Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEPIK, EPIK, SMOE, GOE, MOE, POE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve902

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: GEPIK, EPIK, SMOE, GOE, MOE, POE Reply with quote

Is there any meaningful difference between the compensation, housing, or working conditions for any of those (or other similar acronym using groups)? They seem like basically the same thing, but for different areas.

They're all public school organizations, right? It seems like there's a little (not a lot) more pay if someone works in a rural area, takes a lot more hours, or works in multiple schools (or has other hardships).

Basically, it seems like all the jobs in Korea (except international schools) hover around the same salary, with the same benefits, and the same number of days off. Some are slightly better than others in one area or worse in another, but the difference isn't substantial.

Stripping away any kind of rural or hardship bump in pay, does it make any difference for a person's quality of life if he/ she takes one over the other?
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing tends to be substantially larger in smaller communities, with all the usual mod cons.

Classes in the countryside are typically smaller & rural kids tend to be sweet-natured.
steve902

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the info, but I'm wondering if you strip away the fact that they represent different areas (so each area would be different), is there any really meaningful difference between the approaches the organizations use to treat their teachers?

From the outside, it seems like the differences are far less substantial than US urban district A vs. US urban district B or US urban district A vs. US rural district.

Separate from a small rural bump in pay, are there differences in how the organizations treat employees? For example, does one organization make sure to give top of the line housing (as compared to the local housing market, rather than the national housing market)? Or does another organization give relatively bigger salary bumps for experienced teachers (beyond the base salary advertised)? I'm thinking about distinctions along those lines.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base salaries throughout all the programs are standardized to national epik criteria & non-negotiable. Extra potential earnings are on a school-by-school basis. Official vacation time also follows the basic contract.

Some provinces have district coordinators that help look after teacher interests. Others pretty much leave you to sink or swim on your own.

Individual schools sort out your housing. Some make the effort to find the nicest affordable option, some dont.

I dont think any of the programs you list stand out as particularly superior. They all basically follow MOE directives. Some district supervisors are more kindly disposed towards native english teachers, then they transfer out & things can go south. Or vice versa.

English has taken a big budget hit this year. A lot of belt-tightening going on.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEPIK, EPIK, SMOE, GOE, MOE, POE

They are not all programs.

GEPIK = program. Gyeonggi English Program In Korea.
EPIK = program. English Program in Korea.
SMOE is NOT a program and no is no longer responsible for recruitment. Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education.
GOE = no clue. Perhaps GPOE: Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education.
MOE = Ministry of Education (national)
POE = Provincial Office of Education (every province has one).

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Housing tends to be substantially larger in smaller communities, with all the usual mod cons.

Classes in the countryside are typically smaller & rural kids tend to be sweet-natured.

Not always. Housing can be small and crappy in small areas too. Not as much new housing if it's very rural. Older housing built more than 5 to 10 years ago very terrible with no insulation and thin windows which allows for the growth of mold as Korea often has a lot of humidity in the air. Seeps through and sticks to the wall paper turning to mold. Also heat not so great. If the old building comes with no air con, don't count on the local ed office to have one installed. This was my experience.

Larger cities might be better. Most of the time, local ed offices will not pay the deposit money so it's really a role of the dice whether you get a decent place or not. They often have to negotiate with a landlord to get them to agree to rent without a huge deposit. A more modern one room can be 3 million deposit in the regional cities and 10 million in Seoul. This is for a 10 pyeong room. Nothing special, but newer buildings properly insulated with less chance of mold, better energy efficiency, and lower gas bill in winter. Again, my experience. Not sure about others in other places.

I paid my own deposit when I moved to a regional city and took the rent subsidy. No mold and good heating in winter. Before, housing was shiite.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:

I paid my own deposit when I moved to a regional city and took the rent subsidy. No mold and good heating in winter. Before, housing was shiite.

Did you arrive, find housing you didn't care for, then make alternate arrangements? Or was it all sorted prior to arrival?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: