Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea to open foreigner-friendly recreational forest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Korea to open foreigner-friendly recreational forest Reply with quote

This will be good for some of you who enjoy the great outdoors.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130802000686

Quote:
Korea to open foreigner-friendly recreational forest in capital area
ASEAN Recreational Forest to provide fun, relaxation for foreign workers, families

As the number of foreign nationals in Korea ― including Asian workers, tourists and multicultural families ― soars to some 1.5 million, the Korea Forest Service, the nation’s forest policy maker, is preparing to open the first foreigner-friendly national recreational forest in Yangju, Gyeonggi Province, next year as part of its forest-based welfare policy for citizens, a senior KFS official said.

“The first-of-its-kind national recreational forest, to be named ‘ASEAN Recreational Forest,’ will offer foreign-passport holders a preferred right to use a variety of recreational facilities, including log cabins and equipment for camping in the woods,” Seo Kyung-dug, director general of the National Natural Recreational Forest Office under the KFS, said in a recent interview with The Korea Herald. The office is responsible for establishing and managing national recreational forests.

“The main targets for the upcoming foreign-friendly recreational forest are foreign workers and multicultural family members living and working in Korea. For a multicultural setting, log cabins in this forest will be built based on the different types of traditional houses from 10 ASEAN member nations,” he said.

The KFS runs 37 national recreational forests nationwide, which are a unique type of state-owned forests in Korea allowed by law to install an array of recreational facilities, including boardwalks, camping zones and log cabins, in a limited area within a forest.

Another positive

Quote:
To improve the relatively low recognition of national recreational forests among the foreign community, the National Natural Recreational Forest Office will soon open a foreign language-based website and an online booking system, he added.

Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be funny if there were signs leading into the forest, but nothing leading out
Smile
javis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want some thematic log cabin, board walks and lighting. I want a dirt path in the woods, permission to set up my tent in a quiet clearing, and the expectation that I and the other hikers will clean up after ourselves.
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does this imply that all other forests aren't foreigner friendly? Otherwise, this seems kind of strange. I can only imagine such a thing in the USA: "Obama announces new Latino National Park!"
Julius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Daft.

There is forest all over the country, if I want to see trees I can walk about 10 minutes and there's a hill with woods on it and paths to walk through.

Why would anyone think they have to travel miles to go to some kind of "foreigners only " forest. Its stupid.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they be as foreigner-friendly as those foreigner only taxis? So if the hot water doesn't come on in the evening, for example, you can pick up the phone and immediately get an English speaker on the line.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it will have a Jolly Bees...
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it'll turn into a Gay pickup place. Laughing
javis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:

Because there are no gay Koreans.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javis wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Because there are no gay Koreans.

Nah, trust me there are Korean LBGTs, but because it's a foreigners FRIENDLY not foreigners ONLY place. Laughing
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A website in different languages where foreigners can easily reserve cabins and camp sites in the national parks is a good idea, but this sounds like some kind of theme park rather than a camping experience.

And why give foreigners preference in a Korean national park?

The energy would be put to better use training the KFS people how to run a forest. They could first learn they don't need speakers and paved concrete paths.

I just did some of the hiking course in Jeju, and they use heavy rope mats along some paths to keep the soil from washing away and from becoming muddy. They work well.
brauggi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems so pointless. How are any of the the existing forests NOT foreigner friendly? Are the trees nationalists?
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreigner-friendly online shopping, bank accounts, credit cards etc should be a more pressing issue, I would think.
yodanole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be if they were truly Korean trees.....

brauggi wrote:
This seems so pointless. How are any of the the existing forests NOT foreigner friendly? Are the trees nationalists?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brauggi wrote:

It's segregation with a smile- separate but equal. So, now you can "get your camp on" surrounded by all of your 3D worker friends. Won't that be nice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: