Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If War Breaks Out.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:

This all sounds good in theory, but he's still in charge. Why think he can't disregard their advice if he so chooses?

But you also have no proof. If you look at the history nature of the north's antics while Jong Il was in power, things have not changed. The Supreme Leader has changed, but the core supporters have not. That's why I agree with the side that says he's being guided, not followed.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew nothing exciting would happen today. No bombs. N Korea is all talk.
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
atwood wrote:

This all sounds good in theory, but he's still in charge. Why think he can't disregard their advice if he so chooses?

But you also have no proof. If you look at the history nature of the north's antics while Jong Il was in power, things have not changed. The Supreme Leader has changed, but the core supporters have not. That's why I agree with the side that says he's being guided, not followed.

Of course I have no proof. But things have changed; their nuclear capabilities have improved. And so it gets easier and easier for the guy who can put his finger on the button to go off half-coked, no matter how much "guidance' he is receiving.
crescent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.
I believe the sources that say he does what the real 'power' people tell him to do until he's able to gather his own trusted circle.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
crescent wrote:
atwood wrote:

Of course I have no proof. But things have changed; their nuclear capabilities have improved. And so it gets easier and easier for the guy who can put his finger on the button to go off half-coked, no matter how much "guidance' he is receiving.

Well, if we're factoring in an addiction to coke, then that changes everything. Wink
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drugs (meth, opium, etc.) are actually really common in North Korea.

http://www.dailynk.com/korean/read.php?cataId=nk04500&num=88368

김정은 has been slimming down lately. Maybe he's doing coke or meth.
rollo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Lil" Kim spends a lot of time in Beijing. His Dad was trained for decades before taking power and Jong Il made his bones when he was young. The little fella has to prove that he has what it takes to run the outfit.

I believe his aunt and uncle are firmly in charge, for right now.
javis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Drugs (meth, opium, etc.) are actually really common in North Korea.

http://www.dailynk.com/korean/read.php?cataId=nk04500&num=88368

김정은 has been slimming down lately. Maybe he's doing coke or meth.

I dunno. That article is pretty over the top, and seems to rely pretty heavily on one unnamed source. I would take the details with a grain of salt. It's too similar to a typical propaganda piece about the foreign menace in South Korea. That said, it does agree with other reports about dissidents in Nothern Hamgyeong and Northern Pyeongan provinces, for example the story about the elementary school kids who were arrested for writing graffiti that criticized the three Kims in a parody of the Three Bears song.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Koreans are long on rhetoric and short on specifics...
sure...they might try and shoot a few bullets toward the south and might even kill a few folks..but that's the extent of it.
If the north were to use their million man army...at first..they would create a lot of damage no doubt.
It would take a few days to get enough of the allies into south korea to repel the north...but during that time...it won't be nice.
If NK was assure that the Chinese would back their play..they would have attacked the south long ago.
And that's up in the air. Meaning no one knows if China will help the north.
China has a vested interest in NOT having the U.S. in the north; they do not want the U.S. military so close to their border.
And if the north does use the nukes they claim to have...well...kiss the south good bye.
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about this the last couple days.

China keeps the North's head above water because a bad buffer is better than having the U.S. Army at their back door. It is a bad buffer though, North Korea is a drain and offers nothing but that physical buffer.

China has the control to end the regime in a matter of weeks by shutting off the support. That would lead to collapse, followed by an unwieldy grab for what is left from China and the South, which could and probably would open the door to a widening conflict. Or it could lead to a desperate lashing out which would eventually be followed by the North's defeat and back to the grab for what's left.

Three things have to happen for China to realize collapsing the regime would be beneficial to them. Foremost, the U.S. must commit to a complete withdrawal from the peninsula and South Korea needs to commit to maintaining combat forces south of the 38th parallel.

Secondly, the current regime and a large number of high ranking officials, and military commanders that enjoy a luxurious life in the North must be given assurance of not only amnesty, but a comparably comfortable and safe 'retirement' in China or the U.S.

Finally, and this is the point I still am working the details out on, some sort of ongoing economic benefit needs to be realized by both China and South Korea. Not sure if this stems simply from having a trading partner that is no longer a drain on their resources as well as having rail and pipelines open to the South; economic zones for Chinese factories to be set up; resource rights; or a combination of some, all, or others I haven't thought of yet.

This is the plan the U.S. should be presenting to China and we could get past this relic of the Cold War.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White House is concerned ...
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-concerned-north-korean-threats-172805702.html

Hopefully, they're still seeking possible diplomatic solutions in addition to a "best defense is a great counterpunch" strategy...
rollo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new report, china is building five new beidges into N.K. This is important. Appartently even the Norks are not happy about this. china also has bulked up its forces on the Nork border.
slothrop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, this analysis is wrong - or not applicable yet ... http://news.yahoo.com/history-shows-nkorean-pattern-wait-then-attack-112646404.html

Video of NK and SK rallies ... http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/03/12/north-and-south-korea-hold-duelling-rall?videoId=241579524&videoChannel=1

How about this strategy?... http://news.yahoo.com/america-handle-nuclear-threats-kim-jong-un-104500420.html
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Do you realize you're arguing with a loon whose modus operandi is to make outrageous claims, expose his idiocy, disappear for a year and then come back hoping everyone has forgotten?

If not, check out his posts on why he's even in Korea or how he rescued a guy by magically summoning other waygooks out of thin air. He's someone's sock account. And that someone isn't quite sane.

Rolling Eyes Yeah man, you've got it all figured out...not.

People can go ahead and read my past posts. They might learn something new. On the other hand, if they searched your past posts, they would find thousands of insults, personal attacks, and false accusations. Not really that educational, interesting, or relevant to anyone's life. We get it- you have a Korean wife, Korean kids, and a huge chip on your shoulder (sounds like one other dude I know), and hence feel the need to make thousands of posts on a board (about a country you don't live in and an industry you don't work in) attacking anyone who says anything that could be construed as the least bit negative about the place. Sweet hobby, bro (not really). Maybe instead of spending thousands of hours on this forum, you should use that time to raise your family.

For the record, no one exposed anything, and I have nothing to hide. I am 100% not a sock account. The reason why I left the board for a year is I didn't want to waste anymore time getting into e-arguments with middle aged weirdos who have absolutely no life. (I read a meme that said "Internet arguments are like the Special Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded; Robert Greene wrote in his books The 48 Laws of Power and The 33 Strategies of War, "Don't fight someone who has less to lose than you do.") BTW, me leaving Dave's for a year is even documented. Psychologists say if you tell people your goal in advance, you are more likely to follow through. (I knew if came back sooner than one year, there would be dozens of foam at the mouth rabid Korea defenders who would never let me hear the end of it.)

In regards to your specific accusations (against me), they are pathetic. You think I care about what some anonymous stranger hiding behind a computer screen can sling at me? Nevertheless, I will waste my time addressing them to make to you lose what little credibility you have left. (I am helping to rid these forums of trolls to make them a better place.)

Hongdae party spots at 1 am on Saturday have many foreigners all over the place. I did not use magic to pull them out of thin air. Anyone who has been to the 홍대놀거리 can back what I'm saying.

I'm in Korea for money. To quote John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans."

Many times you brought up me saying waitresses can make good money as evidence I'm a crazy person. But what I said is true. Servers make way more than the cooks and dishwashers. Looks matter (and females are preferred over males). If you think what I am saying is absurd (about waitresses being able to make good money) what that says about you is you've had limited interaction with attractive women throughout the course of your life (not surprising).

fosterman wrote:
being single helps a lot. F2 teachers are married so have more expenses.
they need a car, shopping, visiting relatives, kids, more bills, bigger houses, flights back home cost 3 or 4 times more. so saving is much harder.

I think being single anywhere in the world means saving more.

and those guys who are saying rents back home are 600 bucks a month??
come on. most people I know share a house. so the rents are not 600 bucks for a ghetto one room, most people live in beautiful houses with a couple of people, have a nice room and share the bills, nothing wrong with that.it's custom back home. and frankly it was the norm here too. the one room studio thing is new, back in the 90's most teachers shared with 2 or 3 other teachers.
so the rents are 300 a month. not 600-800 like some are saying.
and I don't know anyone earning less than 500 bucks a week who are full time. most earn 800 a week at entry level positions. I know waiters who clear 1000 bucks a week EASY. and pay 100 bucks a week in rent for a modest room down town. a lot of people earn 15-20 bucks an hour.
many labor jobs pay 20-25 bucks an hour cash in hand.
brick layers etc.. to say ESL in Korea is the only option to save money is total horse dung. problem is, a lot of people haven't even tried to make money home, they came here out of UNI or after a couple years working home and then arrived here and spent their 20's here.. so they thing it's very hard back home.
it's not..

You told edwardcatflap he can't stand to hear about someone making as much as he does, but that sounds like a better description of yourself. You hate news about people in the U.S. doing well financially because you like to think of yourself as way ahead of everyone else.

madoka wrote:
Look through world traveler's old posts and you find him claim that:

- waitresses make about $50,000 per year (i.e. $25 per hour) in largely unreported income
- bartenders make up to $100,000 per year in largely unreported income
- the average salary for a college grad is $60,000

Not even my exact words, but close enough (well...somewhat close to what I said).

http://wcco.com/goodquestion/high.school.diploma.2.1731858.html
Quote:
According to U.S. Census bureau data, in 1975 high school graduates made 27 percent more than dropouts.

Today, graduates make 48 percent more than dropouts. Having a high school degree clearly pays financial dividends.

"If you don't have the diploma as an entrance to the world of work, you're really going to struggle," said Seagren.

But having a college diploma is even more valuable today than it used to be. In 1975, college graduates made 57 percent more than high school grads. In 2008, college graduates made 87 percent more than those with a high school degree.

A 2008 high school graduate averaged $31,283 in salary, and a college grad averaged $58,613.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36663479/ns/us_news-census_2010
Quote:
"The data also demonstrate the extent to which having such a degree pays off: average earnings in 2008 totaled $83,144 for those with an advanced degree, compared with $58,613 for those with a bachelor�s degree only," the bureau said in its statement.

"People whose highest level of attainment was a high school diploma had average earnings of $31,283," it added.

Did it ever occur to you when you call people who are telling the truth liars, that makes you a liar?

You accused edwardcatflap of lying about his salary, and posted an old post of his from before he got a raise as "proof".

You said the person who posted about seeing a man hit a woman in public was making up the story.

You called the person who wrote about the Norwegian doctor who married a Korean girl a liar.

You called me unintelligent many times, and refered to me as "retard", "idiot", and "simpleton".

Guess what? I have an IQ two standard deviations above the norm (meaning I technically meet the definition of opposite of a "retard"). Want me to prove it?

You recycle the same three low insults against anyone who won't praise all things Korean to the sky: stupid, crazy, and liar. Pretty scummy of you. How you are not banned is beyond me. You are the Teflon Don of Internet trolls.

BTW, speaking of sock accounts, you seem to have no problem with the davidmeetup/jennykwon; crossmr/alongway; zackback/kimchininja sock accounts. I guess as long as someone is praising Korea while bashing the West, they are A-OK in your book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: