Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with health insurance scam??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freesolo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: help with health insurance scam?? Reply with quote

My employer (hagawon) claims that I am solely responsible for my health insurance premiums. I thought the employer paid half and I paid the rest.

He says since he doesn't take out unemployment or Social Security, (I'm an independent contractor, apparently and not an employee), I make more money than the other teachers here (who do have these deducted from their paycheck and who also have 50,000won taken out for health insurance.)

So my own health insurance is about 110,000 per month. I have already been to the doctor with bronchitis (big surprise, eh), and had to pay 80,000 for office visit and antibiotics-was told by my school I would be reimbursed after getting my insurance card. NOT

Is this a scam??? Any help would be appreciated. If this is a bullshit story I want to get a LOR and find another job. Thanks.
Mankind

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a visa with the hogwan? If the answer is E2 than he owes you med insurance and must pay half.

HAND Smile
freesolo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have a e-2 visa with the hagowon. went to japan last month and everything. have my alien registration card.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see that you have a total of 9 posts... a newbie so I'll go easy.
Your school IS responsible for your health insurance, 1/2 at least. It should also be in your contract. If the owner does not follow the contract, down the road, you'll be screwed on something else. Stand your ground.
freesolo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is partially my fault. I had scanned so many contracts I didnt even look at mine with regard to the health insurance. there is one line that says I am responsible for my coverage. At the time I assumed that meant I was responsible for my HALF of the coverage, not all. I still think this is a dodgy shell game.

Have also found out, if I decide to sign up in 6 months, for example, I must pay retroactively since the date on my E-2 visa. Has anyone encountered this nonsense??
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freesolo wrote,
"I still think this is a dodgy shell game."

You have to be careful in Korea. However, sometimes being careful will not help or protect you.

Health Insurance advice
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=19133

EFL LAW (Koreabridge Forums)
Health insurance is purely a contractual matter. If your employer offers to pay 50% in the contract, and you want 'HI', and you pay the other 50%, then your employer must enroll you in a scheme that is registered with the Korean Ministry of Health..

There is no law saying employers must enroll their employees in any particular fund. If your employer offers to pay 50% into ABC fund, and you want DEF fund, then it's up to you to arrange and pay 100% of the premiums.

If your school has offered something pursuant to your contract, (to pay for certain events) then that is their sum obligation. However, given some Korean school director's ability to argue there way out of their 'apparent' obligations, I would say that what you are covered for is next to nothing. I am not sure if you are paying into this school scheme or not, but you should consider (if you want) going directly to NHIC and getting yourself covered and simply pay the total premium.
Health Insurance, Hagwon has its own insurance policy?
http://www.koreabridge.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3712
justagirl

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, that you have to pay retroactively on your health insurance. So, yes, you'd have to back-pay the 6 months of the first part of your contract if you want it now.

Rephrase: You started your contract in November. Now you want health insurance. You have to pay Nov-May's coverage before you can continue on with the current insurance.

justagirl
Juggertha

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have also found out, if I decide to sign up in 6 months, for example, I must pay retroactively since the date on my E-2 visa. Has anyone encountered this nonsense??

yuppers.. i had to as well
oneiros

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the retroactive fee follow me from visa to visa? Right now, my hogwan is supposedly going to enroll me in a private health insurance fund (which they still haven't done yet, but that's another story.) If I change schools, would I still have to pay retroactive fees? I'm worried now about getting hit with a years worth of fees all at once.
freesolo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses.

My employer didnt offer to either 1) pay for anything or 2) enroll me in ABC and then I refused and said I wanted DEF

He says I am an independent contractor, not an employee. which means no HI, no Social Security, no unemployment taken out of my check. He thinks that's a great deal for me. I think he's making it easier to get rid of me (enrollment at this school has dropped 25% in the last 6 months.)

the other 14 teachers at this school only pay 50% of their premiums. He obviously doesnt value me the same way. I will resign at the end of this month and move on.

any other info or help is appreciated.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Retroactive starts from when you have a new visa/ID card. Now, if you extend your contract with the same school and have not paid into the insurance plan up to that point... that's a lot of money to cough up if you want coverage!
oneiros

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
No. Retroactive starts from when you have a new visa/ID card. Now, if you extend your contract with the same school and have not paid into the insurance plan up to that point... that's a lot of money to cough up if you want coverage!

Since they haven't given me my medical insurance yet, I don't think I'd ever be extending my contract.

Thanks for the help. I'm a lot less worried now.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be paying into pension as well. Its illegal for him not to. He doesn't want to do it because he has to match your contribution as well.

If he gets audited, like my last school did when they weren't paying it, then you'll get charged for the back-pay on that too. I was 6 months in and it was like 500,000 in back contributions.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one has to pay for retroactive insurance, does one get retroactive coverage? Do you get money back for all the doctor visits?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No payment(s)/refund for money already spent. Go figure.
Yet, they want the insurance money rectroactive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: