Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Margaret Thatcher is dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Margaret Thatcher is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Margaret Thatcher, the �Iron Lady,� was a towering figure in British 20th century politics, a grocer�s daughter with a steely resolve who was loved and loathed in equal measure as she crushed the unions and privatised vast swathes of industry.

She died on Monday, aged 87, after suffering a stroke. During her life in politics some worshipped her as a moderniser who transformed the country, others bitterly accused her of entrenching the divide between the rich and the poor.

link

As many of you could probably surmise, I was not a huge fan. I suppose that it's not everyone who gets to see their name and persona used to define not only an entire era, but also an entire ideological tendency.

And on the subject of ideology, it could probably be argued(and in fact HAS been argued) that she wasn't a conservative, but a classical liberal in the undiluted Lockean sense. In the interests of speaking well of the dead, I will mention that she was resolutely pro-choice on abortion, and was(I believe) the only Conservative to vote for abolishing the British sodomy laws back in the 1960s. In her autobiography, she mentioned supporting both these positions, but expressed misgivings about what she regarded as the subsequent social-engineering tendencies of feminism and gay-rights.

On a personal note, I think she's the first person I can rememner being the British PM, though I may have heard the name James Callaghan prior to that. I recall that when she became Prime Minister, there was a lot of buzz about her being a woman leader(who did not inherit the job from a male relative), and that a lot of this hoopla seemed to be devoid of ideological considerations.

link
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. The Iron Lady Sad
Deja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for Frankie Boyle to speak publicly!
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She let the IRA hunger strikers die. That's good enough for me. "You want to bomb and kill people then, when caught, starve yourself to death. Knock yourself out fellas." Ten fewer terrorists the over-burdened tax payer didn't have to carry for twenty-five years. Ten fewer terrorists on the books who'd eventually get released only to kill again."

You're hardly a martyr if you take your own life. Martyrdom, by definition, cannot be self-imposed. Good on ya Maggie for not giving into provo blackmail.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, we'll have a few days of media selective memory loss with people talking about what a strong woman she was etc. Then the funeral. Then people will start remembering why she was so hated and the fecking mess she left as her legacy that we're still living in today.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wanted to find an appropriate way to honor Margaret Thatcher today so took milk away from poor children whilst calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist."
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone old enough to remember maggie on saturday superstore trying to give a music ctitique to pepsi and shirley? im sure she won the hearts of millions of kids after that! heh heh (in nelsons voice)
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She saved Britain, a tragic loss.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what one thought of her, these 'Thatcher is dead' street parties are disgraceful. What century are we living in? They're celebrating the death of an 87 year old great-grandmother who was suffering from advanced dementia. Sure she did some things wrong, and could be cold and indifferent. But she was democratically elected - three times. How do people think her family feel about drunken street parties celebrating her death.

Ghoulish, degenerate and morally indefensible.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
She saved Britain, a tragic loss.

yeah, thats right.

I seem to remember someone trying to privatise everything.

Then i jump forward a few years. I remember trying to get a train ticket from newcastle to london to fly to korea. the ticket cost me 125 pounds. the train was late and when i got on it there was no space to put my luggage and the train was a disgusting mess. i thought at the time, maybe this is what happens when a private company runs a national service.

a few months before that i thought to myself, i cant afford to live here anymore. the electric, telephone, internet and gas bills alone are killing me financially every month. i cant even afford to stay warm in the winter. at least in korea, i can take a long shower. i even read stories about old people actually dying because the gas bills kept increasing by about 17 percent every couple if months.

thats maggies legacy
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Regardless of what one thought of her, these 'Thatcher is dead' street parties are disgraceful. What century are we living in? They're celebrating the death of an 87 year old great-grandmother who was suffering from advanced dementia. Sure she did some things wrong, and could be cold and indifferent. But she was democratically elected - three times. How do people think her family feel about drunken street parties celebrating her death.

Ghoulish, degenerate and morally indefensible.

last time i checked, her son was a mercenary in Africa, trying to cause a coup in equatorial guinea. He's home now though. carol 'golliwog' thatcher too, from her 6 month holiday in switzerland. A model family, im sure they'll all be very upset no doubt.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there ever was a woman who deserved to be called a c--t, it was Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher.
bigverne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thats maggies legacy

All Maggie's fault. It's almost as if New Labour never existed.
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
thats maggies legacy

All Maggie's fault. It's almost as if New Labour never existed.

i read that in a cockney accent
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Regardless of what one thought of her, these 'Thatcher is dead' street parties are disgraceful.

Its basically a symptom of North-south resentment.

Thatcher was a typical southerner with a plummy accent and her nose in the air. She could not be more different than the average anti-intellectualist working class northerner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: