Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Citizenship vs. Permanent Residency
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Korean Citizenship vs. Permanent Residency Reply with quote

I saw another thread about Korean Citizenship and didn't want to mess that thread up. So here's my question about it, not sure if anyone will answer.
====================

If one has an F visa, what is the benefit of citizenship (except voting)?

Are you exempt from drug testing or home country criminal background checks?

I can't think of any problem that relates to my visa.
tob55

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Citizenship vs. Permanent Residency Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
I saw another thread about Korean Citizenship and didn't want to mess that thread up. So here's my question about it, not sure if anyone will answer.
====================

If one has an F visa, what is the benefit of citizenship (except voting)?

Are you exempt from drug testing or home country criminal background checks?

I can't think of any problem that relates to my visa.

I actually did answer your questions over in the other thread, because they were good questions. So if you want to read the answer over there that is okay, but the short answers are

1. no more drug related testing typically required of foreign workers, including F-visa holders in most cases
2. no more criminal background checks from the home country as once you are a Korean citizen you are in their system and they check that one for any criminal activity.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^thanks for the answer (in both places too). Sorry I messed up your thread.
tob55

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worry, at least we have a couple of threads going and the mods can merge it if they want.
FDNY

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BIG plus on the side of Korean citizenship would be if you were ever in a terrorist attack abroad. The terrorists who attacked that hotel in Mumbai asked all the guests for their passports. Anyone having UK or US citizenship was summarily executed on the spot.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of services and benefits available only to citizens. we could probably go on for pages going over all the things that you would gain access to/be easier to do with citizenship.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
A BIG plus on the side of Korean citizenship would be if you were ever in a terrorist attack abroad. The terrorists who attacked that hotel in Mumbai asked all the guests for their passports. Anyone having UK or US citizenship was summarily executed on the spot.

LOL!

I'm sure if a white guy with an American accent holds up a Korean passport, the terrorists are going to say:

"Oh, that's so cool, do know you Hanna from the Brown Eyed girls. She's my favorite!"

It'll be more like an AK47 bullet to the head.

I think getting a Korean passport would just be stupid if you're white.

If you're white, any time you pass though immigration outside of Korea they're going to think you're some kind of weirdo, and you'll get hassled.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're white, any time you pass though immigration outside of Korea they're going to think you're some kind of weirdo, and you'll get hassled.

If you take citizenship you need to have one to exit/enter immigration in this country. You maintain your other citizenship(s) and use whichever passport you want when abroad.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you take citizenship you need to have one to exit/enter immigration in this country. You maintain your other citizenship(s) and use whichever passport you want when abroad.

But if you take both and they look at them, they might think you're a spy!
tob55

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

But if you take both and they look at them, they might think you're a spy!

If you take both, you only need to show the Korean passport when leaving and entering, and use your other country passport when entering or leaving your home country. There is no reason for the boarder patrol people at the airport to view your second passport, unless you are wanted for something, then they will ceertainly check all of your things. Several of my friends who have dual citizenship never faced the type of hassle mentioned.

As for using which ever passport you want it applies ONLY to other countries besides your home country or Korea. No reason to use your Korean passport to enter your home country since you have a home country passport. However, if you travel to other areas then using your Korean or home country passport is your choice. I suppose for traveling in Asia it would be better to just use the Korean passport rather than being hassled for using your home country passport. Depends on the country.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easier to get a visa to travel to China with the Korean passport than your foreign passport.
tob55

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
It would be easier to get a visa to travel to China with the Korean passport than your foreign passport.

Easier and much less expensive. The Korean travel visa is less than 1/3 of the cost than that of a U.S. citizen visa going to China. Great and it takes only one day for the K-visa versus up to 2 weeks for the U.S. version. Friend told me this when I was thinking about travel in China.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:
alongway wrote:

Easier and much less expensive. The Korean travel visa is less than 1/3 of the cost than that of a U.S. citizen visa going to China. Great and it takes only one day for the K-visa versus up to 2 weeks for the U.S. version. Friend told me this when I was thinking about travel in China.

I hear Americans can get a one-year, multi-entry tourist visa to China for around 140 dollars, but NOT from Korea. Better to get it either in Hong Kong or the U.S.
furtakk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about loans?

Is it hard to qualify for a decent sized loan on an F5?
tob55

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furtakk wrote:
How about loans?

Is it hard to qualify for a decent sized loan on an F5?

On the F5 you CAN qualify for a larger loan, but it is tied directly to your credit line with the bank. Once upon a time I was told by Nonghyup bank that I could only get a marginal sized loan because of my credit history with the bank. They suggested that I increase my activity with them in order to qualify for something significantly larger.

As concerning citizenship, the same qualification rules do not apply. I know this because my wife in the past has been able to secure a loan of more than 50 mil KRW, and she hasn't worked out of the home for any significant amount of time since we married 9 years ago. So, I am not 100% sure, but I would guess that the rules which apply to foreigners on the F5 are still much different than the rules which apply to Korean citizens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: