shelling.

The south is 99% sure that some sort of asymmetrical attack is coming their way sometime after the UN resolution is read, and commanding officers have the advanced green light to retaliate with similar force.
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't go anywhere (except perhaps the bank, I don't want to be stuck with all that useless won)
Dodge7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:

Do you have a link that says they will strike on the 11th?
Honestly what good does N Korea do on this earth? Name one. All they do is cause trouble. If they strike I say nuke the whole country--every square mile of it.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably just playing a game of "chicken" right now (i.e. two cars racing toward each other to see who turns away first) but its a dangerous game. I advise closely following news reports (national and international), contacting your embassy if you haven't done so already, and making whatever practical plans you can to relocate to a relatively safe place should a (crazy) major war really break out this time.

I'll post any articles about the situation (as soon as I see them) on the Current Events thread ... http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=226576
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope nothing happens, I don't want the won to go to sh-t.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember how bad the won got in 2010 when a North Korean submarine sank a South Korean warship? That SUCKED! I lost over a thousand dollars because of that incident.
saram_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the big thing here is China is in on this latest signing off on sanctions on NK.

Does Kim Jong Eun want to commit suicide? I don't think so.
He has a nice little taste of the good life and sure why would he want to give that up? These sanctions won't impend much on his lifestyle too much you can bet.
It makes absolutely no sense for NK to do something that will force a strong counter attack from the South and it's many allies.
SK will not be left alone to defend its nation. There is no doubt about that.

Kim Jong Eun and his inner circle will only know too well that if they overstep the mark- their time will have run up.
They will make threats and push this as far as they can. It is a dangerous game but that's how they have to play it.

Talk of a full scale war etc is just out of the equation really.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple hours ago news outlets started reporting NK had voided the 1953 armistice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21709917

When the 2010 incident occurred, did many foreigners leave the country?

Also, can someone elaborate on the financial impact of the 2010 attack?

Would it be prudent to transfer funds elsewhere asap? I'm hoping this is just the usual posturing, but speculation has a lot of play in the financial world.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
When the 2010 incident occurred, did many foreigners leave the country?

One girl I know did. Her mother was afraid for her safety and begged her to come home. The girl didn't like being in Korea anyways, so with the free plane ticket (bought by her mother) returned to the U.S. Some foreigners I knew were freaked out and scared...but they didn't leave.

wanderkind wrote:
Also, can someone elaborate on the financial impact of the 2010 attack?

When I was just about to wire 10,000,000 won to the U.S., 1000 won was worth 90 cents. After the attack, 1,000 won was worth 79 cents. (>_<)
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverines, baby! Wolverines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rm0tMA0e5I
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: