Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone flown Turkish Airlines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Has anyone flown Turkish Airlines. Reply with quote

I'm looking at flights to North American in August. The best deals seem to be with Turkish Airlines. They fly to Istanbul then you transfer to your North America flight. Has anyone done this route? What's your opinion of the airline? Will I arrive alive?

Thanks in advance.

Smith
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've taken them. my layover was in istanbul en route to estonia and it was a fine airline with fine service.
Beeyee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good airline, especially in business class.
Lazio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing fancy but decent airline. Food was good as far as plane food goes.
Both of our luggage got lost on the way and it took 3 days until we finally got them but it’s on the ground handling staff at Istanbul I suppose.

Apparently, starting from today they no longer fly between Incheon and Istanbul with their A343s (some of them are 20 years old) but a much younger fleet of A330s and 777s. Although the former ones were completely reconditioned with newish interior, seats and personal screens on economy.

However I only went to Europe. Flying 9 hours to Istanbul and another 10+ hours from there to North America thus jumping 14-15 time zones sounds terrible.
waynehead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew them direct to Istanbul a few years back. As others have said, a decent enough airline, I don't recall any problems, but then I don't recall anything spectacularly good, either.

One thing I remember from that trip, tho, was the smoking lounge in the Istanbul airport. Anyone ever been in there? It's the size of a broom closet and lit like a coffin, I felt like I was in some sort of peripheral circle of hell. Never have I realized I needed to quit smoking more. Course, it hasn't taken yet ...
Deja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not fly BA cross continent, but I did fly most other European airlines. I find TA to be better than Lufthansa, if that means anything to you, which I think is the second best of the EU ones.
But have enough time between flights! They will NOT wait for you, even though Ataturk is their airport.

Nothing bad, nothing exceptional either. Well, you do get an OK (in-flight) meal compared to what I saw cross continent any time. And you do get slippers, eye mask and ear plugs.

If you want a smoking place, go with Aeroflot. There is a 10sq.ft. space designated for smoking at the airport - and you smoke anywhere EXCEPT in those 10 ft. Literally - the entire bloody airport is a smoke room.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew them R/T from DC to Istanbul. I had a row to myself both ways (trip was in October). Some of the best airline food I've had. Friendly service. Beer options suck though (just Efes, the Budweiser of Turkey).

Clean planes, decent in-flight entertainment system.

It was voted best European Airline 1-2 years ago I believe. I'd take it any day over any North American carrier.

Attaturk airport is ok. Big, reasonably clean, functional.

They're also a member of the Star Alliance, so if you are a United, Asiana, or Singapore airlines frequent flyer member, you can get miles too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: