Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY IS EVERYTHING BLUEEE!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiwiRob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: WHY IS EVERYTHING BLUEEE!!!!! Reply with quote

Kind of curious.. when you zoom in on any city of south korea on google maps you will notice that you see blue roof tops everywhere.

What on earth? Why are they all blue? And everywhere?
diver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: WHY IS EVERYTHING BLUEEE!!!!! Reply with quote

KiwiRob wrote:
Kind of curious.. when you zoom in on any city of south korea on google maps you will notice that you see blue roof tops everywhere.

What on earth? Why are they all blue? And everywhere?

I have wondered the same thing. My Korean friend day that there is no significance to the color. It may just be that the blue roof company is more successful than the other color roof companies.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the popular roof paint choice in Seoul being green. There is the white painted roof theory being "green" for the environment. Maybe the thought is blue and or green paint does the same?
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue roofs traditionally were a sign of an upper class family. They became popular during the modernization push in the 70's. Whether or not that's entirely accurate is up for debate (since this is Dave's), but that's what I found online when I asked this question upon riding through the countryside after I arrived.
javis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
Blue roofs traditionally were a sign of an upper class family. They became popular during the modernization push in the 70's. Whether or not that's entirely accurate is up for debate (since this is Dave's), but that's what I found online when I asked this question upon riding through the countryside after I arrived.

the homes you saw in the country have roofs that color because it is a reference to celadon roof tiles, which first became popular in the middle ages in Korea (goryeo dynasty) Celadon Roof tile and were revived as a strong national symbol in modern times. the OP is talking about modern buildings with a flat roof that is painted green, though, so I would assume that the color was chosen with the same frame of mind.
orosee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:

This is pretty much the answer I remember from a similar thread here in 2008 or 2009. I also remember the guide making such remarks during a walk through the garden palace (she actually insisted on having us identify the roof colour of a specific building). And then there's of course the "Blue House", another hint that this colour has some significance in Korean culture (perhaps similar to the colour of Kings, purple, in ancient history).

I'm a red-roof person myself, but this explanation seems to be quite reasonable for this country. Not too long ago, cars were exclusively seen in either black or white (both terrible colours for certain seasons here) and the explanation was again more cultural rather than a shortage in specific pigments.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the Chosun period, blue tiles were expensive and labor intensive, so houses with blue tiles usually belonged to rich and powerful families. The image of blue tiles being synonymous with affluence probably lasted long after the Chosun period ended.
Julius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because the government provided only one color paint for housing and construction assistance in the 70's.

Its all that was available on the cheap.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javis wrote:

the homes you saw in the country have roofs that color because it is a reference to celadon roof tiles, which first became popular in the middle ages in Korea (goryeo dynasty) Celadon Roof tile and were revived as a strong national symbol in modern times. the OP is talking about modern buildings with a flat roof that is painted green, though, so I would assume that the color was chosen with the same frame of mind.

Not to nitpick (honestly), but the OP was discussing the blue roofs, not green ones. Byrddogs mentioned the modern roofs painted green. Everything else we agree on Wink.
javis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
javis wrote:

Not to nitpick (honestly), but the OP was discussing the blue roofs, not green ones. Byrddogs mentioned the modern roofs painted green. Everything else we agree on Wink.

Right Wink
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
javis wrote:

I was just stating that the OP stated that every city everywhere had all blue roofs, and that I remember most roofs in Seoul being green.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear you loud n' clear, Byrddogs. I think this is one of the only threads I've read on the entire internet where there is a satisfactory answer to the OP's question with all contributing parties in agreement and no one calling each other jerks. Do we win a prize?
KiwiRob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work team. Daves ESL community 1. World 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: