Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Bombing Suspects at MIT. Firefight. Identified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

Socratic questioning = "who is to blame"?

Short attention span, eh? Read a little further down the line.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israelis wonder what Massachusetts was thinking.

Quote:
In an article posted on his newspaper�s Web site on Friday titled �What message is the U.S. sending with a Boston lockdown?,� Katz contrasted his experience at home with what he was witnessing in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Quote:
There was no lockdown in Israel and there was no order by the mayor to seek shelter. Instead, people were out in the streets, filling up coffee shops right next to the one that had been bombed or standing at bus stops waiting for the next bus from the same line that had just exploded. This has always impressed me as a sign of true resilience, of a refusal to allow terrorism to change our way of life.

I am not judging the people of Boston and their leaders and yes, there is something to be said about being safe than sorry. But, I wonder about the long-term strategic ramifications and if this won�t be viewed as a near-surrender to terrorism.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, most of the brave talk is by people (especially cowardly politician types) who themselves would flee at the first sign of danger

...There was no shortage of individual acts of bravery in Boston, and the message to terrorists is that they will be identified, hunted down, and called "losers".

Unfortunately, there are also many ways for determined enemies to bring modern cities virtually to a halt (e.g., computer hackers, small drones, biological/chemical weapons...) In this case it was probably better to voluntarily close down and focus all resources on finding the attackers as soon as possible.

Moreover,I think it would have been very reckless to let the Red Sox game and other crowded events go on when at least one mad bomber was still on the loose. Police resources would also have had to be diverted to protect those big targets.
diver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Israelis wonder what Massachusetts was thinking.

Quote:
In an article posted on his newspaper�s Web site on Friday titled �What message is the U.S. sending with a Boston lockdown?,� Katz contrasted his experience at home with what he was witnessing in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Quote:
There was no lockdown in Israel and there was no order by the mayor to seek shelter. Instead, people were out in the streets, filling up coffee shops right next to the one that had been bombed or standing at bus stops waiting for the next bus from the same line that had just exploded. This has always impressed me as a sign of true resilience, of a refusal to allow terrorism to change our way of life.

I am not judging the people of Boston and their leaders and yes, there is something to be said about being safe than sorry. But, I wonder about the long-term strategic ramifications and if this won�t be viewed as a near-surrender to terrorism.

While the press has been calling it a "lockdown" it actually wasn't. People were ASKED, not ORDERED, to stay in their homes. They complied. Katz himself says that he walked around outside during the "lockdown" and he was not arrested.

Every situation is different, so it is hard to compare Boston to what happened in Israel. Which event? When?

My take on bombings in Israel is that they are usually suicide bombers - so, once the blow up, that's pretty much it, isn't it?

In Boston, you had two guys go undergound. When they surfaced, the executed a police officer, threw explosives at the police during a high speed chase through a residential neighborhood, and one of them was wearing an explosive vest. They were obviously up to no good, there was one on the loose and they had a general idea where he was and that he was a current, ongoing threat. I think it was a good idea to ask people to stay int heir homes.

I think another difference might be cultural. Since Israel has mandatory military service, the Israelis consider every Israeli citizen a front-line soldier. They are probably also more aware of their surroundings having lived with terrorism longer.

http://nation.time.com/2013/04/19/was-boston-actually-on-lockdown/
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect has throat injury and - at least for now - unable to talk ... http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/20/us/boston-attack/index.html
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBI hunting 12-strong terrorist �sleeper cell� linked to brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being of Armenian descent myself, I can report that many American-Armenians are upset that the suspects' (much praised) uncle made reference to a possible Armenian convert to Islam who he thought may have mentored at least one of the brothers. Inasmuch as modern Armenians are historically linked to Christians who staunchly resisted forced conversion to Islam, the uncle's claim seems dubious... http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_display.cfm/blog_id/48627

It's also still questionable whether the surviving suspect will ever be able to talk again .... http://news.yahoo.com/boston-mayor-says-authorities-may-never-bomb-suspect-151354409.html
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questionable rumor that brothers were double-agents ... http://news.yahoo.com/rumor-check-tsarnaev-brothers-double-agents-jihadi-networks-235429954.html
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
Being of Armenian descent myself...

What a coincidence. So's one of my all time favorite celebrities!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EfvtCCyPc

Wink
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all us Armenians are great singers ... http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bd119a84c
bigverne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More liberal handwringing nonsense from The New York Times over the Boston bombings:

THE alleged involvement of two ethnic Chechen brothers in the deadly attack at the Boston Marathon should prompt Americans to reflect on whether we do an adequate job assimilating immigrants who arrive in the United States as children or teenagers

That's not what it should prompt Americans to reflect on. It should prompt them to ask, 'How do we benefit by allowing into our country hundreds of thousands of people from war-torn, corrupt, extremist, failed states like Chechnya, Somalia, Haiti, Guatemala etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/opinion/immigrant-kids-adrift.html?hpw&_r=0
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of home-grown corruption, war-mongering/profiteering, extremism, and failure right here in the U.S.A (and that's only in Congress...)
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
Yeah, all us Armenians are great singers ... http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/bd119a84c

I wanted you to think I meant the infamous big-assed daughter of OJ's lawyer...wanted you to cringe a little before clicking on the link before finding that it's a video of one of the best song writers and performers of the 20th century.

But, instead...Joke's on me. Laughing
bigverne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
There's plenty of home-grown corruption, war-mongering/profiteering, extremism, and failure right here in the U.S.A (and that's only in Congress...)

All the more reason not to import more of it from abroad.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Rteacher wrote:

All the more reason not to import more of it from abroad.

Considering the simple fact that only 3.08 million people are "native" Americans that would mean that the other 320 odd million are all imports.

The issue is not immigration or even the screening of immigrants.

The issue is (or should be) US government policy (foreign and domestic) painting big targets on everything American and causing enough anger that people (American and foreign), whether rightly or wrongly, are willing to take it out on Americans and American interests in an effort to strike back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: