Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Korean War?: Previews/Updates ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Another Korean War?: Previews/Updates ... Reply with quote

... by March 11 (maybe Obama should give a Kim a call and chat about basketball/Dennis Rodman)
http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-vows-cancel-korean-war-cease-fire-115128092.html

They spell out their historical rationale for keeping nukes here... http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-cold-war-history-us-justifies-nukes-091320463.html

More details about scrapping armistice ... http://news.yahoo.com/u-china-tentative-deal-u-n-north-korea-022644209.html

Not to cause unnecessary worry, but it could be that things have reached a critical juncture and really might come to a head this time (or the next time ... or the next time after that, etc., ad infinitum)

Last edited by Rteacher on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea says Korean War is back on ...
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-says-korean-war-back-132537343.html

South Korea says it'll strike back ... http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-says-strike-back-north-attacked-063253087.html

For what its worth, here's a Sikh perspective (informed by some Korean professor's somewhat dated analysis) on a Korean War 2 scenario: http://www.sikharchives.com/?p=6133[/url]
rollo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff thanks Rteacher.
i think Japans military build up and that theyare a de facto nuclear power is worrisome.
greene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lack of people talking about this much is scaring me. this time more than in the past. I'd love to be able to get out of Seoul on Monday

can someone say something to get me un-shook?
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: totally... Reply with quote

Quote:
the lack of people talking about this much is scaring me. this time more than in the past. I'd love to be able to get out of Seoul on Monday

can someone say something to get me un-shook?

I was totally thinking this exact same thing earlier in the afternoon when I was scanning the forum.

Everyone says "oh, that's just NK..."

Does this time around seem even a bit different?
greene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm teaching 'the giver' to some 6th graders

i was comparing 'the community' to north korea

i asked them what they thought of what was going on... what they thought about monday

none of them even knew about it, but were really surprised and asked me with deer-in-headlights eyes,"what is going to happen then?"

to which i was like... uh... time to play down the situation so they can sleep tonight. so i told them that north korea's elite had too much to lose to attack the south, and nothing to gain

*sigh* still doesn't make for easy sleeping
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: UN Reply with quote

in reference to the supposed 'new' sanctions clauses (quoted from news sources):

- Ban on exporting luxury goods to North Korea (intended to target goods used by North Korea's elite)
- Freeze on all North Korean money thought to be connected to missile programs
- Ban on financial support for anything related to missile programs
- Travel sanctions that would effectively force out all expats working for North Korean ventures
- All North Korean cargo must be inspected
- 3 arms dealers and 2 international organizations have been specifically targeted and sanctioned"

...the UN wasn't already doing this...?
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still heating up ... http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-says-exercise-preemptive-nuclear-attack-against-092109134.html

If I were still in South Korea I'd definitely keep tabs on this, stay connected to my embassy's email/text alerts, and try to have some emergency exit back-up plan if possible. Hopefully, they're just crying wolf again and the sky won't be falling anytime soon ...
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene wrote:

i asked them what they thought of what was going on... what they thought about monday

none of them even knew about it, but were really surprised and asked me with deer-in-headlights eyes,"what is going to happen then?"

to which i was like... uh... time to play down the situation so they can sleep tonight. so i told them that north korea's elite had too much to lose to attack the south, and nothing to gain

Your job is to teach them English and not international relations. Can't you sing Wheels on the Bus or something?
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was going to cover the same thing in my lesson with 6th grade but I chose to discuss the hidden problem of AIDS in Korea, and then finish off with a safe sex lesson.

Finally we did something a little more 'practical' - the children putting condoms on carrots (1 per table), carrots are expensive here! Embarassed
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome lesson plan Lucas!!! its about time the koreans learned about sex.

it really may be different this time. Threatening the U.S. is never a good idea.

The fact that a general not Kim is making threats is worrying, who is in charge in the North, Kim or the army??
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hmEUR-mSLEUHfAswkZ36agHTkKiw?docId=CNG.29350d12cef5ba479bd32457cce4d1a0.8a1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21709917

I waited til the BBC reported it as well, but North Korea has said it's scrapped the non-aggression pact. Kim Jong Un allegedly also made reference to the western coast islands that were in the mix last time around.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no more sending Rodman up there. He's obviously not the best diplomat. lol
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the current updates, what is a teacher to do in an emergency scenario? I understand lots of that could be highly circumstantial, but it's definitely worth considering, especially if low on funds.
greene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

Your job is to teach them English and not international relations. Can't you sing Wheels on the Bus or something?

the class's name is "exploring novels"

real world connections is a part of the class

those kids love the class. a couple even told me they look forward to coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: