Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EWAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: EWAS Reply with quote

has anyone heard of English With a Smile? I think it's somewhere in Seoul, I can't remember exactly. I've been contacted by a guy named Joshua who is the director, any info would be great.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Now I know in part... Reply with quote

Hi,

EWAS originated in Israel. They had a recruiter set up at my university (here in Ontario, Canada) last spring. The guy said they had only been in Korea a short time. You are paired with a Korean teacher. They supply the teaching material. That's all I know.

Have you checked out their web site?

Good luck...

Kate in Canada
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: EWAS Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts on the EWAS hagwons:

==================================
Korean Job Discussion Forum
EWAS Bundang...yikes!
Posted By: Briefcase Body
Date: Monday, 6 January 2003, at 12:51 a.m.
Just in case anyone is thinking of working for EWAS (English With A Smile) in Bundang...think again. You would be better off taking your chances selling gum on the subway.
The disorganization is laughable. Teachers are bailing out left right and center, and the unfortunate ones who remain are usually told to get in and cover class...with no extra pay at all! What?!?? As far as I know, if we all wanted to work for free, we could stay home and watch TV for free instead.
The owners are so cheap that the kids, who shill out a cool W600000 to attend, are provided the shabbiest of shabby lunches...supplies are a bare minimum...teachers are directly blamed for every shortcoming of the school...the list goes on.
Teachers are treated like dogs...Weekend meetings in which the owner tells the teachers "if you don't show up, you're fired." Pay is based on a peculiar system whereby your hours are calculated in a mysterious manner in an effort for those misers to not have to pay a cent extra to anyone. They try to make you feel like you are a jerk if you ask for any kind of explanation.
The Korean teachers have been cycling in and out of there, and I know of at least 3 foreigners who disappeared into the night rather than put up with that circus.
I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.
==========================================================
Re: EWAS Bundang...yikes!
Posted By: gj
Date: Monday, 6 January 2003, at 12:58 p.m.
In Response To: EWAS Bundang...yikes! <http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710158305> (Briefcase Body)
Ditto for CIE in Bundang. It's pitiful! Some of their Korean teachers have not been paid for three to four months.They are really struggling.
==========================================================
EWAS school
Posted By: jay
Date: Tuesday, 7 January 2003, at 4:58 p.m.
I would like to say that I am a former employee of one of the EWAS schools and they are a great compnay/school to work for.
The Bundang one might not be but I have no personal experience of that location but the others provided an efficient and professional working evvironment.
As for the owner being cheap,... I think that it might just be the Bundang one again as my owner and the teachers at the other locations never made mention of this nor were they dissatisfied with their owners.
Overall,.. EWAS was an excellent experience for me.
================================================

http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?noframes;read=132710160698
Stay Away from EWAS in Daechi
Posted By: Friend
Date: Tuesday, 11 February 2003, at 1:13 a.m.
For anyone that is looking for a job, stay away from EWAS in Daechi dong. They might be advertising under their new name of ENC. These people are very very crooked. They are famous for firing teachers before the end of their contracts, with no reasons, and without any notice. The conditions at the school are not normal for Korea... these people threaten their teachers on regular basis. The owner, Ms. Bae has no idea what she is doing and all she is after is the tuition money. She will not even speak to her teachers. There are many good schools in
Korea, so do your research and stay away from this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: