Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moonlighting in curriculum development on the E-2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Moonlighting in curriculum development on the E-2? Reply with quote

I've been approached by a Korean coworker who is being offered a position as a guest lecturer at a university. I believe the university is in the UK, but I'm not certain. She has asked me to help her develop curriculum for her classes because we both share a background in the field she will lecture on. However, I am on the E-2 visa, so I am leery of this sort of thing.

I suggested to her that the university or she pays me internationally via Paypal. Would this be a legal way around the restrictions of the E-2?

Also, what is a fair price for me to ask for this sort of work? So far, she has mentioned a series of fourteen dialogues but no details as to the length or whether or not I'll be expected to do voice-over for them as well.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood saying:" you get the money after you become famous."

I don't know your publishing history but if you haven't got much or any, then having your name published would be the first priority. So, demand full credit in development.
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore this stardom mantra.

I never had problems with deposits into my bank account. The legal issues are when you PHYSICALLY.............

Let's look at that again, p h y s i c a l l y...............

walk into a building and are checked that you shouldn't be working there.

So, what is your question boy? Yea, I am talking to you boy. What is your problem? You want to write up some 14 dialogues and who knows the whatsees on why you doing 14?

Make it 15 then boy. Yea, boy, make 15 dialogues. They didn't let negroes into baseball until Jackie Robinson and that total dropped by one when he entered (counting only whites that is).

What does a 1 lesson dialogue trash sandwich mean to you?

What I am saying boy, is write your dialogues. Sell them to this Korean sheila. Then, sell them elsewhere.

Immigration doesn't inspect your bank account. Police might inspect your location. Remember that boy.

Yea boy, I am talking to you boy. What you got your feathers in a ruffle for?
chaz47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertaining but not so informative so far. Very Happy
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you will actually get paid for it.
chaz47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I at least be afraid of vindictive co-workers overhearing and reporting me to the gestapo?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:
Should I at least be afraid of vindictive co-workers overhearing and reporting me to the gestapo?

"Uh-uh-uh, I know what you're gonna say, son. When two halves is gone, there's nothin' left. And you're right, it's a little ole worm, who wasn't there. Two nothin's is nothin'." - Foghorn Leghorn

No wiser words have been said in cartoons or life. If you are worried about the first school reporting you, then don't talk with the second school while you are at work.

Keep both halves, don't gamble with one.
chaz47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pet project for a co-worker. I wouldn't be going to any other school or talking with anyone besides her. I told her I will help, but if we discuss it, it has to be outside of earshot of our other co-workers. In general I would say they are a trustworthy lot, but with the $1,000 reward they (used to?) offer for reporting outside work... well... best not to tempt fate.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:
It's a pet project for a co-worker. I wouldn't be going to any other school or talking with anyone besides her. I told her I will help, but if we discuss it, it has to be outside of earshot of our other co-workers. In general I would say they are a trustworthy lot, but with the $1,000 reward they (used to?) offer for reporting outside work... well... best not to tempt fate.

Just plan your lessons on your computer, when you go away to the bathroom the Korean teacher you are doing this with "needs to give you some tests for tomorrow's classes" Wink

She goes to put them on your computer with a USB stick and whatever she copies, only the little birds know. After work, she gives you the money or makes a bank transfer. Done deal.

Quote:
I've been approached by a Korean coworker who is being offered a position as a guest lecturer at a university. I believe the university is in the UK, but I'm not certain.

This means there are 2 schools, there are 2 locations. Even if it is way out in UK, pick another second location to deal with this. Don't do it at the office as I mentioned unless you want to bump up the risk level. Your choice.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:

Gestapo? Really?

Good lord...well the good news is you may have a future in fiction writing.

As for your OP: you cannot legally do what you described under your E2 unless you get permission to work at a second location and if that second location-job meets the kimmi requirements.

You could do it illegally but that is up to you and you would be violating your visa restrictions and could face legal trouble if caught (fine, perhaps deportation but not likely).

I would also say, make sure you DO get paid for this work if you choose to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: