Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Bombing Suspects at MIT. Firefight. Identified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we saw the work of the herd last night and the night prior, with Redditors busily working themselves into a lather wrongly identifying one person after another as the "suspects". Meanwhile, the men who do this for a living somehow managed to find the perps without 'crowd sourcing' the investigation.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I find it troubling how a city - the whole city! - can be put under lock down / martial law so easily. I get that terrorism is emotionally traumatic for a society but to shut down a whole city to find one guy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311809/EXCLUSIVE-The-middle-class-student-married-Boston-bomber-daughter-secretly-converting-Islam-college.html

..best she feels like an ass.
Kimbop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appalling. The left-wing NY Times publishes a sympathetic portrayal of the muslim murderers.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/19/new-york-times-sympathy-for-the-devil/

The pro-Democrat NY Times is a shocking, evil left-wing newspaper that should be ashamed of itself for glorifying murder.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who/whom. The NYT never stopped supporting Bolshevism. They're just moving slower this time, what with the troubles the revolution caused prior.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Also, I find it troubling how a city - the whole city! - can be put under lock down / martial law so easily. I get that terrorism is emotionally traumatic for a society but to shut down a whole city to find one guy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311809/EXCLUSIVE-The-middle-class-student-married-Boston-bomber-daughter-secretly-converting-Islam-college.html

It's not martial law since the military has no judicial role.

This show of police force is nothing new to those of us who are old enough to remember when there were many terrorist attacks in Europe in the '70s and '80s.

Thanks for the link.

I would imagine she is horrified.

I feal bad for their three year-old. The fact he would do such a horrible crime without any concern for how it would affect his own daughter disgusts me to no end.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I was typing my last comment, news have confirmed that the person cornered by the police (he's hiding in a boat), is the second suspect.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

Hailing from the Commonwealth and with about fifty Facebook friends who have been affected by today's festivities, public opinion appears to be very much in favor of what they're doing.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Titus wrote:

Hailing from the Commonwealth and with about fifty Facebook friends who have been affected by today's festivities, public opinion appears to be very much in favor of what they're doing.

Yes, I think the concesus will be that this was handled marvelously well.

What's unsettling is that some of our resident right-wing wingnuts seem disappointed by this.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutting down a city for a manhunt? Yes, I think that might be overkill. Not sure that makes me a wingnut.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

What's unsettling is that some of our resident right-wing wingnuts seem disappointed by this.

I enjoy mindless leftist goal-post shifting. I guess it needs to be said. If this were Dallas and everybody was speaking with a Southern accent we'd be hearing about those over-reacting hicks and their such and such fear of this and that. It would be a different reaction. Who/whom.

Shutting down an entire city because of one potential suicide bomber is *literally* letting the terrorists win.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:
shutting down a city for a manhunt? Yes, I think that might be overkill. Not sure that makes me a wingnut.

I can see the argument, but I still think they're making the right move. Boston is behind it, all levels of government seem to be working in lock-step, and they have the guy cornered. Moreover, his brother had a suicide vest on when he was killed, so there was a serious risk to letting him mix with the public. I've been watching this since 6 AM EST and I just don't see what else they could have done.
sirius black

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with Titus on this. Doesn't matter who does it (military, police, FBI, etc.) the act is still the same.
Its the precedence that bothers me. I know I can be labled a conspiracy nut for this but FEMA has provisions in case of a 'national' emergency to suspend basic constitutional rights on the masses on the area affected.

Its 'American' not to trust the government with that kind of power. Eventually someone corrupts it. Its the one person who will that is the worry and he will have precedence on his or her side to do it.

I'm not law enforcement and we are asked to 'trust' their judgment and I am at the disadvantage of not knowing the details but I think we have the technological (cctv, etc) and the policing skills to do this without shutting down cities.
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

Shutting down an entire city because of one potential suicide bomber is *literally* letting the terrorists win.

That's true. $333 million down the drain.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
stilicho25 wrote:

I can see the argument, but I still think they're making the right move. Boston is behind it, all levels of government seem to be working in lock-step, and they have the guy cornered. Moreover, his brother had a suicide vest on when he was killed, so there was a serious risk to letting him mix with the public. I've been watching this since 6 AM EST and I just don't see what else they could have done.

Exactly.

As I was saying, had the US president been a Republican our resident right-wing American wingnuts would be singing a different song.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

That's true. $333 million down the drain.

Who's to blame for that? The government or the terrorists? Would you have prefered the police did nothing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: