Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China Southern airlines via Kayak inconsistencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNOTOSEOUL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: China Southern airlines via Kayak inconsistencies Reply with quote

Has anybody had success or failure using Kayak to book a flight with China Southern (CZ)?

I booked a flight with Kayak and received an email with a ticket number from Kayak.

I have not received any confirmation or eticket from CZ airline.

When I try to verify my flight on CZ's website it states "The inquired passenger record does not exist or the ticket is not issued yet."

Also, my bank statement says there is an authorized ' Temporary merchant authorization Amount may change - waiting for final amount from merchant' for "AMERICAN AIRLI CZ SAN ANTONIO TX"

Does this seem odd?

Has anyone had problems with Kayak and China Southern?

I am worried there has been a problem between the companies.

I have called the customer service of Kayak and the Indian call center staff told me my ticket number again. they couldn't respond to any questions.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had success. A couple of years ago I booked a Seoul, Nepal, Australia trip and it worked fine. If I remember correctly it did take a little longer than what I'm used to when booking through Orbitz, for example. Hopefully you won't have any issues but it does take a little longer for some reason.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no problems with them. the guangzhou airport is pretty awful for such a highly trafficked airport though.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
i had no problems with them. the guangzhou airport is pretty awful for such a highly trafficked airport though.

This was my biggest problem of the whole trip. It's pretty much why I avoid that airline now.
waynehead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any details on the airport? I'm considering a trip that might route me through there.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynehead wrote:
Any details on the airport? I'm considering a trip that might route me through there.

Well if I remember correctly there were only 2 restaurants and their opening and closing times weren't really on par with an international airport that has planes coming and going at all times. I had a connecting flight in which I landed at 5 or so in the a.m. My next flight was at 7 or something like that and there was nobody working the immigration point you have to go through, even for connecting flights. So after waiting for an immigration person, then we had to wait for security personnel to man the xray machine and metal detector. Then after getting through all that, finding that the restaurants aren't even open. Oh yeah, the restaurants did open while I was there but they only took RMB or dollars, neither of which I had, and there was no place to get either. I think that about sums it up my experience.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynehead wrote:

well. first is the fact you have to fly chinese metal. second is that the airport looks new but feels like it was designed and built a century ago by someone who designed airports as a hobby.

enjoy the convenient and abundant bathrooms in incheon? forget about it there. also, nothing to eat, do, etc.

their lounges are pretty sub par too with wifi that didn't work and for long layovers which china southern LOVES to do, that's a big no-no.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
waynehead wrote:

Well if I remember correctly there were only 2 restaurants and their opening and closing times weren't really on par with an international airport that has planes coming and going at all times. ..... Then after getting through all that, finding that the restaurants aren't even open.

Never been to or via Guangzhou and this thread isn't encouraging me to ever do so.

However, in all fairness, ICN's halo very much starts to slip when you apply some of the above criteria.

Like many people living in Korea, I've never internationally transferred at ICN, only started or finished my journey there. But I have taken a few late evening flights and been surprised how little is open at that time for an airport officially ranked so highly. It's a long while since I took an early morning flight from ICN, but I definitely recall not much being open airside before 7am the last time I did.

Incidentally, I've noticed that quite a few China Southern search results, particularly for flights to Europe, fairly often include codeshare flights with other Sky Team airlines. So it might be Korean Air to Guangzhou and/or KLM from there on to Europe. Just something to bear in mind if a Chinese airline puts you off, although everyone I've known who flew China Southern said they were ok.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-class rambler wrote:
actionjackson wrote:
waynehead wrote:

Well if I remember correctly there were only 2 restaurants and their opening and closing times weren't really on par with an international airport that has planes coming and going at all times. ..... Then after getting through all that, finding that the restaurants aren't even open.

Never been to or via Guangzhou and this thread isn't encouraging me to ever do so.

However, in all fairness, ICN's halo very much starts to slip when you apply some of the above criteria.

Like many people living in Korea, I've never internationally transferred at ICN, only started or finished my journey there. But I have taken a few late evening flights and been surprised how little is open at that time for an airport officially ranked so highly. It's a long while since I took an early morning flight from ICN, but I definitely recall not much being open airside before 7am the last time I did.

Incidentally, I've noticed that quite a few China Southern search results, particularly for flights to Europe, fairly often include codeshare flights with other Sky Team airlines. So it might be Korean Air to Guangzhou and/or KLM from there on to Europe. Just something to bear in mind if a Chinese airline puts you off, although everyone I've known who flew China Southern said they were ok.

In all fairness, I was just comparing it to other airports in general. Though now that I really think about I'm not particularly fond of the airports in Manilla or Jakarta either.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:

In all fairness, I was just comparing it to other airports in general. Though now that I really think about I'm not particularly fond of the airports in Manilla or Jakarta either.

Sure, I wasn't meaning at all to suggest there was anything wrong with what you were saying. It just struck me that those were criticisms that could definitely apply to Incheon, in spite of its fairly squeaky clean reputation generally. ICN does do a hell of a lot very well, but I'd say late night/early morning range of services is something it could do much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: