Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F2-1 / E2 Question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: F2-1 / E2 Question. Reply with quote

Sorry.

i know this has been covered and I have checked the links, but something isn't clear to me.

I will change to an F2-1 , probably in June, which puts me half way through my E2 contracted year.

Am I right in thinking that the E2 becomes my secondary visa and I can walk from that job at anytime without any repurcussions, apart from maybe the financial ones - severance and flight etc.?

The school doesn't own me anymore if it is my secondary visa does it? If I tell immigration about it, then I am clear and as long as the school have been warned and told, then there is nothing that they can do to stop me?

Please can someone with experience of this let me know my position.

Also, with an F2-1, can I go to any job as long as immigration are told?

Example - working part-time in a hakwon, a few hours a day. If they are told, is this legal?

Sorry. I know this is a semi-regular question on here, but as I say, I can't seem to fathom out the exact 'cans' and 'can'ts'.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the E2 is secondary to the F2. You may have to change your E2 though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toby

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Yes, the E2 is secondary to the F2. You may have to change your E2 though.

Change it to what?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change it so it has your company as your place of work only
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaykimf

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems to me that changing to an F2 visa would have no effect on your existing employment contract. Even with the E2 visa, you can walk away any time you want--the problem being of course you might not be able to get another job without a release letter. I don't see why it would be any different with an F2. The F2 doesn't give you the power to nullify legal contracts.
I think that someone previously posted that they had quit and then got a new job without a release letter and without any problems, so maybe its possible. On the other hand, I think its at least possible that a diferent Immigration office or officer might take a harder line and say no. As I understand it they have to approve and not merely be told of your new job. Check with your immigration office before you burn your bridges.

If your immigration office doesn't have any problem with you quitting and then getting a new job, then part time work at a hagwon shouldn't be a problem. I only work 80 minutes a day on my f2 visa. (and by the way, I don't have a secondary E2 visa--just permission to engage in activities not covered by status of sojourn.) Anyway , good luck,
bellum99

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: i have done it Reply with quote

I have quit a job and then just took another job a few days later and got a new E2 visa. I have the F2-1 visa and it was easy. No questions asked.
Toby

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: i have done it Reply with quote

bellum99 wrote:
I have quit a job and then just took another job a few days later and got a new E2 visa. I have the F2-1 visa and it was easy. No questions asked.

So do have more freedom to come and go as you please, as long as you give notice etc.?
skindleshanks

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still under the obligations of your contract--you don't have to leave the country within 14 days of finishing a contract though.

With the F2 you have the wonderful privilege to be unemployed in Korea and live off your spouse--isn't it great?

You can still be cheated just like any Korean or foreign employee.
bellum99

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

If the very worst thing happens then you fly to japan and at the airport tell the immigraion guy that you only want to keep the F2-1 but not the E2 visa. Then you fly right back the next day. Poof the E2 is off the record at immigration (computers are connected).
I also have done this. I did this the first time because I didn't think I could just quit. The second time i just went to immigration and quit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: