Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Korean War?: Previews/Updates ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

There won't be a war. If there is a war, you are all going to die.

That's a bit much. Plenty of these teachers live in Daegu and Busan and will survive. The Norks would shell Seoul and your 10th floor apahtuh would become a coffin. But otherwise . . .

The Norks don't have nukes. Not really.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEvnPQFCAAA10Wp.jpg:large
falco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
titus wrote: Calm yourself, there will not be a war

Must be amazing to be able to see into the future. Pray tell, how does one aquire such a skill? I sure as hell want to learn it.

Quote:
Titus wrote: You don't tell somebody you're going to sucker punch them.

On the other hand, just because someones cried wolf a hundred times before, does that mean when they threaten to kill you again this time, its meaningless? Maybe, just maybe, thats part of their strategy to lull you into a false sense of security and this time they do really intend to carry it out.

Quote:
Titus wrote:....in the event of an actual war between the DPRK and ROK you will very likely die. The whole thing will be over quickly.

I see, so as well as being a contributing poster to an English teacher's website, your a military strategist who also possesses powers of foretelling the future.......I'm impressed.

Quote:
ersatzredux wrote: Don't sweat it.

Seems to me theres a an awful lot of assumptions and wishful thinking going on here. Too much for my liking anyway - lol.

Last edited by falco on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Colbert notes that we are also in a "Dreams Race" with North Korea ... http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-colbert-propaganda-fever-dream-north-korea-140155155.html

Meanwhile, China pushes for a more "holistic" approach than just sanctions ... http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-rejects-u-n-sanctions-declares-pursuit-015810489.html
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

There won't be a war. If there is a war, you are all going to die.

That's a bit much. Plenty of these teachers live in Daegu and Busan and will survive. The Norks would shell Seoul and your 10th floor apahtuh would become a coffin. But otherwise . . .

The Norks don't have nukes. Not really.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEvnPQFCAAA10Wp.jpg:large

A good friend and associate here told me that he was under the impression North Korea had no facility to produce such weapons, but Iran does and is the source of them. Of course who is to know, for certain, if such allegations are correct?

On an entirely unrelated note has anybody been able to book a flight on Jeju Air's website? I'm wanting to go to Hong Kong tomorrow. It, as usual, requires me to use Explorer and install all of the ActiveX stuff but I don't seem to be making much progress.

EDIT: No worries, I booked it on the phone.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Second Korean War has already been fought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_DMZ_Conflict_(1966%E2%80%931969)
sirius black

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no war. At least not intentionally. Anything can happen of course but North Korea will no side in this will arbitrarily start a war.
North Korea will not. They know its unwinnable. They know they can not without the backing of China and that will never happen.
The last thing China wants now is a war on its backdoor. China is in money mode and its bad for business. Furthermore a war brings the American military on their border and they want to avoid that at all costs.
S. Korea will not invade. No reason to. Plus they wouldn't without America's okay which will never happen.
N. Korea is saber rattling possibly for two reasons. First, is perhaps its new leader wants to get a reputation internally. Second, NK often saber rattles so that it can get food, oil and other supplies surreptiously. They threaten and the back channels politically is that to make us stop you need to send us more things because we are starving.
NK knows that a) war is unwinnable and b) they won't exist as a nation in its present form if there is a war. The most you'll get is some squirmish as they have done before by shooting at an island or boat or whatever. Its unacceptable but they do things that they know will not get a full military response. They stay well short of that.

If NK got nukes for offensive purposes they would have uesd it long ago. In the modern era, countries have gotten nukes primarily as insurance that it will not be invaded. India and Pakistan are examples of this.
recessiontime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect a couple of shells around the 11th and thereafter but I doubt that will change China's mind about sanctions. It looks like Iran will become their main trading partner now?
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This finance article tries to connect North Korean nukes, sequestration, and Dennis Rodman into its investment strategy ... http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/03/09/why-dennis-rodmans-an-idiot-and-you-should-invest.aspx

(Like the classic Country Joe and the Fish song that considered the question "What are we fighting for?" - "there's money to be made by supplyin' the army with tools of trade!")
rollo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the U.s. is in Korea no war. All posturing and haggling. There possibly will be some sick bloody lethal action taken by the North.

There would only be a war if China and the north could win it without great cost and with the U.S. in the region that's not going to happen.

this is ugly geo-political manuvering. Someone the North or the Chinese want something. Sickening and dangerous.

You know it could be the South that pushs things over the cliff, the north commits a crazy and some general in the Rok , who is fed up with the status quo, launches an assault.
greene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I see, so as well as being a contributing poster to an English teacher's website, your a military strategist who also possesses Greene's powers of foretelling the future.......

I didn't make that first quote. it was him as well
falco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that man. My bad. I changed the post.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analysis of China's policy shift toward North Korea ... http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/10/us-korea-north-china-idUSBRE92901W20130310

NK now barks that South Korea's new Defense Minister will be their first target... http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-03-10/n-dot-korea-threatens-to-target-south-s-defense-minister-nominee
Deja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
As long as the U.s. is in Korea no war. All posturing and haggling. There possibly will be some sick bloody lethal action taken by the North.
There would only be a war if China and the north could win it without great cost and with the U.S. in the region that's not going to happen.

1. What constitutes a sick bloody lethal action to you?
2. What in the world can the "US in the region" do even remotely?Smile I believe there is only like 30.000 soldiers, no clue about equipment though. That's peanuts.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja wrote:
rollo wrote:

1. What constitutes a sick bloody lethal action to you?
2. What in the world can the "US in the region" do even remotely?Smile I believe there is only like 30.000 soldiers, no clue about equipment though. That's peanuts.

What you don't seem to get is that the USFK are expected to suffer casualties if North Korea attacks as it would give the US a reason to get involved on a large scale.

That's basically why there were many USFK members in the JSA (there are fewer now). They weren't there to prevent an invasion, they were there to die early in an attack so that the US would have a reason to respond swiftly.
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Deja
Oh something like shelling a village of poor fishermen with artillery, or decapitating a jogger in a park in Seoul something like that. Those are two of the murderous actions the North has taken in the past. There are of course others. Bombing an airliner, bombing a conference of South Korean officials.

Only 30,000 in Korea, but about 20,000 in Okinawa, but the big hammer is the aircraft carrier off korea and the other one in the Taiwan straits. of course the B-52's on Guam and diego Garcia would basically make the north rubble in a few hours. The f-111's in Afgnanistan also would play a part. Oh yeah I forgot about the U.S. planes and troops in Japan

So really nothing. Do you even know where korea is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: