Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get renewed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: So now... Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:
Andrew Chon...where are you now?

Did the school system change their minds and sign you on again for another year?

Or, did you complete the contract and go somewhere else; and what type of school?

I'd also love to hear from others as well.

Cheers.

Sit Rep: I've been red-carded but I am obliged to complete my contract. It ends on Mar 1st. I've snuck a peak at next batch of candidates they are considering and they are all blonde, female, USA and smoking hot babes!

My principal is very keen on volleyball, so Pamela Anderson would be an ideal candidate.
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Face to face interviews Reply with quote

Why is the school itself doing face to face interviews. I thought the provincial education dept did them, either from someone's home country, or in Korea at the relevent prov office.

Anyway, at least you get to finish up, not get the boot before hand. Just to confirm, is this your first year teaching at the current school?

At least you get severance, and not fired before the end of the contract like in the 11th month, just to be mean, for example.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school gets funding from the townhall, not GEPIK. So they do their own recruiting. This is year 2 for me at this school. Because I was hired 'already in Korea' they didn't have to give me a return plane ticket home. However, for some reason, ,money was set aside for that. But since I detest flying with every fibre of my being, I graciously declined the offer. Problem is they cannot 'not' give me the plane ticket, without generating another mountain of paperwork. Simplest thing to do is for me to take the ticket and blast off to somewhere, but no, it's not happenning.
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Job Security Reply with quote

Sounds like you either have to break the law....or in their eyes suck...exceptionally suck at teaching for superiors and administration to do the mountains of paperwork to fire and replace you.

At least in their eyes....the superiors can either think you are good or bad...and it's not always a true reflection of your teaching.

Teaching evaluations of any kind are subjective anyway. Don't trust them. Only trust the good ones....: -)

Actual answers correct notwithstanding...these only tell you what kind of relationship you had with the superior or teacher. Yes...there is ability....but it is not always reflected in a true manner.

Cheers.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering now if Schwa is ethnically Korean? Nothing wrong with that of course. But it would help explain why he's so keen to paint foreign teachers in such a negative light.

I believe (I may be wrong) that he is/was a co-coordinator for an area and been in Korea for a good number of years - if he's the person I�m thinking of he seemed like a nice enough guy.....

So his quote of saying something along the lines of foreigners normally bring it on themselves is a reasonable thing to say because he normally gets the information from both 'sides of the fence' so to speak.....and then has to help deal with the mess!

And no I�m not going to 'out' said person even if I am right because that wouldn't be a very cool thing to do! Cool
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucas. I make no attempt to disguise myself on these forums. Hundreds of current & former teachers could probably identify me from specifics in my comments & I always post with that in mind.

In terms of this thread I may have overspoken. When I said teachers were "almost always" dismissed for their own shortcomings, I might better have written "more often than not."

I've sat in on supervisors' decisions. I have stood up for some good teachers who were paired with antagonistic co-teachers & helped win them transfers & a second chance. This is not a common occurrence in Gangwondo, but it happens. I try to help out & advocate for teachers who are trying their best.

With current annual reductions in EPIK numbers, school evaluations take on increased importance with regard to renewal. Good attitude is paramount. Good effort tends to be recognized. Anything perceivable as insubordination can sink a teacher.

Almost every teacher overestimates their own effectiveness. I'm guilty of that too. Value is also contingent on being a pleasant presence in the workplace. Theres no concrete formula for that, it comes down to your people skills.

Valued teachers whose positions are eliminated can generally slide into jobs left open by attrition.

The system isnt perfect, but its understandable.
22tea77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:

Valued teachers whose positions are eliminated can generally slide into jobs left open by attrition.

PM Sent
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
In terms of this thread I may have overspoken. When I said teachers were "almost always" dismissed for their own shortcomings, I might better have written "more often than not."

Unfortunately, you are still guilty of 'overspeaking'. Unless you have reliable statistics, compiled by a neutral third party, for the entire peninsula dealing with thousands of Western teachers who have gone through the Korean public school systems (EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE), and you are qualified as a statistician to evaluate those statistics, and you are able to distinquish between the 'said' reason for not renewing a given contract and the actual reason for it, then your generalization (however modified) must still be taken with a large dose of salt.

Again, unless you have super cognitive powers that ther rest of us simply don't possess, you have no way of knowing what you are claiming to know.

I don't think this is an unreasonable conclusion.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what I'm trying to find is recent information over the past year to find out what has happened to non renewed teachers? In the past I had heard of folks switching public schools elsewhere, going to hakwons, switching from EPIK to GEPIK, etc. Anyways, what seems to be the trend nowadays? Is it quick to jump to another boat? I had sort of known based on reading past posts. But really do want to know from most recently non renewed types what you've done.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I've not been teaching because I am recuperating from an illness. I got diagnosed few days after the end of contract. Rather convenient timing for some R&R.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukeirl wrote:
I know one guy who didn't get renewed in Gangwon-do, because his co-teacher didn't like him. The principal did like him and tried to get the rejection overturned but it had already gone through the office.

But that's the only time I've heard it happening. I know alcoholics and the insane have been renewed in Gangwon-do in the past

The co-teacher is usually not your boss. I don't think she decides. The principle is the boss and I'm pretty sure rehiring involves the English Superintendent or Supervisor.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
lukeirl wrote:
I know one guy who didn't get renewed in Gangwon-do, because his co-teacher didn't like him. The principal did like him and tried to get the rejection overturned but it had already gone through the office.

But that's the only time I've heard it happening. I know alcoholics and the insane have been renewed in Gangwon-do in the past

The co-teacher is usually not your boss. I don't think she decides. The principle is the boss and I'm pretty sure rehiring involves the English Superintendent or Supervisor.

It depends on how much work/how lazy the principal is.....

I know of one situation where the P just said to the CT 'do you like teacher X?'

Okay you do the paper work and I'll stamp it.....

Or there is the 'committee style meeting' where the P/head teacher/CT and maybe 1-2 other teachers have a coffee and review your performance. Of course the P has the final say - but a lot has to do with the dynamics of the situation.

Case in point - I know of another situation where the CT (who was older than the P) HATED the GET (rightly so) - P was happy for the GET to stay another year. CT put their foot down and said I cannot be in the room with that person for another year!

P backed down - GET 'quit' their job.

People who think that it is near impossible not to be re-signed are wrong. It does happen but when it does happen it is not widely talked about 'on the record' schools are like families’ - they don’t like to air their dirty laundry in public.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known four people who didn't get renewed despite indicating a desire to stay at their school. Two of them (a couple) were rejected due to what amounts to outright insubordination. One was rejected due to being considered both ineffective in the classroom and rude. The last one initially said he didn't want to renew and then tried to change his mind at the last minute.

young_clinton wrote:

This is more or less correct (well, more precisely, it's usually the vice principal who is technically responsible for the foreign teacher's evaluation), but it's also worth bearing in mind that if you don't interact with your vice principal and/or principal at all, then all they really have to go on is what they're told by the teachers you work with, so while your co-teacher certainly isn't your boss, they're strongly positioned to backstab you if they so choose.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not headline news but maybe of interest in this thread:

Gangwondo announced last week that it has halted its planned reduction of foreign teachers. It figures to sustain current numbers that now reach almost every student in the province. That amounts to quite a number of us. We are making a difference. Good call, POE!

But you still have to be a reasonably good teacher to extend.
Lucas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not headline news but maybe of interest in this thread:

Gangwondo announced last week that it has halted its planned reduction of foreign teachers. It figures to sustain current numbers that now reach almost every student in the province. That amounts to quite a number of us. We are making a difference. Good call, POE!

But you still have to be a reasonably good teacher to extend.

Based on the existing cuts *this year* and only until 2015......

There is no information about the plans after that date.........

What was announced what has been planned for the last 2-3 years, so no breaking news really..........

Post 2015 is when the potential black hole opens up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: