Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If War Breaks Out.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you seem to have no problem with the davidmeetup/jennykwon; crossmr/alongway; zackback/kimchininja sock accounts. I guess as long as someone is praising Korea while bashing the West, they are A-OK in your book.

Now now, I don't think Zackback has praised anyone but himself.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote : "psychologists say if you tell people your goal in advance, you are more likely to follow through".

dont want to nit pick too much, but its quite the opposite...
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Right, but his alter ego, KimchiNinja, does. KimchiNinja praises Korea while bashing the West all the time. It's annoying. The guy is trolling to get a reaction. (pretty pathetic)
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
quote : "psychologists say if you tell people your goal in advance, you are more likely to follow through".

Really? Maybe this line of thought is controversial then. But for me it helps (I think), and I think it's a good strategy for others, too. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

http://blog.rapidfitness.com/default.aspx?Tag=never
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Right, but his alter ego, KimchiNinja, does. KimchiNinja praises Korea while bashing the West all the time. It's annoying. The guy is trolling to get a reaction. (pretty pathetic)

I dunno, I find myself oddly impressed that some guy could just post random douchey posts from time to time that result in everyone remembering who he is despite accomplishing absolutely nothing and him reaching the point of mild endearment at his ridiculousness.

Sorta like the Kevin Federline of Dave's.

As for KimchiNinja, I confuse him with KimchiFart. Sorta like Bippity Bop and Bloppity Bloop.

The sudden realization that I'm arguing with an adult over adults named KimchiFart and Bloopity Bloop just hit me. Time for whiskey and Zeppelin.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Really? Maybe this line of thought is controversial then. But for me it helps (I think), and I think it's a good strategy for others, too. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

http://blog.rapidfitness.com/default.aspx?Tag=never

i understand the logic of being positive positive thinking (re:blog). however, alot of scientific papers from the past few years say something to the effect of this; if you tell others that you are going to do something, it releases the same chemicals into your brain as actually having done it. It therefore leaves you with the same feeling of satisfaction as having accomplished your goal. the theories go therefore, that if you tell people your goals, youre less likely to see them through.
Anyway, just pointed it out because it thought it was interesting....
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
slothrop wrote:
1997 was a swing in the sense that it came back. like a swing. weeee!
the won has traditionally lost half it's value every few years since the second south korean won was created in the early 60's. i think it started out at like 120 to the dollar. so technically, losing half it's value every few years has been the norm. the fact that it came close to 1997 value ten years later in 2007 was the exception or 'epic event'.

It took months for the Won to recover in 1997-1998. When it did recover it was not at the previous level. Then it kind of stabilized for a couple of years. I do not remember a 50% devaluation happening in a short term since 1997, but could be wrong.

When I looked at the exchange rate, it dropped radically in 1997 and 1998, partially recovered in 1999 and was back on track by 2001. I'm only speaking for the Canadian dollar. I looked it up on the internet and haven't experienced it, personally. At the end of 2008, the won fell, though not as much, but still a lot. It still, 4 and a half years later, hasn't recovered. While 1997, was more severe, the recovery was much quicker.
madoka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
In regards to your specific accusations (against me), they are pathetic. You think I care about what some anonymous stranger hiding behind a computer screen can sling at me?

Laughing Why yes, you seem to care a great deal what I think! Laughing

You need to up your meds. You're getting your stories confused:

World Traveler wrote:
Very few people I've met care about what is happening to the people of North Korea. I came here so I could learn the Korean language so I could help them. Do you have a problem with that?

World Traveler wrote:
I'm in Korea for money.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea claims that they're ready for war. Of course, they're probably bluffing, but I think it's gotten to the point where the U.S. has to take its threats more seriously ... http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/korea-north-combat-idUSL3N0CI14H20130326?feedType=RSS&feedName=industrialsSector&rpc=43

I don't think the U.S. will let them build up their long-range military capability much more before planning/doing something to stop it. Hopefully, a diplomatic solution can be made within a year.
Kiwigoddess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea to cut all channels with South as "war may break out any time"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/us-korea-north-idUSBRE92Q07E20130327
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are empty threats. Though NK is unlikely to launch a nuclear attack, it could conduct a conventional one at SK that would lead to an escalating series of retaliations that could get out of hand, it has the potential of an escalatory vicious circle. All these threats are nothing new, NK just wants attention.
And let's not forget the big point....China will back NK....the Chinese do not want the American military on their border which is what would happen if the U.S. gets a foothold in NK.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better make your face up in
Your favorite disguise
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past
With your nerves in tatters
As the cockleshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down your door
You better run
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
These are empty threats. Though NK is unlikely to launch a nuclear attack, it could conduct a conventional one at SK that would lead to an escalating series of retaliations that could get out of hand, it has the potential of an escalatory vicious circle. All these threats are nothing new, NK just wants attention.
And let's not forget the big point....China will back NK....the Chinese do not want the American military on their border which is what would happen if the U.S. gets a foothold in NK.

China is unlikely to back NK if NK wants to go to war. Economics trump politics here. China's largest export market is the US.
NilesQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
hellofaniceguy wrote:

China is unlikely to back NK if NK wants to go to war. Economics trump politics here. China's largest export market is the US.

So true! Also, the US owes China a lot of money. Good luck collecting on that if they go to war!
slothrop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: