Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'where can I find ...?' forum - can there be one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: 'where can I find ...?' forum - can there be one? Reply with quote

A successful forum on the forumosa (Taiwan) website has this theme. There, the focus is on finding specific goods and services.

I think this would make a very useful addition to Dave's Korea forums. Since most of us here aren't from Korea and therefore find ourselves living in a foreign country, it seems naturally relevant.

Thoughts?
thrylos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't
1. Home Plus
2. Emart
3. Itaewon
4. Gmarket
(in that order) dominate most of the answers to the queries?
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:
Wouldn't
1. Home Plus
2. Emart
3. Itaewon
4. Gmarket
(in that order) dominate most of the answers to the queries?

I don't think so.. Examples for which those are not the best answer:
electronics repair
post office with specific hours
bicycles
motorbikes
craft shops
pre-paid phone service & SIM card
therapeutic massage
dentist
district tax office
health food store
specific kinds of restaurants in particular areas
running shoe store
shoe repair
clothing repair
hiking boots ...
nora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you can find all of that stuff with simple korean searches on naver. Sure, recommendations for a GOOD dentist would be good, but to find all that other stuff is simple with basic Korean and I think most folks who COULD help would get bored rather quickly. Besides, anyone who is here for more than a few weeks should be able to figure this stuff out with naver and a good pocket dictionary.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im also not too sure its necessary. most of the searches ive found to be useful are on expat pages on facebook for example 'daegu....' or a korea motorcycle page or korean rock climbers. ive never found daves to be specific enough. the biggest reason is that i think the majority of people on here dont live where i usually do my shopping.
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
im also not too sure its necessary. most of the searches ive found to be useful are on expat pages on facebook for example 'daegu....' or a korea motorcycle page or korean rock climbers. ive never found daves to be specific enough. the biggest reason is that i think the majority of people on here dont live where i usually do my shopping.

Of course it's not 'necessary'. But ultimately, people will create threads like this in the general discussion forum, which is already filled with daily posts. Why not make a unique forum for this purpose? And again, this isn't just about shopping. For example, I'm personally curious about live music venues outside Hongdae. I think that's a totally valid query, but posting it to the general discussion forum means it's surrounded by discussions like, 'Will there be a war?' and 'Are Koreans racist?' A forum dedicated to finding specific types of places, products, or services has direct practical relevance to life in Korea. And sure I could just search in Naver or Daum, but take the example of running shoes: how will I know which shoe shops specialize in running - as opposed to fashion - and which shoe shops have knowledgeable staff whose English is better than my Korean?
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your intentions are good and its a good idea. but like i said it would probably benefit people living in seoul more. i get all the listings i need from my local facebook pages. we have a 3 flea markets online, local magazine with maps and information on finding local services, music listings, restaurant maps, local group information for most sports, if anyone needs anything we can post on there. plus its not just catering for english teachers, its all ex pats a lot of which are military and students.
another thing that your not taking into consideration os that the search facility on here isnt very good. any older posts would be difficult to search.

so, im not nae saying your idea, if you can get it up and going good, for you. im just saying we already have facebook which is regional and therefore more pertinent sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: