Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banner at Korea-Japan soccer game stirs trouble
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Banner at Korea-Japan soccer game stirs trouble Reply with quote

Quote:
Japanese media outlets grew upset over the Korean banner, “A nation which forgets its history has no future,” sprawled across Korean fans at the East Asian Cup Korea-Japan football match on July 28.

The Japanese media also reported on the banners depicting Admiral Yi Sun-shin and independence martyr An Jung-geun.

“Voicing political statements in a football game is strictly forbidden, and according to FIFA regulations, Korea may face repercussions,” commented Sankei News.

The Japanese paper added that Korean player Park Jong-woo faced consequences for running onto the field with a placard reading, “Dokdo is our land,” at the London Olympics Korea-Japan match last year.

“The face of anti-Japanese movement hero An Jung-geun was hanging on a banner before the game,” stated Yomiuri News. “It’s a shame they brought historical issues to a sports competition.”

Source
IPayInCash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not surprising.

Could you imagine if the Japanese hung a banner about comfort women and the occupation of Korea? The Koreans would go nuts over this.

They also pulled this in the Olympics. Have some class Koreans. You're no better than the racists at football matches that throw bananas at the black players.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPayInCash wrote:
This is not surprising.

Could you imagine if the Japanese hung a banner about comfort women and the occupation of Korea? The Koreans would go nuts over this.

They also pulled this in the Olympics. Have some class Koreans. You're no better than the racists at football matches that throw bananas at the black players.

Say that to Steelrails..
fezmond

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the stadium. A guy near us was waving his imperial Japanese flag for a good while before security made him take it down.

The Korean side has their two flags/banners with Yi Sun Shin and An Jung-geun and then the text about the future/past.

Don't agree with that shit from either side but it was telling that the single Japanese fan was made to withdraw his within about 5 minutes whereas it took nearly 50 for the 'no future' banner on the Korean side.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPayInCash wrote:
This is not surprising.

Only in the mind of Korea bashers could a banner that reads "Dokdo is our land" or "A nation that forgets its history has no future" (As true a statement as any) could be considered as bad as throwing bananas at black players.

That being said, they are against regulations and stiff penalties should be assessed.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Only in the mind of Korea bashers could a banner that reads "Dokdo is our land" or "A nation that forgets its history has no future" (As true a statement as any) could be considered as bad as throwing bananas at black players.

What an outrageous thing to assume - who has compared silly banners at football grounds to racism - except for you of course?
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean sportsmanship at it's finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYBV9BXQNY
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuPa4p2TMA

Korean racism at its finest.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:

Unbelievable. Yet they spout this "Global Korea" garbage. "Korea for the world. The world for Korea." Confused
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:

Unbelievable. Yet they spout this "Global Korea" garbage. "Korea for the world. The world for Korea." Confused

Never fear - Steelrails will be along in a moment to make an excuse on their behalf! Laughing
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's racism at its finest- robbie_davies "outrage" over the chicken commercial. Yawns over the Asiana pilot name thing. Either both are racist or neither is.

Quote:
What an outrageous thing to assume - who has compared silly banners at football grounds to racism - except for you of course?

The poster above. Do you even bother to read?

PayInCash wrote:
You're no better than the racists at football matches that throw bananas at the black players.

Why don't you go tear PayInCash a new one? Or better yet, go take yourself to task for getting outraged at me over something a basher did in their own post.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Dave's racism at its finest- robbie_davies "outrage" over the chicken commercial. Yawns over the Asiana pilot name thing. Either both are racist or neither is.

Actually Steelrails - I thought the mockery of that Asiana plane accident was a complete disgrace and that the people concerned never work again. However, not being an American, I thought I would keep my mouth shut on that one. If the BBC had done it, I would have said something.

Now - is that advert disgraceful or what? No excusing it now - yes or no?

Quote:
The poster above. Do you even bother to read?

Hmmm - I missed that, of course it isn't as bad but trust you to excuse Korean bad behaviour and rampant nationalism.

Quote:
Why don't you go tear PayInCash a new one? Or better yet, go take yourself to task for getting outraged at me over something a basher did in their own post.

Indeed, but I won't. Because instead of admitting that the Koreans were actually acting badly - you excuse their bad behaviour - again. And why do they have to abuse black players on the pitch when Korean media do a good enough job on the nations TV screens.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Both examples are a bit dodgy to say the least but the slightly more shocking element to the advert was that a lot mpore people were involved in the process in a work situation and most of them probably didn't see anything wrong with it.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually Steelrails - I thought the mockery of that Asiana plane accident was a complete disgrace and that the people concerned never work again. However, not being an American, I thought I would keep my mouth shut on that one. If the BBC had done it, I would have said something.

Now - is that advert disgraceful or what? No excusing it now - yes or no?

I'm not a Korean citizen, I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

Are you a Korean? Why don't you keep your mouth set on this one? Why are you only opening your mouth when it involves Koreans doing wrong, but don't open your mouth when Koreans are the victims?

You are neither Korean nor American. You choose to stay silent on American bigotry involving Koreans. You loudly condemn Korean bigotry involving Japanese.

And yes, the ad was bad. But like the numerous racist ads that have appeared in the US, Australia, and I'm sure the UK, I condemn the individuals who made them, not the culture and nation. I think for me to do so would make, me well, a disgraceful racist. However, you may differ and believe that condemning an entire nation and people for the misdeeds of a few is not a racist thing to do.

Quote:
Hmmm - I missed that, of course it isn't as bad but trust you to excuse Korean bad behaviour and rampant nationalism.

Except I also wrote this-

Quote:
That being said, they are against regulations and stiff penalties should be assessed.

Anything else you wish to miss while you are reading? Seems to be a common problem with you bashers. Gloss over parts that don't fit your narrative. Ignore nuance and previous history.

Quote:
Indeed, but I won't. Because instead of admitting that the Koreans were actually acting badly - you excuse their bad behaviour - again.

Except I didn't excuse their bad behavior. Read again. I said that it certainly wasn't as bad as throwing banana peels, something you agree with. Then I called for stiff penalties.

Where exactly did I excuse their behavior?

Quote:
And why do they have to abuse black players on the pitch when Korean media do a good enough job on the nations TV screens.

Kyochon Chicken, their advertising agency, Korean football fans, and "The Korean Media" are not some monolithic entity.

Your country has had some embarrasing ads at times, America has as well, so has Korea. I don't see why that is somehow related to Korean football fans not throwing banana peels on the pitch.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes, the ad was bad. But like the numerous racist ads that have appeared in the US, Australia, and I'm sure the UK, I condemn the individuals who made them, not the culture and nation. I think for me to do so would make, me well, a disgraceful racist. However, you may differ and believe that condemning an entire nation and people for the misdeeds of a few is not a racist thing to do.

That ad would probably not get made nowadays in the UK and it certainly wouldn't be aired. This is mostly down to the institutions in the UK - TV companies that make their employees do compulsory diversity training, the advertising standards board, the schools that teach kids you can't make that kind of joke any more etc...Of course there are still a lot of racists in the UK but the general culture/environment restricts what they can get away with. Individuals can and do still make themselves heard, like the plane crash joker. So I think you can blame Korean cuture to a certain extent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: