Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Keller was the executive editor of the NYT during the run up to the Iraq war. The editorial position of the NYT under his reign supported the war in Iraq because, as he has said to Phil Weiss, he thought it would be good for Israel. He is not an Episcopalian. .

Bill Keller now says that the USA should go to war with Syria.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/opinion/keller-syria-is-not-iraq.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&
Quote:
Syria Is Not Iraq

Bill Keller only cares about Israel. Everything he says has to be associated in ones mind with "ethnocentric supremacist liar".
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:
You were right in the beginning: it is strictly economics.

Come on. How? You think Iran is about "economics".

How? There was no benefit to getting involved in Rwanda and Darfur. There was in Libya. Not sure what Iran has to do with anything I said.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

How? There was no benefit to getting involved in Rwanda and Darfur. There was in Libya. Not sure what Iran has to do with anything I said.

What was the benefit of Libya? Iraq? You're not paying attention.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

I think he just disagrees.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

yeah, cause he's not paying attention.

It's a conditioned response. "conflict in middle east" = oil. Though America has never ever ever made any attempt what so ever to get the oil, and anyway it would be cheaper to buy.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

yeah, cause he's not paying attention.

It's a conditioned response. "conflict in middle east" = oil. Though America has never ever ever made any attempt what so ever to get the oil, and anyway it would be cheaper to buy.

Ha, you have developed your own conditioned response. I also think you're a bit paranoid.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Bucheon Bum. Pay more attention to foreign affairs.

BTW, what is it you do for a living?
Titus

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does he do for a living?

Ok, explain to me how Syria is about "economics".
Titus

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_SYRIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-10-14-29-37
Quote:
Israel has expressed concern over what Israeli officials say is an imminent sale of advanced Russian anti-aircraft missiles to Syria. Israel is worried that advanced Russian weapons could reach militant groups hostile to the Jewish state, such as Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Israel has asked Russia to stop supplying "game-changing" weapons to Assad. The Israeli official would not say if the weapons would be discussed. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the Netanyahu-Putin meeting has not yet been announced officially.

Raimondo says Syria is our Spain.

Quote:
a proxy war prefiguring a much larger conflict, with the US, Israel, Turkey, Jordan, and Al Qaeda (in the guise of the �Al Nusra Front�) versus the Syrian Ba�athists, Hezbollah, and � standing behind them � Iran.

...and Russia.

This is why neo-cons foam at the mouth in their hysterical hatred of Putin. He's off-script.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
What does he do for a living?

Ok, explain to me how Syria is about "economics".

Maybe he doesn't want to share. Point is, he's paying attention.

Syria isn't exclusively about economics. Ideology, and yes, Israel each plays a role there. Humanitarianism is a concern, but I think BB wants to say that humanitarianism alone does not move the U.S.

Iraq was all four, but predominantly it was about oil. It was about opening the oil fields and lowering the market cost of oil. Thus, that most the oil goes to China does help, insofar as Chinese oil demand increases oil prices and Iraq oil supply decreases oil prices worldwide. Iraq was about intimidating the Saudis, because occupying Mecca and Medina was off the table. Iraq was about neo-con ideology and it was about humanitarianism (the Kurds being gassed). And yes, Iraq was about Israel.

Titus wrote:
This is why neo-cons foam at the mouth in their hysterical hatred of Putin. He's off-script.

Is that why you love Putin so?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syria denies link to Turkey car bombs: Syrian minister denies Turkish claim that groups backing Assad were behind twin blasts that killed at least 46 people.

Turkey has accused groups supporting the Syrian regime of carrying out two car bombings that killed at least 46 people and injured dozens in a border town, the interior minister said.

The blast occurred on Saturday in a crowded area of the small town of Reyhanli in the southern Turkish province of Hatay, just a few kilometres from the main border crossing into Syria.

The interior minister told Al Jazeera that 55 people had been hospitalised, including seven Syrians. The majority of the victims were Turkish nationals...He said those behind the bombings were believed also to have been behind an attack on the Syrian coastal town of Banias a week ago, in which fighters backing Assad were reported to have killed at least 62 people.

The Syrian information minister, however, denied responsibility for Turkey blasts on Sunday, saying that Turkey was indirectly responsible.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/05/2013511121047931174.html

Maybe the solution to all this mess is to let Turkey re-establish the Ottoman Empire.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want to share. Point is, he's paying attention.

I remember now. He's a bureaucrat. Makes his snarky comment fit. He's gone native.

Quote:
Syria isn't exclusively about economics

It isn't at all, in any way, what so ever, about economics.

Quote:
Iraq was all four, but predominantly it was about oil.

No. AIPAC got what it wanted. It is what it is.

Quote:
Is that why you love Putin so?

Yes.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

Syria isn't exclusively about economics. Ideology, and yes, Israel each plays a role there. Humanitarianism is a concern, but I think BB wants to say that humanitarianism alone does not move the U.S.

Yes, that basically sums it up. I guess I should said humanitarianism alone does not move the US, there have to be additional reasons. I do not think US actions (or inaction) in Syria is connected much- if at all- to economics.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rebels:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/467208/20130513/syria-abu-sakkar-bites-heart-assad.htm
Quote:
Human Rights Watch has confirmed that a man shown in a video cutting the heart out of a soldier's body and biting it was a Syrian rebel commander.

According to Peter Bouckaert of the New York-based human rights watchdog, the man is Abu Sakkar, a founder of the rebel Farouq Brigade.

I was wondering who the Farouq Birgade was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farouq_Brigades

Quote:
The Farouq Brigades (Arabic: كتائب الفاروق‎) are one of the largest and well-known units of the Free Syrian Army which is involved in the Syrian Civil War.

The LA Times says these guys should have been our point-men:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/07/world/la-fg-us-syria-20121208/2

Quote:
U.S. officials have limited their ties to the rebels since the beginning of the conflict, when they urged demonstrators not to turn to arms.

Though they are in regular contact with military councils � provincial bodies that try to coordinate the patchwork of militias � relationships are not strong with individual groups, said Andrew Tabler, a leading Syria expert at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. The United States could have built a valuable relationship, for example, with Al Farouq brigade, a nationalist but mainline group, he said.

Though the new coalition has been praised in the West for its inclusiveness and leadership, diplomats acknowledge that it's not clear whether the umbrella group would be strong enough to issue orders to the militias that could hold the most power in a post-Assad Syria.

etc. Maybe best to stay out.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the syrian government are using chemical weapons now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22549861
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 12 of 29

Jump to: