Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My ongoing quest for an Optimus G Pro...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: My ongoing quest for an Optimus G Pro... Reply with quote

I've been searching this forum, other forums, the web, and Facebook for answers but can't get any reliable information. I'll try to phrase my questions as succinctly as possible here.

1.) If I buy a G Pro online, from G Market for example, will it be unlocked? My Korean co-worker has told me that getting a phone unlocked is very simple nowadays but dribs and drabs of information I've garnered suggest otherwise. My main concern is, I don't want to shell out over $500 for a phone that I can only use in Korea.

2.) What is a fair price at a shop for one of these nowadays? I see lots of signs that indicate low prices but when I enter the shop and begin negotiation they generally tack on an additional $100 - $200 more than the sign out front indicated.

3.) With a Korean coworker I was able to negotiate what he said was a fair price. The shop offered a 3 year contract at 56,000 won a month. They claimed that the phone was unlocked AND if I left Korea there was no penalty. They said the phone was mine to keep without any sort of fine, etc. But if I stayed in Korea longer than a year I would have to continue paying on the same 3 year contract until its completion... or I left the country.
* Personally, I find this highly suspect as being a foreigner here has rarely been an advantage when dealing with bureaucracy and contracts.
** Later that day, when speaking with another coworker about this contract I was told that there is in fact no such thing as a three year contract with the actual providers, and that individual shops crafted them to keep your business longer.

Please help.

Question
Seon-bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking of getting the Pro G, but the new G2 also appeals. Going back to compare.

I was told it is unlocked.

Offered one or two-year contract. No three-year to my knowledge. Can also pay as you go.

Better check the details of the contract. Sounds like you'd be paying for the phone for three years in addition to the monthly rate plan. Which rate plan.

You'd have to pay off the phone if you leave unless you buy it outright.
furtakk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* most new phones come unlocked. I was told that I'd have no problems swapping sims when I go home this fall. I won't know for sure until next month though...
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My ongoing quest for an Optimus G Pro... Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:

3.) With a Korean coworker I was able to negotiate what he said was a fair price. The shop offered a 3 year contract at 56,000 won a month. They claimed that the phone was unlocked AND if I left Korea there was no penalty. They said the phone was mine to keep without any sort of fine, etc. But if I stayed in Korea longer than a year I would have to continue paying on the same 3 year contract until its completion... or I left the country.

Question

That's nonsense (being polite). A 3 year contract is a 3 year contract -
Then again, if you did opt to leave Korea without completing the contract, it's unlikely that they would follow you to your country in order for you to pay the fine.

There is a good reason why there are so many contract takeover offers on the net. On one hand, those people could easily just leave the country with their phones in the middle of a contract, but if they ever returned, they would have problems (dunno how big, but problems regardless).

It seems that the shopworker was more interested in the signing fee - hence his explanation, but a contract would likely say something very different. Otherwise what's to stop you from getting a phone, leaving one month later to never return? You would have a 500$ phone for only 50 dollars^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: