Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I don't usually comment in such a vein but yes, my experiences in the past gave me the impression that Korean women do not like guys with large muscles, and instead prefer fit, lean, and athletic. It's of course generalizing a fair bit, as 12ax7 has attested, but it does strike me as a thing.

Depends how you define "large muscles". If you mean like those HGH monsters, then few people like that look.

I'm both lean and muscular (last I checked, 60% of my body weight was skeletal muscle and less than 10% was fat) and I get compliments from women and men (in a non-gay sort of way...not that there would be anything wrong with that).
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
It's a clear cut fact that eating more will make you bigger, not lifting heavy.

The quality of the bigger might be in question though.

Combine those two, and you're usually on the "right" path.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
fermentation wrote:
It's a clear cut fact that eating more will make you bigger, not lifting heavy.

The quality of the bigger might be in question though.

Combine those two, and you're usually on the "right" path.

Most people think lifting (especially heavy lifting) will automatically lead to being bigger although that's simply not true.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
I don't usually comment in such a vein but yes, my experiences in the past gave me the impression that Korean women do not like guys with large muscles, and instead prefer fit, lean, and athletic. It's of course generalizing a fair bit, as 12ax7 has attested, but it does strike me as a thing.

Depends how you define "large muscles". If you mean like those HGH monsters, then few people like that look.

I'm both lean and muscular (last I checked, 60% of my body weight was skeletal muscle and less than 10% was fat) and I get compliments from women and men (in a non-gay sort of way...not that there would be anything wrong with that).

I guess I could rephrase myself, I get the feeling based on my own conversations that a relatively significant proportion of Korean women equate the very idea of lifting weights with HGH monsters, and thus overreact to the idea.

So basically agreeing with KimchiNinja, some have unrealistic expectations of weight-lifting.

*explodes into Lou Ferrigno, buys non-skinny-guy jeans*
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit 101 kgs this week... and am pretty satisfied with the progress. Heading on a trip though.. so ya never know how that'll mess with gains and such.

What do ya figure - keep up with creatine and the like even if not training for a few weeks?
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I hit 101 kgs this week... and am pretty satisfied with the progress. Heading on a trip though.. so ya never know how that'll mess with gains and such.

What do ya figure - keep up with creatine and the like even if not training for a few weeks?

What's your body fat percentage? If it's anything over 12%, you might want to start thinking about stopping bulking up.

I stopped using creatine a few weeks ago. I'm not gaining as fast, but my body fat % is where I want it to be.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped from about 22 to around 20%.

But that's only an estimation... the readout from the BMI machines at the gym.

I have no issues with my body fat.. never something that's worried me. So long as I can see my abs, I'm cool - but I have VERY BIG ABS.

It's interesting - some people worry about being lean... I've always struggled more with size. Getting lean/losing weight, seems to come easy for me if I ever try.

If possible, I'm kind of hoping to hit 240-250lbs this year - but that's a hard target to shoot for. It may sound too typical, but honestly, this is about where I'm shooting for.
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard, very visible abs = around 12%

Then again, some people are genetic freaks and their abs are just always there regardless of size. aka every black guy I know Laughing
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

Then again, some people are genetic freaks and their abs are just always there regardless of size. aka every black guy I know Laughing

Yeah, I've had visible abs and obliques at over 20% BF. But like ya say, everyone is different - some just have the genetics for abs.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
highstreet wrote:

Yeah, I've had visible abs and obliques at over 20% BF. But like ya say, everyone is different - some just have the genetics for abs.

Same here. Still visible when at was at about 15-17% fat. To think my mom was worried I was too skinny and brought me to see a doctor when I was a kid because my obliques were pronounced. Sure, I was skinny, but she mistakenly thought it was my ribs showing through.

I'd like to keep my weight down because I'm at a size were Korean size 105 fits snugly...and I like my clothes. Size 110 just fits weird on me (seems to be made for either fat guys or much taller people than me). Not interested in having more than a 33 inch waist, either (I'm at about 32 right now).
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the Philippines, moderately tan. Cool

I'm reading Vince Gironda's book. This guy was brilliant, really makes a person wonder how a mortal could be that smart. Dude was way ahead of his time.

Anyone ever had 36 eggs a day for 4 weeks? LOL. One of his more controversial methods was apparently 12 raw eggs + 12oz cream + protein powder. Make 1-3 of these concoctions, drink throughout the day. Vince said it gave a hormonal boost, almost like steroids. Sounds sort of like GOMAD.

Did 18 eggs yesterday. I swear I felt something. Could have done more, just didn't need the calories...
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't think I'd eat one raw egg, much less dozens of them. With my luck, I'd get nailed with a dozen virus'.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April results are in and I'm pumped up...

"InBody" Composition Analysis:
Dec - 190lb, 30% bodyfat, .94 hip/waist ratio (Mid-Dec)
Jan - 173lb, 20% bodyfat, .90 hip/waist ratio, +7.3lb lean mass
Feb - 174lb, 19% bodyfat, .89 hip/waist ratio, +2.2lb lean mass
Mar - 172lb, 17% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +0.4lb lean mass
Apr - 170lb, 16% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +1.1lb lean mass

YTD - 28lbs fat lost, 11lbs lean mass gained, 1lb "mineral" lost, net change lost 18lbs. *

* Based on electrode analysis using an InBody machine, it is supposed to be one of the more accurate methods available...and I'm not going to argue with results since they pass the "makes sense" test. The only number I was shocked at was the +7lb lean mass in 6wks when switching to "paleolithic" nutrition. Breaking it down the machine said intra/extra-celular water stayed roughly the same and "protein" category increased 8lbs. So all I can guess is that skeleton/muscle jumped with the sudden massive boost in quality protein intake.

After that initial jump seem to be averaging 1lb muscle per month, plus some body fat reduction. Goal is to hit 12% BF and then hammer away on strength training, so lots more work in 2013.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yes I was a walking lard-ball from drinking CASS non-stop for two years. Please stop laughing and pointing. Embarassed

But I've mostly corrected the situation dammit! Smile
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Deskwarming today, read through most of the thread. I too have been getting serious about lifting this year. Been at my gym for the last 2 months, one and a half doing this program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo

It's basically SL or SS with some extra isolations. Loving it so far, lost about 30lbs, but more than that since I've put on a bit of muscle too. I'd definitely recommend this program to any noob like me who's just starting out. Also, that guys channel has a ton of info about nutrition and lifting, it's helped me out a bunch.

The 2 lifts I'm still somewhat unsure about are deads and squats. I don't have any pain the day after a workout, but I have a niggling suspicion that my form is off somehow.

With deadlifts I feel like I'm bending down too much. I try to make sure not to round my back, but it's tough for me to get in the starting position.

My squats just somehow don't feel right. Having trouble figuring out how far down my butt should come and how far forward my shoulders should be at the bottom.

I've watched a bunch of videos for each exercise, but it's tough to see what I'm doing while I'm doing it, and I don't have a smart phone or camera or anything to capture a video. Also, no one in my gym does squats or deads for the most part, so I can't get advice there. (Except for the one dude who keeps insisting I'm doing my deads wrong, then shows me romanian deadlifts. What is it with Koreans and romanian DL's??)

Any tips or thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 36 of 51

Jump to: