Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
I backed off squat weight a tiny bit, isolated the left leg for a couple weeks, and worked hard on form, and the wobbling problem has been solved. Thanks for the advice, Daves esl.

In other news, deadlifting may be the best part of my week.

That's awesome to hear, man. Good to know that it's getting better.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing light weight (for me)/high reps in the last few weeks. I've had a month-long illness that made it impossible for me to consume as much food as I would have needed in order to sustain lifting heavier and therefore bulking up. I'm feeling better now, so I could get back to bulking up, but problem is that I like the results I've had: very low body fat percentage but only 5kg away from my target weight.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you're digging how it looked/felt, why not continue it for a bit?
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted a bit heavier with low to medium reps today (was one of those days). Not gonna take supplements again just yet, though. I kinda like the leaner look at the moment.
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first roll of shame on the bench press today. Good times. Usually do dumbbell press, but no free benches, so just did barbell. A trainer that was nearby helped. Laughing
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Had my first roll of shame on the bench press today. Good times. Usually do dumbbell press, but no free benches, so just did barbell. A trainer that was nearby helped. Laughing

As in - had to troll the barbell off of ya? lol

I did that tons when I worked out at home in my early days.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest petpeeve - people that don't know how to put down/ drop dumbbells.

Do not drop them on an angle. In fact, there's probably no need to drop them/throw them at all. But if you are going to drop 'em, make sure they hit the ground "flat" - otherwise you're going to bugger 'em and they'll be loose/warped as hell.

And this is something even experienced lifters do Confused
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm bored in the office this morning I shall list the cast of characters at our gym:

The General - you don't mess with him, he's like 100yrs old but massive, he barks out orders to everyone, hence the General.

The Socialite - this MILF comes every single day but doesn't do anything. Just talks to everyone about how rich she is and babbles on her phone while walking backwards on the treadmill at the lowest setting. Not only do the chicks find her annoying, but even the guys complain how annoying she is!

Tae Bo Guy - He teaches the "jumping around punching the air" class. The Socialite has a crush on Tae Bo Guy. I don't have any other data on Tae Bo Guy.

Wacky Form Guy - you guys have probably seen it all, but you haven't seen this. I've never seen anyone swing a dumbbell curl like this guy! It's crazy, he's always doing some new weird exercise with bizarre form, or deadlifting 25kg, or whatever. But he never gets stronger.

The Fat Girl - there aren't many obese Koreans but this girl is like a bowling ball! She does the Tae Bo Guy class. I fell sorry for her, the thin girls actually walk by the classroom (glass room) and point/giggle at her jiggling fat rolls. They do the classic hand to mouth "oh goodness". Sad.

But really sad I know this crap...
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every gym has a Wacky Form Guy, although I'm sure the severity of wackiness varies.

My gym oddly does not have much else going on. It's free for employees where I work (in the office, even) and there are daily lunch break classes so all the ladies join those. Fairly decent percentage of serious enough folks who come in. But we do have a TV Dork, he spends like 20 minutes whipping out a couple of reps on the Smith machine bench press and flipping channels. His workouts also seem totally disorganized. I'd expect this in a public gym but I don't know why this guy rolls into the place.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, we've got the Wacky Form Guy too - and to add to it, he's training his wife with the same wacky stuff.

Also have The Old General - pretty thick old chap - and that's saying a fair bit 'cuz at my current gym, there are a lot of muscled old dudes.

My gym also has The Bodybuilders - a group of between 4-10 ppl that train around the same time. All VERY wide, and very built - chicks included. lol

((and yeah, I'm the wannabe hanging on them. lol))
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever get some dork who jumps on a bench or a machine after you've completed the last set of a drop set, or you've just finished your warmup, adds 5 pounds to the ridiculously light weight and exclaims to his friends "I've lifted heavier than the foreigner!"? That happened to me a couple of times about 10 years ago. That's why I always return the weight back up to my max as soon as I complete a light set.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Yup, we've got the Wacky Form Guy too - and to add to it, he's training his wife with the same wacky stuff.

They are multiplying!!!
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym has,

Old guy that likes to give advice to everyone - nice dude, but can get annoying if you're trying to get in and out quickly.

Guy that has to pump himself up before each set - cool foreigner, pumps himself up before every set by flexing in the mirror. but I understand everyone has their ritual.

wacky form guy - we've got him, but he's pretty big, I suppose years of off form will still make one big.

old women that should not be wearing spandex - yoga pants, sports bra, kinda middle aged, in decent shape but I mean cmon
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That' interesting. usually Wacky Form Guy is not all that big... might wear all the current gear, but is almost always lacking in size - perhaps your guy's form isn't all that wacky? lol
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my gym pretty much everybody except for a few people are weirdos. Old guys with horrible form who I'm sure will end up with joint issues if they keep at it. Old women who spend more time talking than working out. Teenagers who sit on the equipment and play with their phones. Makes me wonder why people even do to the gym.

There are guys twice my size lifting a fraction of what I lift but that's okay because at least they're doing something. Just wish they didn't act like tough guys just because their max deadlift is half of my warm up.

As the only person I've seen actually run for a extended period of time on the treadmill and do squats, I might be the weirdo here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 34 of 51

Jump to: