Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a 45 minute flight layover enough at Chicago O'Hare?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Is a 45 minute flight layover enough at Chicago O'Hare? Reply with quote

I am flying to Chicago on a Shuttle Express flight to catch a flight to Munich. The problem is the layover is only 45 minutes. Of course I did not book the flight myself. I am wondering if that is enough of a layover at Chicago O'Hare airport for an International flight?
rollo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to hustle to catch your flight. it takes a while to get to the International wing by the train. would be very very close.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both United domestic and international flights leave from terminal 1 (intl. arrivals are terminal 5).

If your arrival flight is in the same concourse as your departing one (there are 2 different buildings in terminal 1), you won't have any problems. If they are in seperate concourses, you will be pressed for time.
Deja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's presusing the arrival flight is not delayed. Which is hardly unexpected.

Don't you need to clear immigration at O'Hare in your case??
jonbowman88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You absolutely will not have enough time. Trust me I know from experience.

When you fly into the US you have to wait to collect your luggage, then you need to go through immigration, then security, then find your gate. Not only that, but oftentimes even if you do make it to your gate, they have stopped boarding and given your seat away to someone else.

45 minutes will simply not be enough time under any circumstances. I will never book another flight with less than 1.5 hours of layover time when entering the US. Two hours is ideal. And the airlines have to know this, I don't know why they sell tickets like this.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious there won't be enough time. I just wanted to confirm it with other people on the forum before I tried to change the tickets, which I don't think I can.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbowman88 wrote:
stopped boarding and given your seat away to someone else.

It would be boarding for an international flight. I don't think they can give the seat away for International flights.
jonbowman88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
jonbowman88 wrote:
stopped boarding and given your seat away to someone else.

It would be boarding for an international flight. I don't think they can give the seat away for International flights.

Whatever, you'll never make your flight and 12-24+ hours will be added to your journey.
nora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuttle Express = not international.

Check the terminals and airlines. If you're not going from one side to the other, you should just make it. I've only been in O'Hare a handful of times, but I had 1 hour to make it from a United puddle jumper flight to a Korean Air flight to Incheon. My flight was a bit late getting in, and I was the LAST person to check in for the flight to Incheon, but I made it. As far as terminals go, I don't remember where I landed/left from, but I did have to take some shuttle train, so it wasn't just one gate to the next.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, if I miss my flight because of the short layover will I be boarded on another flight? For an International flight something tells me not.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Another question, if I miss my flight because of the short layover will I be boarded on another flight? For an International flight something tells me not.

What do you mean? Will you be boarded on another flight? You mean will you get a seat for another flight to Munich? Sure. Or if there aren't any seats, they might route you via frankfurt (and then probably take a lufthansa flight to munich).

You'll be fine even if you miss your flight since it is all one ticket, United is responsible for getting you to Munich. Not your fault if you miss your flight, it is theirs.

Quote:
Whatever, you'll never make your flight and 12-24+ hours will be added to your journey.

Sounds like it is a domestic flight into Chicago, he'll make the flight to Munich (assuming the first flight isn't delayed).
tophatcat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

I have encountered a similar situation. A few years back, I had a short layover in Chicago on my way to Korea. It just so happened that my flight was a little late arriving to Chicago and I was put on another international flight to Korea due to lack of switch over time causing me to miss my flight. I didn't have to wait long. But the big problem was, my luggage was transferred to a different route than me in the ordeal. I received my luggage about 3 days later. In my opinion, too many things can go wrong in a short layover. It would have been a close call in ideal circumstances, I gambled, I lost.

Now I always give myself a reasonable buffer of time in a layover.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

I unfortunately have a lot of experience to answer this question.

If you have a single ticket (i.e. it's a true layover scheduled by the airline, not because you bought separate tickets), once you board the plane the airline is responsible and they will find another flight for you or will re-route you through a different airport.

If you bought separate tickets, it's your responsibility to make the second flight on time.
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate even a two hour layover. It's just one extra thing to worry about. With long flights I'd pay more for peace of mind and a relaxing trip
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing everyone seems to be missing, or perhaps I'm wrong on this, but isn't layover time figured from the time one plane lands to when the next one takes off? If that's the case, then there would be far less time than 45 minutes as going from runway to terminal can eat up a considerable amount of time, as well as the time involved with disembarking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: