Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have any regrets working for SMOE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Do you have any regrets working for SMOE? Reply with quote

I've been reading a few blogs on SMOE, and researching here and there and I'm finding quite a lot of negativity in terms of Seoul schools (principals, co-teachers, SMOE district officials and coordinators)

Are you currently working with SMOE? Have you worked for them in the recent past?

What was your experience like? Any regrets?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER hard to get into these days. I wouldn't count on getting a job with them. They cut jobs, and those already within the system got first dibs on the remaining ones.
goreality

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some schools that do have coworkers and principals who can make your life more miserable than it should be. They may not like the program or they may feel you are annoying or unqualified. If you are a good teacher, worker and person, you can usually turn them around. There are probably even more foreigners who come to work in schools and turn their coworkers against them, for failing in those categories, but fail to realize the source of the problems. Coordinators and district officials don't bother you unless you have some sort of serious conflict with your school, usually they just clarify your role or duties when there is a misunderstanding.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any regrets working for SMOE. I was treated well by both the BOE and by my school during my time there. I do regret a little becoming too comfortable and not moving on from Korea earlier, however. I'm content these days working at an international school for Korean expat students in another country.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goreality wrote:
There are some schools that do have coworkers and principals who can make your life more miserable than it should be. They may not like the program or they may feel you are annoying or unqualified. If you are a good teacher, worker and person, you can usually turn them around. There are probably even more foreigners who come to work in schools and turn their coworkers against them, for failing in those categories, but fail to realize the source of the problems. Coordinators and district officials don't bother you unless you have some sort of serious conflict with your school, usually they just clarify your role or duties when there is a misunderstanding.

Accurate observations, in my lengthy experience, not just for smoe but public schools in general.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
goreality wrote:

Accurate observations, in my lengthy experience, not just for smoe but public schools in general.

I agree. To expand on this, if you do a good job then you will be recognized by the school, district office, and BOE. I was able to make extra money each term by doing presentations, observing/giving input on other district NET teachers, being on the evaluating committies for KETs demos for hiring, etc...
cam83

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working for SMOE and have been since 2009. Im a black guy from London and have been treated very well over the years. Any issues I had were sorted out in a professional manner and there is generally a lot of support if you ask for it. There were a few teachers I didn't get along with but you just suck it up and do your job well... small gestures like offering to help with a little paperwork or bring in some fruits for the staff goes a long way ^^

SMOE is probably the most difficult public school job to get nowadays (for reasons stated by an earlier post). In order to stay on, every year they give us a practical review (40-45min class demo seen by SMOE admin), then a teachers review (basically shows you get along and can work well together) and then a student review (they evaluate what they think of your lessons/attitude/general enjoyment of the class). Oh and let's not forget the parents. Overall, you have to score 80% or above to be considered for renewal.

I think the negative posts will likely be from those who have had a particular issue/problem with their schools/co-teacher that they couldn't resolve. I'm interested to know, what type of bad reviews have you been reading? Could you give any examples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: