Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If War Breaks Out.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get some breakout cream and apply liberally
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armed conflicts are a lot easier to start than they are to stop. Quite often they take on a life of their own.

If a war breaks out they will be shooting guns. And those guns will be shooting bullets. I can guarantee that anyone in the area of that won't be counting won or crying about the exchange rate. If I was in the area, I would put as much distance as possible between me and the gunfire. I wouldn't expect the government to send out Superman to rescue me.
nuthatch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...

...it will be interesting to see how things are on Monday and afterward....
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
spilot101 wrote:
On a positive note, looks like there'll be less competition for us, "noobs" trying to make it to Korea in the next few months, which is just what I need!

That depends on how furiously SteelRails tries to convince everyone North Korea is not a threat.

WT, you don't even know what a battleship is and you're trying to lecture people about analyzing a military situation. Bring this back to the other thread where you can keep on sharing your woeful ignorance when it comes to military matters.

What would I do if war broke out? Do exactly what the authorities are telling the civilians to do and fully cooperate, certainly not starting some Grizzly Adams hike to Busan, looting, or disobeying orders just for the sake of it. Anything I can do to make the government's and the military's job easier, which likely means shutting up, standing in line, and doing as told. Which is what you should do in an emergency military situation.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

WT, you don't even know what a battleship is and you're trying to lecture people about analyzing a military situation. Bring this back to the other thread where you can keep on sharing your woeful ignorance when it comes to military matters.

Do you realize you're arguing with a loon whose modus operandi is to make outrageous claims, expose his idiocy, disappear for a year and then come back hoping everyone has forgotten?

If not, check out his posts on why he's even in Korea or how he rescued a guy by magically summoning other waygooks out of thin air. He's someone's sock account. And that someone isn't quite sane.
sublunari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geojedo.
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a few bottles of my favorite libations at Costco and download Dr. Strangelove.

While U.S. sources are publicly blowing off the threats, that you have a kid who has grownup in a bubble, probably never had no said to him in his entire life, and knows nothing of armed conflict and the death and destruction it can wreak except what he's seen in the movies with his finger on the trigger makes one think twice.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublunari wrote:
Geojedo.

Laughing If anybody's realising on this bloke's advice, they're desperate! He lives in Korea with his Korean wife and says he'll go with her by car to Goeje "when the bombs start falling."

Sunshine, when the bombs start falling it'll already be too late. In every way. Good luck sitting in your metal coffin stuck in traffic as millions of desperate Koreans will be on any available road or expressway. And you won't be moving.

I'm off to China soon - and if newbies had any sense, they'd be looking there at this very moment.
crescent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
While U.S. sources are publicly blowing off the threats, that you have a kid who has grownup in a bubble, probably never had no said to him in his entire life, and knows nothing of armed conflict and the death and destruction it can wreak except what he's seen in the movies with his finger on the trigger makes one think twice.

Why is everyone forgetting that the kid is just a figurehead?
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
Since I live on the southern coast, my plan has been to bike to the ferry terminal, catch a boat to Jeju, and fly to Japan from there. My plan B is to bribe a taxi driver to take me to the nearest international airport.

Considering that North Korea announced that they'll break the ceasefire agreement on March 11, my girlfriend and I have talked about making a get-ready pack just in case. Obviously, we know the odds are like 1 in 100 that anything will actually happen, but there's no harm in being prepared. Also, a call to your embassy couldn't hurt either. I'm sure the military will have a procedure for getting civilians out of harms way, in the event that the Reds unleash uncompromising havoc upon the South.

Do you have a link that says they will strike on the 11th?
Honestly what good does N Korea do on this earth? Name one. All they do is cause trouble. If they strike I say nuke the whole country--every square mile of it.

I never said they'd strike. I referenced a BBC article that said the North would end the armistice agreement on March 11th. The BBC did a few articles on it. Here's one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21681522
saram_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So NK has come out with another strong statement indicating an all out nuclear war today..
Seems like some kind of provocation is imminent but the SK forces and US military are well ready.

We ll see how things go in the next few days but all the pointers are that something may be about to happen.
Usually I am blas� about the whole thing but it is a bit more disconcerting this time. Tensions are reaching a kind of boiling point.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20130309002200315&domain=3&ctype=A&site=0100000000&mobile
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
atwood wrote:

And what is your proof for that? Are you forgetting how many leaders who might oppose or challenge him "disappeared"?

Even if he were a figurehead, that would make him a pawn of the military, not exactly a scenario that brings to mind "cooler heads will prevail."
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
crescent wrote:
atwood wrote:

And what is your proof for that? Are you forgetting how many leaders who might oppose or challenge him "disappeared"?

Even if he were a figurehead, that would make him a pawn of the military, not exactly a scenario that brings to mind "cooler heads will prevail."

Actually, in many authoritarian and ideologically driven regimes, the military can be more moderate than other factions. For example, the Wehrmacht in Nazi Germany.
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails makes a good point about the military often being the moderates. it was the younger Soviet middle level officers who pushed for the end of communist rule in the U.S.S.R.

Apparently it is Baby Kim's uncle who is the real power, and he is owned by China. He is not crazy nor stupid according to all accounts.

The North's military is also in sort of a bubble. there was a story told a few years ago about a Nork general telling a Western visitor that the N.K. army would have an easy time conquering the U.s. because all the American soldiers were fat and gay. Scary to think they are that out of touch.

yeah there is no where to run. The U.s. will get the Westerners out even if you have a maple leaf sewn on your clothes. Be calm follow instructions.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: