Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone English (paid teaching)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmax500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Phone English (paid teaching) Reply with quote

Has anyone tried teaching "Phone English"? If so, how is it and how much does it pay?

This link mentions some students pay 120,000won a month for 10 minute daily classes: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/08/180_41418.html
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teachers get paid less than 20 an hour, if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe somewhere between 14 and 20. The nice thing about it that you can do it at home in your pjs. I remember doing phone tutoring at 6 in the morning still in bed. Pretty tedious work though.
J Rock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Hagwon tried to implement a phone call system to the students on Sunday evenings. It sounded easy enough so I said yes.

Huge mistake! It was awful, the kids DO NOT WANT TO DO IT. Between the crackling on the phone line, the blaring tv at their house, and the mom in the background trying to coach little Min Su what to say, neither one of us could understand a thing.

I had a list of questions I was supposed to read from that had like 30 questions on it. At about the 3rd sunday of these phone calls, I shortened it down to like one question, "what did you eat for dinner?" and the only answer anyone ever gave me was, "rice."

I even had kids hanging up on me as soon as I said, "hi, it's Jordan teacher!" They would groan and quietly hang up the phone.

Never again.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Rock wrote:
My old Hagwon tried to implement a phone call system to the students on Sunday evenings. It sounded easy enough so I said yes.

Huge mistake! It was awful, the kids DO NOT WANT TO DO IT. Between the crackling on the phone line, the blaring tv at their house, and the mom in the background trying to coach little Min Su what to say, neither one of us could understand a thing.

I had a list of questions I was supposed to read from that had like 30 questions on it. At about the 3rd sunday of these phone calls, I shortened it down to like one question, "what did you eat for dinner?" and the only answer anyone ever gave me was, "rice."

I even had kids hanging up on me as soon as I said, "hi, it's Jordan teacher!" They would groan and quietly hang up the phone.

Never again.

My Pre Apology

But this is one of the funniest things I've read. I can picture it!

thanx for the laugh
tmax500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys , 14-20k sounds about right - it seems little for early morning teaching. I read YBM charges students 120k-140k a month for daily 10 minute calls.

The students hanging up comment is very funny indeed!
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faeriehazel wrote:
I remember doing phone tutoring at 6 in the morning still in bed. Pretty tedious work though.

Tedious is an understatement.

I did phone tutoring for a few weeks with an elementary student. My alarm would go off at 6:30 AM and I'd groggily phone his mom's cell. She would proceed to go wake him up and pass him the phone. I'd try to make conversation, but the kid would fall asleep and I'd hear his mom wake him up again. I'd keep trying to converse, but he wouldn't. He'd whine and even cry. It was so stupid, but it was his mom's idea and she insisted we do it first thing in the morning. She explained to me that if he starts his day thinking and speaking in English he would improve the fastest.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids hanging up, that's nothing. How about the angry grandparents who

are wondering what this stupid wayguk is doing calling them. They scream and swear at you for a while in Korean and then hang up.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
faeriehazel wrote:
I remember doing phone tutoring at 6 in the morning still in bed. Pretty tedious work though.

I did phone tutoring for a few weeks with an elementary student. My alarm would go off at 6:30 AM and I'd groggily phone his mom's cell. She would proceed to go wake him up and pass him the phone. I'd try to make conversation, but the kid would fall asleep and I'd hear his mom wake him up again. I'd keep trying to converse, but he wouldn't. He'd whine and even cry. It was so stupid, but it was his mom's idea and she insisted we do it first thing in the morning. She explained to me that if he starts his day thinking and speaking in English he would improve the fastest.

I guess the word 'resentment' doesn't exist in her vocabulary.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

^^.This.

I remember using this as a negotiating tool for re-signing several years ago.
I said in lieu of a raise, no more making phone calls to my students,and I'll sign on the dotted line for another year.
My hogwan boss agreed. It was and remains one of my happiest memories
about teaching in Korea! The stress factor just wasn't worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: