Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songtan - good place to go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good kebab restaurant called SupremeS a couple doors down from McDonalds. Also, I have been told that "Lee's Sports", next to McDonalds, is the most reliable store for ordering sports jerseys for about 40,000. Is that true and can anyone verify this? I'm thinking about getting a Welker 83 Broncos jersey made now that Welker has escaped from the dark side of the force.
lemak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Anyone know about the Puffin?

Becoming progressively more koreanized from year to year.

Also serving sizes getting smaller and prices rising.

Shame. Back in 2006 or so it was one of the best bistro pub type places in the country.

As far as drinking, Osan Lounge is brilliant. Love their alcoholic slurpees. A couple of Baccardi 151 flavored ones will leave you reeling for the next hour or two.

I * love* the Turkish place, Star Kebab (not the hole in the wall place selling the kebabs, but the actual restaurant) next to Popeyes.

Also there's a very good Peruvian restaurant down near the overpass leading to Songtan City proper. Possible the only Peruvian restaurant in Korea...????
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
As far as drinking, Osan Lounge is brilliant. Love their alcoholic slurpees. A couple of Baccardi 151 flavored ones will leave you reeling for the next hour or two.

Where's that?

And was the Mexican place in again or out again before you jumped across the pond?

Quote:
I * love* the Turkish place, Star Kebab (not the hole in the wall place selling the kebabs, but the actual restaurant) next to Popeyes.

Also there's a very good Peruvian restaurant down near the overpass leading to Songtan City proper. Possible the only Peruvian restaurant in Korea...????

With the weather warming up, looks like I know where to go for my next foodie trip, cheers.
K1020

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the places I would go to for Kebab the one not operated by Turks would not be on my list. I personally avoid Supremes after hearing some nastiness about food poisoning. . . Kebebs from Star Kebab are good. Also for western diner/ family restaurant fair check out Ono above volume, it's new and relatively on point as far as food goes.
Also, the new Thai place where Sawdaii (or whatever) used to be is really good.

@Zyzyfer: Mexican place is going strong.

O Lounge is north of the main gate about a block. on the east side of the street you'll see a convenience store, and a rug shop about the same time as you spot the Osan lounge sign.
lemak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1020 wrote:
O Lounge is north of the main gate about a block. on the east side of the street you'll see a convenience store, and a rug shop about the same time as you spot the Osan lounge sign.

Basically this. Walk from the main gate towards the old Chicken Head. It's on the opposite side of the road. If you get to the Chicken Head (whatever it's called now - Happy Jacks or something) building you've gone too far.

They have a facebook page.

Loads of new bars have been placed off limits now, too - which is often a death knell for many of those places relying on 95% military custom. Like that Corner Sports one where you'd throw the ice from the glasses against the target. Place stank like old pee, the draft beer was 100% guaranteed to give you diarrhea the next day and the guy played his hip hop crap way too loud, but it was the scene of many a memorable/infamous night.

The Mex place when I left was pretty decent, but if it's continuing with it's old great one year, crap the next it should be going through it's crap phase ATM, lol.

There was a pretty good Philly cheesesteak place that had opened up down Aragon Alley too by a Korean guy who had lived in D.C for 20 or 30 years, but last I heard he'd sold it and it was being run by a bunch of Filippinos and hence had deteriorated somewhat. Can't confirm this from personal experience though.

I miss Songtan actually. It's a pretty funky little place.

Still have nightmares about old Sally, though.
javis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to leave Songtan as much as possible...

That said, if you like getting blackout drunk, or eating at Brazilian steakhouses, or buying cheap custom-made items, or playing pool/darts competitively, or hanging out with military folk who are slightly on the brainy side, there is reason to come here.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1020 wrote:
Of all the places I would go to for Kebab the one not operated by Turks would not be on my list. I personally avoid Supremes after hearing some nastiness about food poisoning. . . Kebebs from Star Kebab are good. Also for western diner/ family restaurant fair check out Ono above volume, it's new and relatively on point as far as food goes.
Also, the new Thai place where Sawdaii (or whatever) used to be is really good.

@Zyzyfer: Mexican place is going strong.

What did you hear about Supremes?
I-am-me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Supreme Kebabs. They are fantastic. There is a new mexican restaurant also opening up about halfway down on Aragon Alley. For Jerseys, yes, Mr Lee's is the best place to go. I think he is the only one making personalized jerseys nowadays. The others are pre-made and more expensive. And, if you are lucky, I have heard some teachers are also working as juicy girls in the clubs there. You never know who you might meet!
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-am-me wrote:
I can vouch for Supreme Kebabs. They are fantastic. There is a new mexican restaurant also opening up about halfway down on Aragon Alley. For Jerseys, yes, Mr Lee's is the best place to go. I think he is the only one making personalized jerseys nowadays. The others are pre-made and more expensive. And, if you are lucky, I have heard some teachers are also working as juicy girls in the clubs there. You never know who you might meet!

But what about the fries?

I also like the pizza at Pizza Club, around the righthand corner from Main Gate, past Obama Realty. That's the best pizza in Songtan.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still there, on occaision, eating at Pizza Club - taking those massive and rather delicious "heart attacks on a bun." Miss Lee's special burgers to go are great so I "down" a few. That Star Kebab is good but the prices are higher than in Itaewon. Still, it's a mighty tasty lamb kebab. That burrito place across the street is not worth your time. The meat buffet down the street across from Baskin Robbins is a good deal but make sure you're hungry. I'm not a big fan of the Korean food choices but they have to please everyone, you know. Plus, there's plenty of meat choices. Just make sure you're hungry and only bring "buffet people." You know what I mean. Anybody else got any tips? How are those Brazilian and South American restaurants? Has anyone tried them?
sojusucks

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to ask one more question. Isn't that McDonald's taped voice announcement outside the store kind of bizarre? It reminds me of brainwashing the way it runs through the same announcement over and over again. It must be the next step for McDonald's to attract customers. It does draw your attention. In case you haven't heard it, it's a loop of a woman talking about McDonald's food. Is it the beginning of a "Ronald McDonald" cult, ha ha?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
I'm still there, on occaision, eating at Pizza Club - taking those massive and rather delicious "heart attacks on a bun." Miss Lee's special burgers to go are great so I "down" a few. That Star Kebab is good but the prices are higher than in Itaewon. Still, it's a mighty tasty lamb kebab. That burrito place across the street is not worth your time. The meat buffet down the street across from Baskin Robbins is a good deal but make sure you're hungry. I'm not a big fan of the Korean food choices but they have to please everyone, you know. Plus, there's plenty of meat choices. Just make sure you're hungry and only bring "buffet people." You know what I mean. Anybody else got any tips? How are those Brazilian and South American restaurants? Has anyone tried them?

Are you responding to yourself from last year?
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
sojusucks wrote:

Are you responding to yourself from last year?

I am posting it for the newer arrivals, which are the individuals that probably care the most about this.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for those who want to eat food.

Thai food is pretty decent if its your pic. There are two places, the first is by the main gate and its on the second floor. Its decent enough, nothing special but I ate it without getting sick. The second place is down the main strip across from a nike store. It is on the right side, 2nd floor. Better tasting but a lil pricier if memory recalls.

The jersey store does a good job and the jersey a friend bought from there still hasnt torn after 2 years so its at the very least, decent quality.

Mexican restaurant across from baskin robbins is pretty decent as well. Recently they raised the prices a little as well as changing some menu items. It is still pretty good though and there are mexicans cooking, so its authentic enough.

My favorite place is the brazilian steak buffet near the nike store. Its 25,000 for all you can eat steak. There is also chicken and sausage that they serve as well. If you are a big meat eater and enjoy the place, they have the frequent visitor card that can earn you a free meal.
wylies99

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restaurant selection does change as restaurants come and go. But it's still the best place for a change of pace south of Suwon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: