Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SINGLE MOM IN KOREA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: SINGLE MOM IN KOREA Reply with quote

Hi, if any of you responded to my query on the other discussion forum I thank you for your input. It seems that going to work in Korea as a single mother is not a good idea according to the opinions of some of the contributors to the forum.

Can anyone out there give me more input on the feasibility of bringing kids to Korea? I am a seasoned ESL professional and have dealt with individuals from a myriad of cultures as I have taught in the Canadian government program for immigrants (LINC). I also lived and worked in Mexico for almost 3 years so I have a high degree of cultural sensitivity and flexibility.
Thanks
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: schooling Reply with quote

My guess is the big problem you'll run into is schooling. You don't mention your kids' ages but if they're school age they'd need to go to international schools, and your salary in Korea almost certainly won't be able to afford those. They're HUGE money, unless you win the lottery and land a job at one. And if they're not school age you'd need to pay for some sore of daycare while you work, and daycare here isn't like it is in Canada. This is still the land of the mom-stays-home.

Another thing to consider is the relative insecurity of jobs here. You might not be the kind of person who takes off when the going gets rough, but your school may turn out to be less than reputable and violate the contract on their end. That's not a huge crisis for independent 20-somethings who can just mobe on to a new schools, but it could be for you if you have kids enrolled in a particular school, and you're tied to that area.

So, basically, the vibe you're picking up on the board about bringing kids is correct. It's not the best idea, at least not Korea.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: single parent..... Reply with quote

Many International schools are found in the major cities in Korea. You might want to look into that or even the possibility of teaching in one of the International schools. These schools are based on North American systems and only foreign passport holders can attend. I would NOT want my child attending a Korean public school. I have taught in the public school system in Korea and I now know why Koreans are not happy with Korean education. Do not subjuct your children to Korean education or schools. They will resent it in the long run. The lower grades are fine; K-4 or even 5, but getting into the 6th, middle school and high school.... nope.
Another point; you won't be earning much over 2 million Won per month. That does not go a long way if one has a family. You only need to read the replies on this site and others to know that Korea is a undesireable location.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Single Mom Reply with quote

"I also lived and worked in Mexico for almost 3 years so I have a high degree of cultural sensitivity and flexibility."

You may be able to adapt to cultures easily but the main question is can your kid? I dont know if you had a chance to read that story I posted about the mum who went to Korea with her kid and how traumatic it was for him. Could your kid cope?

The culture shock is big for adults and oriental culture is VERY VERY different to any western culture. Think about your child especially if he is under the age of 14, suddenly he is in this society were he is hearing a strange new language he can't understand, smelling strange new smells, seeing strange new lettering that he cannot comprehend, he is sitting on the floor to eat instead of on a chair he is having to use chopsticks instead of a fork. He will have no friends at first in Korea and may find it hard to mix with other Korean kids as he cannot speak their language. Think very carefully before bringing a kid to Korea and if you really must go make sure you have all the bases covered, make sure your accommodation is ready, make sure your kid has a bed to sleep in make sure you are not working split shifts or you will never see him, make sure any necessary baby sitting arrangements are taken care of and DEMAND (politely at first) that his schooling is sorted out BEFORE you go out there.
kimsnowy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: think carefully before doing it Reply with quote

I'm not a single mom. I'm married to a Korean and have one daughter. It's difficult for me to work with a child, and I have a family support system that you will not have here. What age is your child? Daycare is cheap-but will you be able to get it for the hours you are going to be working? This is can be a problem. If your child is school-age, you will not be able to afford an international school-unless you can get a job in one. Look up "International schools in Korea" on yahoo. I've seen prices ranging from $12,000-$17,000 US for one year in an international school. This a good portion of your salary. The only other option is a Korean school, or possibly home schooling. I would think twice about putting my child in a Korean school. It is imperative that you are upfront with any potential employer about your expectations, so that you can rule out employer's who can not give you what you need. I think we need to hear more about the age of your child, so that we can give you more concrete advice.

Deanna
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: SINGLE MOM IN KOREA Reply with quote

micru wrote:
Hi, if any of you responded to my query on the other discussion forum I thank you for your input. It seems that going to work in Korea as a single mother is not a good idea according to the opinions of some of the contributors to the forum.

Okay, I'm going to break with the norm of what everyone else is probably saying and will continu to say. For one, you have already been in Mexico for three years teaching English. I lived in South America for almost a year, and living and making ends meet is about 10 times more difficult than living and making things meet in Korea.

I would say coming to Korea would be a great step! For one, you will have a great income, you will be in an incredibly safe and friendly environment for children, and you will meet alot of really good people!

Not only that, but unline the Latin countries, they give you free housing in Korea. With all of the extra income you make here over a place like Mexico, you could easily put your child into a foreign school.

Also, contrary to others, I have met a small handful, but definetely in existance troop of others who are doing the same as you want to do now. I have one male friends who is a single father and father of 3 kids here in Seoul. I think he finds supporting them here is signifantly easier than going home to the USA and trying to keep it together.

Anyhow, keep on posting. They are here in Korea, and I think they like it too. The single male father with 3 kids has been here for something like 10 years? He started his family while in the military here, and after trying to go home, he thought it was easier to just teach English here instead.

I hope you come over. It'll be an easier lifestyle than teaching in Latin America.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving out the diatribes and denunciations. It would be very expensive to educate your child here.

I like kids, I'd like to meet a single mom here.
backtotheROK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do this?
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backtotheROK wrote:
Did you do this?

Jesus man, this thread is over 10 years OLD. The kid is probably grown up and out of the house.

Being a single mom in Korea, is hard for Korean women. Even worse I would say for waygooks.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a single mother story for you -

My American female co-worker go pregnant by a scooter delivery boy. When she told him he ignored her for two weeks. When his family found out they tried to get sole custody of the child. She consulted the free lawyer at the Seoul help center place and he told her to go back to the US.
Last I heard she was back in the US living with her mother. I don't know what delivery boy is doing.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: think carefully before doing it Reply with quote

kimsnowy wrote:
I've seen prices ranging from $12,000-$17,000 US for one year in an international school.

Sorry, but your numbers are way too low. Most intl. schools in Korea are 26K to 32K per year.

http://www.chadwickinternational.org/page.cfm?p=3202

==
Those rates are more than most ESL salaries. Also I'm not sure some of these private schools are better than a middle class (not ghetto) school in Western countries.
thegadfly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: think carefully before doing it Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
kimsnowy wrote:
I've seen prices ranging from $12,000-$17,000 US for one year in an international school.

Sorry, but your numbers are way too low. Most intl. schools in Korea are 26K to 32K per year.

http://www.chadwickinternational.org/page.cfm?p=3202

==
Those rates are more than most ESL salaries. Also I'm not sure some of these private schools are better than a middle class (not ghetto) school in Western countries.

10 years old -- those prices were probably spot on 10 years ago
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is a grandmother now! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: