Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chomsky: "Korea grew because it ignored West"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unposter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why a decline in population is such a bad thing...the planet is stretched to its limits as is with population. I mean do we really need to breed like rabbits with the world the way it is today?

On the other hand, it may lead to (by necessity) redistributions of the world's population and more internationalization. More open borders and more "international" education not more parochialism is what is necessary - kind of like Gates and Buffet going to China and giving a lecture on the need for Philanthropy - (an interesting concept in of itself if I may say so).

-Or- we can bury our heads in the sand and say its not my problem. Each man to himself. Build up walls to keep everyone else out and protect what we got. That is the other solution - though not one that I would favor.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decline in population is not a bad thing if it is even and measured. As it is, few skilled workers will have to pay alot of taxes and have a hard time raising kids in order to fund pensions for old people.

Importing tons of unskilled labour is good for the company, but bad for the society. It reduces wages for the unskilled workers, and lessens their political clout. It also contributes very little to the prospects of supporting the pensioners, as the little they pay in taxes does not make up for the social programs they use (I think)

If you could import lots of skilled labor with an interet in adopting your culture it will work. If you import lots of poor people with no interest in becoming a part of the culture it is a disaster.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:
I really don't understand why a decline in population is such a bad thing...the planet is stretched to its limits as is with population. I mean do we really need to breed like rabbits with the world the way it is today?

On the other hand, it may lead to (by necessity) redistributions of the world's population and more internationalization. More open borders and more "international" education not more parochialism is what is necessary - kind of like Gates and Buffet going to China and giving a lecture on the need for Philanthropy - (an interesting concept in of itself if I may say so).

-Or- we can bury our heads in the sand and say its not my problem. Each man to himself. Build up walls to keep everyone else out and protect what we got. That is the other solution - though not one that I would favor.

Move people from low consumption nations into high consumption nations (thereby increasing consumption) or move people from high consumption nations into low consumption nations (who will turn it - if in sufficient numbers - into higher consumption nations)? Which?

You've not thought this out. Gates is trying to decrease african fertility. He's trying to diminish the number of africans. True.
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan Sinks Into Recession as Abe Calls for More Stimulus Steps

Quote:

Japan�s economy sank into recession in the second and third quarters, fueling opposition leader Shinzo Abe�s calls for more stimulus and highlighting the risk that weak growth will derail a planned sales-tax rise.
Gross domestic product shrank an annualized 3.5 percent in the three months through September, the Cabinet Office�s second estimate showed in Tokyo today, matching a preliminary reading. The government revised the previous quarter to a 0.1 percent contraction, matching the textbook definition of a recession.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-10/japan-s-economy-contracts-more-than-forecast-in-third-quarter.html
visitorq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Japan Sinks Into Recession as Abe Calls for More Stimulus Steps

Quote:

Japan�s economy sank into recession in the second and third quarters, fueling opposition leader Shinzo Abe�s calls for more stimulus and highlighting the risk that weak growth will derail a planned sales-tax rise.
Gross domestic product shrank an annualized 3.5 percent in the three months through September, the Cabinet Office�s second estimate showed in Tokyo today, matching a preliminary reading. The government revised the previous quarter to a 0.1 percent contraction, matching the textbook definition of a recession.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-10/japan-s-economy-contracts-more-than-forecast-in-third-quarter.html

Japan's economy has been "contracting" for 30 years now... Yet they still have some of the best goods and services on the planet, and arguably a higher standard of consumer quality than any other country in the world.

Japan is proof that deflationary economics does not = a depression. If anything is hurting the economy, it's the continued stimulus plans and pork-barrel spending (i.e. building roads to nowhere, which the Japanese gov't is notorious for). The Japanese private sector is good for the most part, but the Japanese government is one of the most incompetent and wasteful I've ever seen.
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Titus wrote:
Korea had a military dictator (see problems in India) a very energetic high IQ population, American engineering (nobody ever talks about engineering and development) and free and not reciprocated access to American markets.

Regarding Japan's "crony capitalism":

http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue23/Locke23.htm

Everybody stop what you're doing and read the above. Japan is not "crony capitalist". It's not even capitalist. It is, forgive my bluntness, fascistic. And it works.

So I guess Chomsky is right. Korea didn't use free trade, didn't allow Goldman to rape the population, and so on. How's our system working out for us?

Japan's economic system works?

Rolling Eyes

Two lost decades and counting. There was once a time where SONY was the number one consumer electronics company in the world. How's that working out? Indeed Japan is even worse off now than it was when the article was written Japan is in terrible economic condition for now and beyond.

A lost decade by what measure? Whose measure? Equity markets and housing prices? Japan's unemployment is low, inflation is low, incomes are up. They are ***better off*** after the "lost decades" than during the asset bubble of the previous decade.

up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: