Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
Hey guys!

Deskwarming today, read through most of the thread. I too have been getting serious about lifting this year. Been at my gym for the last 2 months, one and a half doing this program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo

It's basically SL or SS with some extra isolations. Loving it so far, lost about 30lbs, but more than that since I've put on a bit of muscle too. I'd definitely recommend this program to any noob like me who's just starting out. Also, that guys channel has a ton of info about nutrition and lifting, it's helped me out a bunch.

The 2 lifts I'm still somewhat unsure about are deads and squats. I don't have any pain the day after a workout, but I have a niggling suspicion that my form is off somehow.

With deadlifts I feel like I'm bending down too much. I try to make sure not to round my back, but it's tough for me to get in the starting position.

My squats just somehow don't feel right. Having trouble figuring out how far down my butt should come and how far forward my shoulders should be at the bottom.

I've watched a bunch of videos for each exercise, but it's tough to see what I'm doing while I'm doing it, and I don't have a smart phone or camera or anything to capture a video. Also, no one in my gym does squats or deads for the most part, so I can't get advice there. (Except for the one dude who keeps insisting I'm doing my deads wrong, then shows me romanian deadlifts. What is it with Koreans and romanian DL's??)

Any tips or thoughts?

Go to piratebay and download the starting strength dvd and pdf by Mark Ripptoe. Or just youtube it.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've watched those and they definitely helped. Still feels like something's a little off though.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Only advice would be to train with someone who knows - at least for a few times.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going old school for May; steak and eggs, liver, raw green vegi, 8x8 sets, short rest periods.

Expectation for month end results -- lean awesomeness.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip to Canada. Trained with an old training partner that's getting ready for a (natural) pro show - was pretty inspiring.

Also realized that a lot of my sore joints are shared by my buds - made me feel a bit better about it.

Brought back some big tubs of cell-tech. Let's see how they work.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started taking Orange Triad as my multi-V and I don't think I can ever go back to anything else. It is on the pricey side, and the tablets are enormous, but so worth it. I don't go through any of the normal soreness I usually face the days following a tough squatting session.
highstreet

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand fish oil you guys take? You buy it locally? Mine is about to run out.

Also, any gym recommendations? My membership is about to run out, not sure if I want to re-up or move elsewhere. I like my gym, but, it's a little sparse.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
What brand fish oil you guys take? You buy it locally? Mine is about to run out.

Also, any gym recommendations? My membership is about to run out, not sure if I want to re-up or move elsewhere. I like my gym, but, it's a little sparse.

this is what i use for fish oil now:

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil-Lemon-16-9-fl-oz-500-ml/2796

and i'm planning on switching to these:

http://www.iherb.com/Controlled-Labs-Orange-OxiMega-Fish-Oil-Citrus-Flavor-120-Softgels/24666

it's a lot cheaper in the States, now that I'm back. So it's worth gettin the softgels, compared to the liquid one, but in Korea, it's hard to beat the liquid fish oil.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm back to ask more noob Q's!

I'm feelin a bit better with my squats now, but my deads still don't feel right. I'm gonna cut the weight by 30% at the gym today, maybe I went up too fast and that's causing my form to break down.

But if I can't get this figured out, I wanna take deads out of my program. I'm not doing them very often, just one set of 5 at the heaviest I can manage, every second workout.

I was thinking 2 sets of pullups, then 2 sets of weighted hyper-extensions. How does that sound? Any exercises that will replace my deads more effectively?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of variations of deads you may want to consider. Sumo style, stiff legged... play around with it as every lift does not perfectly suit every body.

The only deads I do nowadays are a cable deadlift for hamstrings. I don't enjoy deads, never really have. For lower back I'll do roman chair work instead.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My workouts are going pretty good. I lifted my old pre-illness max on the deadlift last week. I hadn't deadlifted so much in a long time.

I've reached my target weight (up 10kg from 2-3 months ago), but I'm bulking up so easily since I've switched from a soy protein powder to whey protein powder last week that I'm going to aim for my old max weight. I figure at the rate I'm going I should be back to that weight by the end of June.

I also got a dip belt to add more weight to my chin-ups and dips. They didn't have one at my gym, so I ordered one of my own. I'll be trying it out later tonight.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...Just came back from the gym. I can't believe I hadn't invested in a dip belt until now. I used it today for chinups...Best back workout I've had in a long time. The whey protein is really making a difference, too. I'm up 3kg from a week ago and my max weight for the deadlift went up 10% in the same amount of time (I even managed a single rep at 20% more than last week, so that's the weight I'll be aiming for next week). Looks like I won't be buying the soy (mostly) and whey protein blend again.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard a lot of ppl have issues with soy. Glad to hear you've got your nutrition better sorted, man.
crisdean

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
Any exercises that will replace my deads more effectively?

I always liked good-mornings
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not replacements for deadlifts. They can be used for assistance. Nothing can replace dead lifts.

This video series helped me a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjuX-GRby8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 37 of 51

Jump to: