Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Korean War?: Previews/Updates ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bad feeling about these ROK/US drills coming up actually.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read they started already and are going til the end of April?

From NK's perspective, this would seem to be a particularly stupid time to start shit.

I know of someone who was just hired to work out on Yeonpyeong and such islands...not envying them right now.
falco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've started the drills already but the Norks have announced the armistice agreement will be nullified starting Monday.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wager that NETs vacationing in the Philippines or teaching in Malaysia/Indonesia/visiting home in Chicago/S.A. have more to worry about 'imminent attack' than we do with the Norks lobbing a nuke at us and starting a full on war.

Then again, this may be the big one. I actually give it decent odds (10%)that the Norks may try some sort of sustained mini-conflict of about 2 weeks.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. says it's ready to defend ... http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-us-defend-against-nkorea-attack-193056200.html

More details on sanctions ... http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-hit-un-sanctions-test-221736178.html

NK's capability of hitting what/where?.. http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-cant-hit-america-south-korea-japan-091839397.html
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco wrote:
Yeah, they've started the drills already but the Norks have announced the armistice agreement will be nullified starting Monday.

I thought they already ripped it up

Quote:
North Korea "abrogates all agreements on non-aggression reached between the North and the South," the state-run Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement.

"It notifies the South side that it will immediately cut off the North-South hotline," said the statement, which was carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

The statement came just hours after the UN Security Council unanimously voted to impose tough sanctions against the rogue nation.

Perhaps they have more pages to rip on monday (?)
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK's history of bluster ... http://news.yahoo.com/fiery-seas-sacred-war-nkoreas-blustery-history-103719789.html

Some good analysis ... http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-threatens-nuke-d-c-why-especially-193626799.html
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrishnamurtidotorg wrote:
In light of the current updates, what is a teacher to do in an emergency scenario? I understand lots of that could be highly circumstantial, but it's definitely worth considering, especially if low on funds.

I don't want to get all real, as if this were a 6th grade reading class, but in the event of an actual war between the DPRK and ROK you will very likely die. The whole thing will be over quickly.

Science is like financial leverage. It's great when you've got it on an upswing but it can ruin everything suddenly.
greene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
In light of the current updates, what is a teacher to do in an emergency scenario? I understand lots of that could be highly circumstantial, but it's definitely worth considering, especially if low on funds.

I don't want to get all real, as if this were a 6th grade reading class, but in the event of an actual war between the DPRK and ROK you will very likely die. The whole thing will be over quickly.

Science is like financial leverage. It's great when you've got it on an upswing but it can ruin everything suddenly.

I hope you're living in Seoul among us, cause if not, youre being a jerk. I've not heard any reports claiming near certain death

also you're jealous of my fun class
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

I guess the overarching theme is that one ought to get deeper into meditation and transcend the internal struggle for constant self-preservation.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene wrote:
Titus wrote:

I hope you're living in Seoul among us, cause if not, youre being a jerk. I've not heard any reports claiming near certain death

also you're jealous of my fun class

Your 6th graders can handle it but not sensitive flower adults on a "current events" forum?

You've not heard reports?

DPRK can not possibly win a conventional war.
If there is a war, the DPRK started it.
If the DPRK starts a war they have no hope of winning it.
It's a suicide mission going in.

There won't be a war. If there is a war, you are all going to die.
greene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't live here? what's next? head over to the brain cancer forum and tell them they have 3 months left?
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene wrote:
So you don't live here? what next? head over to the brain cancer forum and tell them they have 3 months left?

I do not.

No, I won't. Calm yourself, there will not be a war.

If it was likely there would be a war, I assume you all would leave. So don't fuss. There will not be a war. The DPRK is not on a suicide mission. The increasing belligerence is actually a sign that it wants to survive, as it has learned that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You don't tell somebody you're going to sucker punch them.
Otus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to this, I keep thinking about a line in one of those old Clint Eatwood movies where the guy gets shot because he hesitates and makes a long speech, giving the other guy enough time to fire a hidden gun. He then comments ... "If you're going to shoot someone, shoot them; don't stand around talking about it ...'
ersatzredux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There won't be a war precisely because the heroic dear leader and his valiant troops will have, once again, frightened the capitalist jackals away with their iron resolution. Or at least that's how things will play in North Korea. Kind of like in Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, where the protagonist, being from the future and having foreknowledge of the exact date of a total solar eclipse in the past, uses it to his advantage:

Quote:
" I followed their eyes, as sure as guns, there was my eclipse beginning! The life went boiling through my veins; I was a new man! The rim of black spread slowly into the sun�s disk, my heart beat higher and higher, and still the assemblage and the priest stared into the sky, motionless. I knew that this gaze would be turned upon me, next. When it was, I was ready. I was in one of the most grand attitudes I ever struck, with my arm stretched up pointing to the sun. It was a noble effect. You could see the shudder sweep the mass like a wave. Two shouts rang out, one close upon the heels of the other:

�Apply the torch!�

�I forbid it!�

The one was from Merlin, the other from the king. Merlin started from his place�to apply the torch himself, I judged. I said:

�Stay where you are. If any man moves�even the king�before I give him leave, I will blast him with thunder, I will consume him with lightnings!�

The multitude sank meekly into their seats, and I was just expecting they would. Merlin hesitated a moment or two, and I was on pins and needles during that little while. Then he sat down, and I took a good breath; for I knew I was master of the situation now"

This is for domestic consumption, so that the new Kim can "make his bones" by saving the nation from annihilation right at the beginning.

Don't sweat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: